•  
Advertise here

Types of Jacks - Which one do you prefer?

Javier M

4 hours ago, PETELCZYC PAJERO - luke said:

@Looper @DP1011

Prime day arrived. I got a big 4T floor Jack and a couple of 3T stands with flat bases as a backup for when pushing those tyres back on.

Thanks for the tips. 👍👍

4T is really overkill for desert use as it's huge and super heavy. Good for home repairs or workshops.

1.5 - 2.0 Ton jack is plenty because at any time you are lifting one tire and not the whole car (2.5 Ton car divided by 4 = 700 - 1000 kgs roughly on one tire).

Buying a reliable and good quality one is the most important in my eyes. Jack stand are awesome for lengthy repairs and double protection in tricky places.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

15 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

4T is really overkill for desert use as it's huge and super heavy. Good for home repairs or workshops.

1.5 - 2.0 Ton jack is plenty because at any time you are lifting one tire and not the whole car (2.5 Ton car divided by 4 = 700 - 1000 kgs roughly on one tire).

Buying a reliable and good quality one is the most important in my eyes. Jack stand are awesome for lengthy repairs and double protection in tricky places.

was quite a good price though even though its heavy duty.
now that ive removed my rear seats in the trusty pajero i think the extra couple of kg weight of the heavy duty jack should be fine. 

Very interesting topic... (following...) 

Have only experienced a pop out (not me) once in our convoy lead by @Islam Soliman and @Davie Chase if I remember correctly in Al Qudra. 

Was amazed out how easily and quickly the pop out was repaired - in this case with the help of an air jack. 

My question - everyone keeps talking about a "board" that needs to be placed under the jack, never seen this and was wondering if anyone is able to share what it looks like? @Frederic you mention to keep the wheels on?, would this not increase the risk of the jack moving out of position? 

@Gaurav excellent advise on the size of the jack required, not right now, however will place a jack in my cart for the future :) 

Thanks for all the great insight @team Carnity!!!

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Theo09 said:

Have only experienced a pop out (not me) once in our convoy lead by @Islam Soliman and @Davie Chase if I remember correctly in Al Qudra. 

Was amazed out how easily and quickly the pop out was repaired - in this case with the help of an air jack. 

My question - everyone keeps talking about a "board" that needs to be placed under the jack, never seen this and was wondering if anyone is able to share what it looks like? @Frederic you mention to keep the wheels on?, would this not increase the risk of the jack moving out of position? 

@Gaurav excellent advise on the size of the jack required, not right now, however will place a jack in my cart for the future :) 

ive had one myself, and helped fix up a couple now. (none since switching to A/T tyres.. guessing i was running way too low psi .. whoops)

the board is literally just a decently sized piece of wood to increase surface area under the jack

there is some ABS plastic boards on amazon for jacking and mounting RV trailers etc on.. but seems like all the popouts ive encountered the support crew bring out decent cutting boards... ikea maybe?...  actually just nice flat piece of wood.

image.png.30f4c074f27fbc24c472ec0b8e1ae274.png

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Theo09 said:

@Theo09 its just a normal thick wooden board, to have stability for Jack, as its not hard surface in Sand, plus it gives some elevation to jack too. 

Please see what it looks like ;)

1 .jpeg

2.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, DP1011 said:

@Theo09 its just a normal thick wooden board, to have stability for Jack, as its not hard surface in Sand, plus it gives some elevation to jack too. 

1 .jpeg

2.jpeg

@Theo09the reason you need to keep the wheels on is because they:

1. widen the footprint

2. during the lifting you are never 100% directly underneath the jacking point, and you will notice that the floorjack slightly moves forward or backwards once you start lifting the car. This is good as it ensures the floorjack is not lifting at an incorrect angle. It's like during the time that jack will "settle" and put itself in the correct position and angle. Little bit difficult to explain but you will notice it clearly when using the floor jack.

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

2 hours ago, DP1011 said:

1 .jpeg

2.jpeg

Hi @DP1011,

Where could I get one if this trademarked boards? 😊

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Zulfikhar Naiyar said:

Hi @DP1011,

Where could I get one if this trademarked boards? 😊

Thanks for the compliment :D These boards were done by a friend few months ago, for some of us, its not available for sale / online 😅

• Sad (0) 1

• 5 months later...

Reviving this topic:

Partial further discussion was made in above topic.

I made a small overview below to show the existing different types, each with their own pros and cons.

Capture.JPG.0dd2da5d614716dde68b0374d2056937.JPG

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."