COVID19 Compliant - Afternoon Intermediate Desert Drive - Short & Sharp Lisaili - Dubai - 24 Apr 2021

Wrangeld

1 hour ago, Thomas Varghese said:

In short Richard @Wrangeld is implying you are on your own if you make a mistake and get stuck. Sounds great. I started my prayers already not to get stuck as its too difficult to shovel with my hefty frame. As I couldn't think of any usable excuses to back out I'm in. Moreover I RSVP'ed for this drive as I don't have 1 on Friday. Could have but my daughter is returning back home on Friday after her vacation and felt bad when she said I can keep the keys under the doormat if I'm going for a drive and she will take a taxi home. Richard has already whipped up the curiosity and I can't wait to do my 3rd IM drive. Hopefully I won't be physically tested to the limits. Godspeed to Saturday. 

Actually, no I am not suggesting you are on your own, more that at IM you should have the skill set to get yourself out of trouble and not rely on the guy with the winch to pull you out. If there's no option, that's fine, but it cannot be the default position. 

Yes, IM should be fast paced - when moving. But if someone gets a refusal then take the time and work the problem. That's how we get to be better drivers. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wrangeld said:

Actually, no I am not suggesting you are on your own, more that at IM you should have the skill set to get yourself out of trouble and not rely on the guy with the winch to pull you out. If there's no option, that's fine, but it cannot be the default position. 

Yes, IM should be fast paced - when moving. But if someone gets a refusal then take the time and work the problem. That's how we get to be better drivers. 

It was just pun. Anyways I know you will not leave me out in the desert and move on. 

• Like (+1) 1

Also can everyone with winches remove them before the drive (😬), i think it has become a luxury these last few months, to easy to use.
Those that repeatedly get stuck needs to do it the old school way and shovel 🥄, its the best way to learn, and if your  health is put at risk due to excessive shoveling then reconsider this drive 😎🏼

I like how @Wrangeld has put it above, if you got stuck it’s because of you and not the guy in front of you, you need to manage yourself by keeping a safe following distance, focus and dont get distracted, and follow the leads tracks, if you feel the need to blame the guy in front of you for getting stuck then that means you did not manage that situation like you should by now in the IM level be able to do.  

have a good weekend all, see you Saturday! 

Edited by Francois Germishuys
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

30 minutes ago, Francois Germishuys said:

Also can everyone with winches remove them before the drive (😬), i think it has become a luxury these last few months, to easy to use.
Those that repeatedly get stuck needs to do it the old school way and shovel 🥄, its the best way to learn, and if your  health is put at risk due to excessive shoveling then reconsider this drive 😎🏼

I like how @Wrangeld has put it above, if you got stuck it’s because of you and not the guy in front of you, you need to manage yourself by keeping a safe following distance, focus and dont get distracted, and follow the leads tracks, if you feel the need to blame the guy in front of you for getting stuck then that means you did not manage that situation like you should by now in the IM level be able to do.  

have a good weekend all, see you Saturday! 

Thanks Francois - said it for me. The winch is a lovely tool, but it's not you, the driver getting yourself free when you are winched out ... and what are you going to do when your lovely friend with the winch happens not to be on the drive? 

• Like (+1) 5

Carnitians of the Saturday Afternoon IM drive, 

Here it is: 

image.png.35e090ca1baaec558e2b4bcabd95385a.png

Now you all know where you need to be. We will operate a buddy system in case someone needs assistance to recover. As everyone should have all the IM kit helping each other will be quicker. 

Radio Channel #2. 

Covid rules still apply so deflate, flag-up and wait for the go ahead to move - we should be able to have a rolling brief. 

• Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, Wrangeld said:

As everyone should have all the IM kit helping each other will be quicker. 

Dear Richard @Wrangeld does this mean I need to get out and buy a flat bed jack now along with the wooden plank? 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Francois Germishuys said:

Very well said @Francois Germishuys winch should be the super duper last option and not the 1st, if anyone wish to grow in this extreme sport. Surprise to hear it has become a luxury option, lately. SAD.

We off-road not only for driving pleasure but also to enjoy the challenge of getting unstuck and learning along the way with self-recoveries, shovel and tow-rope tugs.

Yes winch are good when you are pressed for time in scorching heat of 55 degrees or all options exhausted then it's useful.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Wrangeld I am gutted, but I am stuck in Pemba up in the North of Mozambique. Was meant to be on flight back to arrive tonight into Dubai, but with the joys of African logistics and way of life, it is not possible and I am stuck her for another two days.

Such a shame, as this sounds right up my street.

Have a great drive!! 

Edited by Jack Thomas
  • Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use