Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Faqa to Solar Park - Dubai - 29 Apr 2023

GauravSoni

Thank you @Looper and entire crew. We had a great fun despite the extension, and very good learnings. Saw amazing spirit from @Stumpy Pajhelping @Bravoecho changing the popped tyres. I also felt the need of buying a new jack and realized that the stock jack in Prado would not work in desert conditions. would buy a 2.5 tons jack soon. I had a couple of refusal but recovered back fast with @GauravSoni giving me expert instructions to get out without getting out of the car. Look forward to next ride soon. Have a nice week guys.

• Well Done (+2) 2

13 minutes ago, Gautam Banka said:

Thank you @Looper and entire crew. We had a great fun despite the extension, and very good learnings. Saw amazing spirit from @Stumpy Pajhelping @Bravoecho changing the popped tyres. I also felt the need of buying a new jack and realized that the stock jack in Prado would not work in desert conditions. would buy a 2.5 tons jack soon. I had a couple of refusal but recovered back fast with @GauravSoni giving me expert instructions to get out without getting out of the car. Look forward to next ride soon. Have a nice week guys.

Don't give @Stumpy Pajtoo much credit. As my brother in law he is legally obligated to do that 😄

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Sad (0) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

On 5/1/2023 at 10:37 AM, Frederic said:

16" rims are in my opinion the best size rims, as they leave plenty of space to go for a tyre with a bigger sidewall. You can easily fit 275/70/16 or 275/75/16 without any issues. On 17 or 18" this is a much bigger issue.

Tyre problem sorted. New shoes for the girl

D77CF501-95AE-4844-A982-996476E25F27.jpeg

• Well Done (+2) 4

15 hours ago, Bravoecho said:

Tyre problem sorted. New shoes for the girl

D77CF501-95AE-4844-A982-996476E25F27.jpeg

Some feedback for when you upgrade your Patrol @Frederic. These are G015's 285/75/16 and fit very well.

Plenty of clearance and have also greatly reduced the speedo discrepancy down from 10km/h to 3km/h

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Bravoecho said:

Some feedback for when you upgrade your Patrol @Frederic. These are G015's 285/75/16 and fit very well.

Plenty of clearance and have also greatly reduced the speedo discrepancy down from 10km/h to 3km/h

Wow that's a pretty big increase in size !

image.png.eec6b41d37b0db4dae84e9dd74cae150.png

I did the same on my trooper when i installed the Rydanz Raptor R09 285/75/16 and later went back to my Yokohamas 265/70/16 when i sold the little Pajero.

Felt slight improvement when climbing with the Yokohamas because of less weight. Self recovery worked better with the Rydanz as the profile was more aggressive.

Enjoy it !

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

2 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Wow that's a pretty big increase in size !

image.png.eec6b41d37b0db4dae84e9dd74cae150.png

I did the same on my trooper when i installed the Rydanz Raptor R09 285/75/16 and later went back to my Yokohamas 265/70/16 when i sold the little Pajero.

Felt slight improvement when climbing with the Yokohamas because of less weight. Self recovery worked better with the Rydanz as the profile was more aggressive.

Enjoy it !

Looking forward the next most important part @Frederic and that will be in the desert which i'll be doing on Thursday.

When researching this what made my mind up was the following:

• There is a 50.8 pound deficit by running the 285's versus the 275/70/16 however that increase in weight can be easily compensated by what I have planned for the car. The car weighs over 4500 pounds so a plus 1% increase in weight shouldn't affect it too much.
  • As a light truck tyre you get a 10 ply sidewall. As a comparison the popular 275/70/16 BFG KO2's only have a 8 ply
  • Tread depth is 18/32" versus 13/32" for the 275 equivalent. Blocks are a lot larger but you still retain the preferred G015 tread pattern.

Important Information

Terms of use