•  
Advertise here

Engine fan direct viscose clutch is good or bad?

desertdude

Never a good idea. Puts extra load on your motor as its engaged all the time, robs it of a few hps and your mpg drops. Not to mention noisy as hell all the time. 

Why not just buy another clutch from another place or if you are too jaded after the last show, get it directly from Habtoor.

• Like (+1) 1

just few blades directed will no even kill a horse let alone a few maybe a feet or two might be missing of one horse but other 200 or 250 horses are there to run around...that same happens if you change your tyre sizes and make suspension changes and as the engine and drivetrain ages but at that time i don't remember people moaning about it...trust me i am a mechanic :-D i guarantee my work for next 80 years or until the shroud falls and breaks the fan blades...:-D:-D

Edited by shadow79
more info

The viscous clutch is there for a reason and from a professional standpoint, running long term with it constantly locked up is never a good idea. 

Fuel consumption will be increased by a noticeable amount. 

Horsepower will be reduced. Hard to guess a figure on it without doing the proper math but I’d say maybe 10 BHP. The fan blades are at a pretty sharp angle to allow them to push more air and it takes a lot of power to turn them. One of the first mods I do on anything I buy with a longitudinally mounted engine is to remove the fan completely and fit an electric fan with a thermostatically controlled switch mounted directly into the cooling system rather than running off the air temperature in the engine bay.

Added stress on belts, bearings and associated components. 

The engine will take longer to reach operating temperature which will in turn have knock on effects,

Again, increased fuel consumption. Temperature sensors will read the engine as cold so the ECU will request extra fuel. 

This rich running condition will lead to extra carbon in the engine. Fouled spark plugs which will again affect fuel consumption, fouled valves which could lead to a sticky valve or bad valve seal against the head leading to lower compression. Carbon in the ports which will affect free gas flow leading to a reduction in horsepower. 

The oil will take longer to reach optimal temperature. Camshafts, crankshaft, bearings, rings and other components may suffer.

barry that will happen but not in this hot country...as the temp still raises and still reaches that less then half position... electric fan is a very nice idea all together but in that time frame that just had to remove and fix another clutch this was the best option and till now its all good the car has gone off roading and was on road no complains and no negative feeds so no harm done and its going gr8 too then what is the need of fixing something which ain't broke....  

Edited by shadow79
more info

Recently due to some unavoidable circumstances, I have opted for doing direct (all-time engaged) engine fan viscose clutch. So just curious to know if it's good or bad? Thanks

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.