•  
Advertise here

Please help me read this inspection report

Josh S

Hello Carnity,

From those that read my previous post about starting my off-road adventure, I have been persuaded to buy a cheaper used car instead of buying a brand-new car that I will use as a daily+desert combo. I work from home so do not have a daily commute, and I drive to fetch groceries, gym, meet friends etc.  As such, I am looking at a used Pajero/Prado for around 70-80k which if I break off-road, I will not be upset about, or if I do not find a passion for the hobby, I can sell for not too much of a loss and buy a more suitable daily. If I do enjoy the hobby, I expect I will modify it and then get myself a separate daily, however for at least the first 6 months I will use the car for both.

Historically I have never bought a car that is more than 2 years old or more than 30,000km, so buying a 4-5 year old car with 70,000km-80,000km behind it is new to me. As such, I feel I need to get an inspection on the car I am looking at, and so I had an inspection conducted yesterday. I believe this is far more comprehensive than the Tasjeel Comprehensive.

The inspection attached clearly shows some issues, however, I have no idea if these should be expected of a 5-year-old car, or I should avoid these.  For the privacy of the seller, I have removed images and references to the specific car.  There are a quite a few items marked as 'fair' however the only 'poor' item is the oil look from differential cover and bolt.

I would appreciate any thoughts! Thanks

(p.s. I would happily increase my budget to 100-200k as I was happy to spend 200k on a new Wrangler, however I am following forum advice about buying used a cheap)

Inspection.pdf

Edited by controlz

Sorry to say but this car doesn't look in good shape and had many service issues skipped, which may cost you a lot of time, hassle and money in the near future.

These two are enough for me to walk away.

image.png

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

38 minutes ago, controlz said:

Hello Carnity,

From those that read my previous post about starting my off-road adventure, I have been persuaded to buy a cheaper used car instead of buying a brand-new car that I will use as a daily+desert combo. I work from home so do not have a daily commute, and I drive to fetch groceries, gym, meet friends etc.  As such, I am looking at a used Pajero/Prado for around 70-80k which if I break off-road, I will not be upset about, or if I do not find a passion for the hobby, I can sell for not too much of a loss and buy a more suitable daily. If I do enjoy the hobby, I expect I will modify it and then get myself a separate daily, however for at least the first 6 months I will use the car for both.

Historically I have never bought a car that is more than 2 years old or more than 30,000km, so buying a 4-5 year old car with 70,000km-80,000km behind it is new to me. As such, I feel I need to get an inspection on the car I am looking at, and so I had an inspection conducted yesterday. I believe this is far more comprehensive than the Tasjeel Comprehensive.

The inspection attached clearly shows some issues, however, I have no idea if these should be expected of a 5-year-old car, or I should avoid these.  For the privacy of the seller, I have removed images and references to the specific car.  There are a quite a few items marked as 'fair' however the only 'poor' item is the oil look from differential cover and bolt.

(p.s. I would happily increase my budget to 100-200k as I was happy to spend 200k on a new Wrangler, however I am following forum advice about buying used a cheap)

Inspection.pdf 485.55 kB · 3 downloads

From the screenshot alone that @Gaurav posted I totally agree with him. 

this car hasn’t been well looked after in a while, the inspection report states that the engine oil is dark, this is very vague however it could mean it was exposed to dust or dirt; either that or it hasn’t been changed in a long period of time that alone will be a very costly job especially if any of the inner parts of the car happened to be contaminated leading to a much shorter lifetime.

Worn engine mounts aren’t entirely a massive issue however it is another costly job that requires an engine hoist to reinstall new mounts in. (I wouldn’t risk taking a car into the desert with worn mounts alone) 

however it’s completely up to you. From the inspection you could change these things listed above and everything will be fine, although it’s a risk for the longevity of the car 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Sorry to say but this car doesn't look in good shape and had many service issues skipped, which may cost you a lot of time, hassle and money in the near future.

These two are enough for me to walk away.

image.png

Yeah anything with bad oil run away 🏃🏻‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, controlz said:

Hello Carnity,

Inspection.pdf 485.55 kB · 13 

So, why not a Wrangler? There is many on Dubizzle 2017-2018 JK with 55-75k milage on it and price below 100k. Ultimate offroad car. Instead of that you are looking for dead Japanese car? Do you want feel the real offroading? I am not talking about creazy drives, i am talking about driving in offroad style, without roof and doors, breathing fresh air and enjoying unlimited view? Or you want to sit inside small box with small windows? Hmmm... very strange decision.

Jeep-Wrangler-0.jpg

jeep_0066.jpg

2011moab 418.JPG

• Like (+1) 3

Thanks for all the feedback. It’s interesting the engine oil is dark as it was agency serviced just 2 months ago. 🧐

I am worried that any 5 year old car I have inspected is going to have issues like this, or is this one specifically bad?

@Pavel Pashkovskiy I get what you are saying however I don’t want a JK. I will only get a JL because I want a newer model since I will be driving on road and I do like the luxuries. Also, Japanese cars are the best quality, and what is to say a 5 year old wrangler won’t have similar issues?

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, controlz said:

It’s interesting the engine oil is dark as it was agency serviced just 2 months ago.

Engine oil color if dark, is not an issue. The later part of the comment is an issue where it says clump of old oil etc.

If the car has Full & Regular service history from the dealer, then go ahead. Irregular services are a big concern for the longevity of the engine and transmission.

Hope you also notice that the car has a frontal accident to have the front fender repainted, but that's fine and not a deal breaker tbh, if the car engine, transmission and 4x4 are well serviced and without any fault - 90% of the job is done.

47 minutes ago, controlz said:

I don’t want a JK. I will only get a JL

Good choice and thinking.

• Like (+1) 2

I’ve rejected the car, and once again looking for a Wragler JL 🤣 .

There are some great value modified models on the market, (better value than stock if you consider the cost of mods) however I’ll follow the advice and go for stock… unless the modifications are very minor (eg just a lift kit and tires). 

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

JL's rear bumper is the most obvious indicator. If they have changed or replaced it that means they have done a bit of off-roading. SWB bumper breaks in perhaps the first trip into the sand but JLU can sustain some minor abuse. If they say it is a lady driven car never been into the desert - just look at the bumper to have your confirmation. 

• Haha (+1) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

2 hours ago, controlz said:

I’ve rejected the car, and once again looking for a Wragler JL

I know it sounds funny to change car buying ideas, but that's the number 1 reason to end up buying the wrong car or making a wrong choice in the end out of haste.

Spend a day or two, to firm up yourself with what you really want + budget. Then hunt a specific car within that budget so you can "fairly" compare apples to apples and close a deal fast.

Car buying is an emotional exercise so less emotions you add to the equation, the faster your logical brain can process.