•  
Advertise here

Jeep JK Sahara 2017 - Tire advice needed

Misha Puskar

hiya, I too have a question for my fellow jeepers! 6 months ago, I bought brand new, city tires that are great for SZR, however, with my now advanced 😁 offroad skills, I feel like I now need proper, all terrain tires. Google tells me all sorts of things, however, I d love to hear from you. I dont know much about tires, But I am looking for those that do not stick out like MAd MAx movie and wont increase massively my petrol consumption on SZR. NONO is chineese make but I also am not willing to spend ridiculously much, maybe upto like 3k? Any ideas? thanks! (My jeep is apparently JK Sahara 2017 - thanks to this thread I had no idea that jk and jl was a thing 🙊

• Like (+1) 1

Hi @Misha Puskar what’s the rim size you have? Sahara in JL is with 18 inch, am not sure about JK. This is a limiting element for JL as All Terrain options are limited with 18 inch above a particular size. 

JK in general I understand is okay to go upto 31 inch tyre without any challenge or need for lift etc. Most ppl here prefer Geolandar but heard some issues in new model with side wall. I have BF Goodrich AT2 and love them though a bit agressive looking(not wide but aggressive thread) and not smoothest on road. There are some threads where ppl mentioned about good experience with Michelin as well. If you choose the right size upto 285/17, generally won’t be an easy issue in JK. @Anoop K. Nair @Pacific have JK and can advice.

3 hours ago, Mark B said:

Can’t do this with a JL 😎

31C1130E-ABE5-4935-8D85-01D8CE658194.jpeg

9D70046B-B3E8-4781-9FB8-8D50C7EECBAA.jpeg

To be honest I haven’t actually camped in it yet I just have all the stuff, but it makes a full size double bed in the back, and I’ll just pile all the stuff in the back seat when camping I guess, I’ll let you know how it goes when I do 😂😂

Just wow … how practical don’t know. I really like @Gerrit Bus setup. Check it. It’s a limo jlu 😀

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Hi @Misha Puskar Nice car!

In my personal opinion it might be a good idea to have a look at the used car & accessories market. The reason for this is because I was faced with a similar issue when I found my thread was worn through on my old sport trim tires. Usually, you can find stock all-terrains from different JL-JK trim Jeeps from people who bought brand new cars and instantly switch to a larger tire or a different brand. 

You shouldn't have to worry about the difference between JL-JK wheels as both of them should fit onto the JK, this way might be cheaper that to buying 4 new tires much like how it was for me at the time. Also considering they are OEM parts off newer/older jeeps you shouldn't have to worry about petrol consumption increase as much. 

However, keep in mind changing your tire from road to all terrain will give on-road changes and may slightly increase your fuel consumption not by a massive amount though. P.S keep away from mud terrain tires if they end up being an option. :)

• Like (+1) 2

Hi @Misha Puskar can you share the details of your existing tire (size, brand and year) along with some pics to further advice you more appropriately?

Also, share your current usage of your Jeep, is it only an off-road toy or office+off-road vehicle?

While off-roading are you only driving on sand or going to mountains often?

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Hi Misha @Misha Puskar The size obviously depends on if your Jeep is lifted or not and wheel size. JK comes in both 16" and 17" sizes I believe. As a general advice it's better to keep the current size for tyres to avoid any rubbing issues. For the type, I would recommend that you go for LT (which has 10 ply side wall which will give you more side wall strength) and AT tyres. BFG is standard coming as LT/AT but may be a little heavier for sand. Another favourite in the club is Yocohoma Geolander which comes as LT and non-LT version (the American spec with white writing is LT and without white writing is non-LT).  Geo should not cost more than 650-700/ a piece so should be within your budget mentioned.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Hi @Misha Puskar can you share the details of your existing tire (size, brand and year) along with some pics to further advice you more appropriately?

Also, share your current usage of your Jeep, is it only an off-road toy or office+off-road vehicle?

While off-roading are you only driving on sand or going to mountains often?

@Misha Puskar i will agree with @Benjamin. But if you have plan for bigger you can step up. I have kumho 285/70/17 AT. Good for desert. Arent expensive, means sub 3k. 

20230203_193030.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use