•  

Afternoon Fewbie Desert Drive - Zarzora: The Lost Oasis: - Dubai - 12 May 2023

Hi Fred, thanks for your reply. Other clubs have "upgrade trips" where actual skills are demonstrated and assessed by one or more marshalls in the convoy.

Yet at another club there is a system in place where 1 marshall can nominate a member for upgrade, and 2 other marshalls have to agree/vote before the upgrade takes place.

I think Carnity works well for members who a) have never done any desert driving (so real newbies), and b) do not drive with other clubs concurrently. For members who have prior experience or who drive with other clubs it might not be so suitable. Or just go through the grading structure and accumulate credits.

There are a number of members I know drive for other clubs, so I am not alone in my opinion.

The members are there, but may not speak up. 

Agreed that number of drives does not equal experience and well noted on self-declaration. However a system of testing/demonstration as in an "upgrade trip" might be interesting to consider so that members are placed in the correct level. 

Nevertheless, I do not think that will happen but thought I will voice my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 4

On 5/9/2023 at 8:34 AM, DP1011 said:

Whoa !!! 10 Confirmed and 7 WL - For an afternoon "FRIDAY" Drive ??!!!  Is UAE back to Friday Weekend Mode ??? :D 

I really want that, as my weekend still same🤣

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Dear Desertnauts

@Senthil Kumar @Gautam Banka @Cristian @Marketa Dobesova @Pavel Pashkovskiy @Pacific @PETELCZYC PAJERO - luke @Juan R @Zubair @george charbel @Amr Aydin 

The meeting and deflation point has been posted, as below:

Dropped pin
https://maps.app.goo.gl/WPggnLH2weo54A637

Worthy of note is the fact that there is a Lake of rainwater obstructing the usual entrance to the track. Do not attempt to cross it: just stop at the posted position and start deflating.

Some of you know it from last week. Do not think the drive will be the same: we'll reach the pylon track (as last week) and then we'll divert in search of Zarzora !! 

Final drive's briefing to follow ASAP.

MORE ABOUT ZARZORA

There are myths and legends about a lost ancient oasis hidden in the Sahara Desert. Its name is Zerzura and it's supposed to be located somewhere deep in the desert west of the Nile River in Egypt or Libya.

An anonymous 15th-century Arabic treasure seekers guide, "Kitab al Kdnuz" (The Book of Hidden Pearls) describes Zerzura as..... see below

https://www.ancientpages.com/2020/06/10/zerzura-lost-ancient-sahara-oasis-guarded-black-giants/

Could it be looking like this?

image.png.3c58a00ea043a76d66363dbd5d377230.png

(Mandara Lakes, in the Libyan Fezzan region)

• Like (+1) 4
  • WOW (+2) 3

MORE ABOUT ZARZORA

Possible location of Zarzora, in Egypt's Gilf el Kebir plateau, as identified by Count Almazy and the Long Range Desert Patrol's explorations

Dropped pin
https://maps.app.goo.gl/yggikaYoqQofZyd96

Screenshot_20230511-161624_Maps.jpg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Dear Desertnauts

couple more things about the drive tomorrow.

Please reach the meeting point a little before 3:00 PM, so we can enjoy a timely start. You may refuel at Qudra Last Exit's ADNOC station. 

Carry some refreshments, as you please, as we'll try to have a last stop just before sunset, somewhere around the last traces of our Zarzora "lost oasis".

The convoy order will be as follows:

@Senthil Kumar in Second Lead

@Gautam Banka at #3

@Cristian at #4

@Marketa Dobesova in place #5

@Pavel Pashkovskiy at #6

@Pacific in the Center

@PETELCZYC PAJERO - luke at #8

@Juan R #9

@Zubair at #10

@george charbel #11, and 

@Amr Aydin in Sweep.

We'll be communicating on Carnity Channel #2 (446.031). 

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow afternoon.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

6 hours ago, Rk ram said:

I am really looking forward to join this event and was on wait list ..

@Ale Vallecchiif possible plz let me know wether I can join the event .... as I  have kept myself free for the event  ...

tnx 

If you are @Rk ram really want to go for this event, i will give you my spot. Being club member, it's not only chance to drive, but giving chance for others too. You are on top of waiting list, and supposed to be moved automatically. In case it will not happen, @Ale Vallecchi will add you manually. In any case you can go for the drive now. I will remove my rsvp.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Important Information

Terms of use