•  
Advertise here

Reality Check: Toyota Land Cruiser LC70

Hello humans, 

During my KSA trip in November '23, I stumbled upon LC70's being used as police vehicles. I really liked the retro look and hey the pricing is more on the 'affordable' end.

As I dug deeper in my research it became more and more confusing, while some parts of the world have a 2.7L Turbo, some have a 4L V6. A few praise diesel over petrol options and some have better specifications as standard (winch incl). 

Coming from a Suzuki Jimny, almost anything is an upgrade. While sitting at AED170-180K and 6 month waiting period, I wanted to summon our current LC70 users of Carnity (please tag them here) and veterans of the off roading world to guide me through this topic. 

• 3 reasons why you would not recommend the car (excluding pricing)
  • 3 things you wish you knew before (or almost) purchasing the car
  • 3 things you immediately changed to improve the performance of the car (Fred mentioned spacers or offset rims)
  • 3 things have have broken down in your tenure 
  • Are you happy with the engine? Is it dated? Someone said, this engine is virgin. Would love to know more.
  • ..and lastly, how does it drive on road and off road - what's the fuel economy you're getting? (8km/l as per website)

Feel free to throw any links or forums you would like me to further research on. 

Thanks for reading :)

• Like (+1) 5

• Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

All I can say, is it's my heartthrob. This will be the first choice when I have enough money to buy a second off-road toy.

I almost bought one in 2009 with ready cash in my pocket (used one) and the guy flipped on the way to the registration center. It took me 6 months to scout a clean one. So buying a new one is better, as most used ones are not in good shape.

In those days, the dated interior was a bit turn-off, but now Toyota has caught up on that front very well. But, still don't expect to compare to FJC and Prado's interior and comfort.

Second, is leaf spring rear design is a bit squeaky and bouncy in off-road, no cure, you will just get used to it over time.

The best is 1GR-FE engine is bulletproof on reliability and longevity, and 230 hp can be scaled to 300+ with factory turbo, supplied and installed by Toyota.

Look for Dynatrade (parallel import from Oman) pricing, as in those days Al Futtaim was 150 and Dynatrade offered me 130.

Good luck with all the research.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 hour ago, Rafey Hashmi said:

Hello humans, 

During my KSA trip in November '23, I stumbled upon LC70's being used as police vehicles. I really liked the retro look and hey the pricing is more on the 'affordable' end.

As I dug deeper in my research it became more and more confusing, while some parts of the world have a 2.7L Turbo, some have a 4L V6. A few praise diesel over petrol options and some have better specifications as standard (winch incl). 

Coming from a Suzuki Jimny, almost anything is an upgrade. While sitting at AED170-180K and 6 month waiting period, I wanted to summon our current LC70 users of Carnity (please tag them here) and veterans of the off roading world to guide me through this topic. 

• 3 reasons why you would not recommend the car (excluding pricing)
  • 3 things you wish you knew before (or almost) purchasing the car
  • 3 things you immediately changed to improve the performance of the car (Fred mentioned spacers or offset rims)
  • 3 things have have broken down in your tenure 
  • Are you happy with the engine? Is it dated? Someone said, this engine is virgin. Would love to know more.
  • ..and lastly, how does it drive on road and off road - what's the fuel economy you're getting? (8km/l as per website)

Feel free to throw any links or forums you would like me to further research on. 

Thanks for reading :)

when they announced these new petrol models coming to the UAE next i would have ordered one instantly were it not for all the changes I just completed to the pajero in nov last year.. sunk too much money into it to change now.

if looking at the new ones, check with insurance and the agency about vehicle usage.
Al futtiam would not let me arrange testdrive of the short wheelbase LC70 2 door without first providing my trade-license, as they were offering it as commercial  vehicle only... this was at end of nov(29th)  last year after first announced but not sure what the situation is now that it is showing in diff section of website.

They were ok with the long wheelbase model as private sales at the time..

if not based on looks the 2024 fortuner GXR comes with same engine and diff lock and slightly less price.

Edited by PAJERO petelczyc luke
  • Like (+1) 1

Have a look here:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtYOGGWpWSj/?igsh=Yjh6YWQ4bDNmemtr

One issue many owners complain about is that the rear axle is narrower than the front, which makes the two door model more unstable. If you dune bash on higher level it can be addressed by changing the rims to higher offset and/or adding spacers so you have a wider stance.

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

While you are out there scouting for your new rig to upgrade from your Jimny, you could also add the Nissan Patrol Safari (2DR or also referred to as the 3 door) manual or automatic option to your list. It costs around the same as the LC70. Nissan is wider and seems more stable, though you can check the technical details with the experts and take their advice.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

33 minutes ago, Gurcharan Mehta said:

While you are out there scouting for your new rig to upgrade from your Jimny, you could also add the Nissan Patrol Safari (2DR or also referred to as the 3 door) manual or automatic option to your list. It costs around the same as the LC70. Nissan is wider and seems more stable, though you can check the technical details with the experts and take their advice.

++ more creature comforts if you get the super safari

- electric leather seats

- auto AC

- Coil springs

It's not the fastest vehicle out there - but in SWB it should be perfect. LWB is really slow :(.

• Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Thank you everyone for the replies. Much more insight and clarity!

@Gaurav I checked with Dynatrade, they have stopped that service. But I am keen on researching more on this. 30k difference is a lot in my opinion. Thanks for the heads up!

@PAJERO petelczyc luke that is correct, they are not taking any bookings for now, which leans more towards an import from KSA or Oman. Ras Al Khor guys are charging 40k surplus for the same car. I don't think it's worth that extra payout.

@Frederic Lots of LC content on the page you shared, followed it. PS: Jimny got a 8.5/10 yay!

@Gurcharan Mehta Both retro kings and Japanese masterpiece and about the same price. Agreed.

@Alphin Aloor Agreed, only thing stopping me is Fred saying 'this is the only car I can see the fuel gauge move back while driving' haha 

🙏🏼

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/30/2024 at 1:26 PM, Alphin Aloor said:

++ more creature comforts if you get the super safari

- electric leather seats

- auto AC

- Coil springs

It's not the fastest vehicle out there - but in SWB it should be perfect. LWB is really slow :(.

Then you turbo or supercharge it, Ive seen what monsters spawn from certain garages! 😆

Edited by Harshal