•  
Advertise here

Benefits of tank in an onboard compressor

Alphin Aloor

I have two ARB dual head compressors, one with tank, one without. 2.5 times difference in time.

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Alphin Aloor said:

I would like some advice on the benefits of having a tank connected to the compressor.

• is it faster?

@Alphin Aloor no it's not faster. The tank is to run "Air-Tools". This is why ARB gave an air-gun to blow compressed air and clean your engine bay or car interior or inflate air-mattresses when camping. The best is if you need to change tires, you can use Air Impact Wrench to open your tire lugs instead of manual-wrenching 5-6 bolts 😊.

The theory why an Air Tool (airgun, air-wrench, air-hammer) needs a tank >> "A tank dampens pulsation, providing a steady flow of compressed air at constant pressure. Uniform airflow makes it easier to work and reduces wear on your machine"

See video below

https://youtu.be/xTtnPCtddyY?feature=shared 

Edited by Zed
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Hi @Alphin Aloor - 

I have done the compressor + tank set up in two flavors which I can explain later.  But in short:

1. Compressor installed under passenger seat or, if a SWB Y61 then at a space in the left side at the back (this space is not available if it is a LWB Y61)

2. Tank installed under the car if a SWB Y61 or under the driver’s seat if a LWB Y61 (space is not available under the car in LWB because of the fuel sub-tank)

3. Air outlet located outside of the car - in wheel bays or rear bumper

What this set up allows you is, as Zed mentioned, running air-tools, and you can also switch-on the compressor while you are driving towards the exit.  The compressor will shut off automatically once the air in the tank reaches 150 psi approximately (all ARB compressors have a small manifold and an cut-off switch rated at 150 psi, the cut-off switch can be replaced if damaged or by another at a different pressure rating), and the air outlet outside of the car will allow you to keep doors closed and bugs away :). When all tires are inflated back to your desired pressure, you turn off the compressor and can use the air in tank to blow off sand.

The setup I have in my car, a Y61 SWB, more or less allows me to inflate four ~33” tires, from 10psi to 35psi, in almost 5 minutes and also allows me to run air tools, it consists of two ARB dual compressors and a 20l air tank.

Hope this information helps.

Edited by Mario Cornejo
  • Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Mario Cornejo said:

The setup I have in my car, a Y61 SWB, more or less allows me to inflate four ~33” tires, from 10psi to 35psi, in almost 5 minutes and also allows me to run air tools, it consists of two ARB dual compressors and a 20l air tank.

This setup sounds really cool. Need to check it out when i get a chance when we're on the same drive.

@Alphin Aloor I switched from Dragon Mart air compressor to Portable ARB which comes with Air Tank. 
I installed the electric wire from front to the back, so I can use the compressor as an On-Board one.

Gives me option to remove the compressor and keep it at home if not offroading for long time, specially in the summer.(less maintanance)

I like how I can control the airflow, and compressor doesnt have to run continuously due to Air Tank, however  I dont know how it runs without it.

If I had an option to install an on-board one, probably I would do it, but only if I would use the bluetooth option with it.

At the end,if your purpose is just to inflate your tyres, keep the dragon mart one, if you want to make it more easier, enjoyable, and ready to pay for it, get the ARB.

• Like (+1) 2