•  
Advertise here

Parts stolen from your car

Barry

I guess this isn't a thing in Dubai, but has anyone ever had parts stolen from their car when it was parked?

I had an incident in Ireland. Peugeot 306 D-Turbo Phase 2. Ran out of fuel half a mile from my house so left the car, walked home and went to bed. Went back to get the car in the morning with a jerry can full of diesel and the front wind deflectors and full rear glass was missing.

I have heard of things like this happening a lot in England. Park the car, come back, find a bare shell.

Anyome got experience of this?

I've not had this happen to a car of mine.

However, many years ago during my military service I did a stint as a convoy driver, and during one overnight stop, someone stole the transfer case off of my truck. It could only have been someone in the convoy, since we were in the bush and many miles from anywhere. There was a major hullabaloo about it and I ended with a black mark on my record. 

It was only two years later, when we were all drunk in the mess one night that the thief confessed. It turns out that he had destroyed the transfer case on his truck when he did something stupid, and bribed the convoy mechanics to steal a transfer off another truck- which happened to be mine.

It must have been an interesting exercise in bush mechanics- removing two transfer cases that weigh nearly 300 kg each, and doing it so that nobody noticed. I might also mention that the destroyed transfer case was never found.    

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad (0) 1

3 hours ago, Barry said:

@treks write a book. I will buy it. 

I have often thought of doing just that, but  never seem to find the time.

there was a time here when shoes got stolen from mosque and household items fridge air condition stoves gas cylinders cars parts had a small black market of their own you could get rims wheel cups spoilers bumpers engine transmissions basically what you wanted it could be arranged in due time or by pointing where to get it...

Shoes stolen from mosques? Now that is the worst kind of thieving..