•  
Advertise here

What are you most scared of when driving?

Barry

For me it has to be getting hit from behind. You get stuck in a phantom traffic jam, put your hazard lights on. When you look in the rear view mirror you see someone closing up fast behind and think shit shit shit I hope this guy is going to see me and stop in time. Getting hit from behind has to be one of the worst things ever. Your whole day gets ruined because someone else wasn’t paying attention to the road then you lose so much time trying to get your car repaired when it wasn’t even your fault. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

22 minutes ago, sertac said:

Police cars. More specifically undercovered police cars. 

I used to be scared of police before. In my country they will pull you out of the car and beat you up for fun. I can show you the broken fingers to testify. In UAE I have always found the police to be decent and helpful and willing to listen to both sides of the argument. If you’re not doing anything illegal there’s nothing to worry about. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

1 hour ago, Barry said:

I used to be scared of police before. In my country they will pull you out of the car and beat you up for fun. I can show you the broken fingers to testify. In UAE I have always found the police to be decent and helpful and willing to listen to both sides of the argument. If you’re not doing anything illegal there’s nothing to worry about. 

I am joking. They are way better than Turkish police also. I only stopped by police once. I was using my cell phone and he nicely warned me and let me go. I dont even have any fine this year. 

I dont have a super car to be afraid of police. If i had a Hellcat or something maybe than i would be afraid to get caught on high speed driving.

• Like (+1) 2

Nice topic @Barry

Long ago, I have been fined for wrong speed when I was at 80 and got the radar for 102, since then every radar I pass my heart skips a beat to not to be faulty again and I literally glare in the lens for flash or no-flash. 

I used to use that 20 km grace speed a lot, but after that incident as I approach radar I come down to actual road speed minus the grace limit, just to be safe than sorry for 600 dhs.

Second I'm most scared of pedestrian crossing when I am the first one to see the pedestrian and stop, I'm always worried about next lane guy should see my car and stop too, as pedestrian will have no visual of the second lane in case that guy miss.

Third especially in bur dubai area, where STUPID parents put the pram first on road to stop the traffic literally make my blood boil as if someone fail to stop then that poor kid in the pram will be history due to idiotic parents.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Breaking down in the middle of a busy highway. But when it actually happened it wasn't so scary. I broke down in my D1 between Dubai and Abu Dhabi highway. The tensioner pulley broke and the belt just came off and sat there and didn't get mangeled in fan. I saw the battery light come up and AC compressor topped working so pulled over. 

I called my Sharjah parts guys and asked how much is a tensioner pulley for. It was for around 120dhs. Well I wasn't going to dish out 300 plus for a recovery truck just for that. So called up a buddy asked him to bring me the pulley from Shj and I will make it worth his while. He said he was at work and get off in 2 hrs and another to reach me. I said no worries. 

I took my matt out of the car and moved as far as possible away on the other side of the crash barrier and just chilled under a palm tree for my friend.

But to be honest it still is something always at the back of my mind when I'm driving. Hence I always carry a lot of tools and various other bits and bobs that might come in handy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1