•  
Advertise here

Tyre rubbing the fender

Hello Everyone,

For sometime now, i find that my front tyres are rubbing under the fender, around the fender liner/shield area (I attached a photo for the same). The rubbing does not happen on road at all, however while off-roading, the rubbing occurs occasionally when attempting a climb and descend.

My car and it's suspension system is stock. Recently i changed all the bushes for the control arms and i replaced the original shocks to KYB gas shock absorber. The tyre size also is the recommended one as per the owner's manual (265/70R16).

I wanted to know how to solve this issue and wanted to know your views as well. The suggestions i received so far from mechanics are an upgrade to a lift kit and secondly a stiffer spring on the existing shocks.

IMG_20210520_115401.jpg.a13c44f7112fa81bdeee4bb3bb5bf310.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

32 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

Is tge top side of the tyre is hitting the fender, time to change your bump stops.

Yes Sri, correct, the top side of the tyre is hitting the fender. Bump stops also were changed already together with the bushes two months ago. May be i should try to go for a bigger bump stops, what do you think?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

But if the tyres are of stock size, it's strange that after replacing the bumpstop with OEM it's still hitting the fender.

If you can try to measure the distance from the bump stop end to where it's supposed to touch, and compare it with the distance of the tyre to the fender that would give you more accurate results.

I am not sure where the location of bumpstops are in Pajero, but in Jeeps one of the most common method to decrease the gap between bumpstop and the point of bumpstops imapct (axle) axle is by adding hockey pucks via a bolt.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Confused (0) 1

1 hour ago, Anish S said:

Recently i changed all the bushes for the control arms and i replaced the original shocks to KYB gas shock absorber.

Was this observation after replacement of the shocks ? .. I have changed the upper and lower control arms to the stock ones but the front shocks to Offroad shocks ( belstein ) 6 months ago. I was offered a lift kit and stiffer springs too but I didn’t go for it . .. the shocks might be a cause not sure . Didn’t experience such rubbing though !

• Like (+1) 2

If the shocks are bottoming out, that that will reduce the life of the shock. Bumpstops are provided to protect the fender as well as shock bottoming.Or the replacement shocks are of different dimension compared to OEM

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Srikumar said:

If the shocks are bottoming out, that that will reduce the life of the shock. Bumpstops are provided to protect the fender as well as shock bottoming.Or the replacement shocks are of different dimension compared to OEM

2 hours ago, M.Seidam said:

Was this observation after replacement of the shocks ? .. I have changed the upper and lower control arms to the stock ones but the front shocks to Offroad shocks ( belstein ) 6 months ago. I was offered a lift kit and stiffer springs too but I didn’t go for it . .. the shocks might be a cause not sure . Didn’t experience such rubbing though !

Actually i was getting this issue with the OEM shocks and that was the reason i got all the shocks and bushes changed. Today, i had a look to Vanessa's car and Yousef's car, both had the trace of the tyre touching the fender but not as bad as mine.

Yes, thats a great idea to measure the gap between the bump stop and gap between the tyre and fender...i will check this out in the morning.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

On 6/12/2021 at 12:57 AM, Anish S said:

Actually i was getting this issue with the OEM shocks and that was the reason i got all the shocks and bushes changed. Today, i had a look to Vanessa's car and Yousef's car, both had the trace of the tyre touching the fender but not as bad as mine.

Yes, thats a great idea to measure the gap between the bump stop and gap between the tyre and fender...i will check this out in the morning.

If this happened with OEM shocks as well, then your bumpstops are the culprit. Measure the distance and get them replaced to a longer bumpstop. 

• Like (+1) 3

@Anish S, are you sure you are buttoming out? There is another reason why this might be happening, if you hit your bumper or fender before, the metal might slightly bend towards the inside and thus when you make full turns left or right while driving the tire might rub the fender.

• Like (+1) 5