•  
Advertise here

Advice on buying new SUV for off-road

6 minutes ago, abms2ktrooper said:

@Frederic hope to participate a bit more frequently this year with a few more isuzus to bring those numbers up 😊

Always welcome buddy ! :) 

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

3 hours ago, Frederic said:

Actually you might find it hard to believe but there was an Isuzu Amigo on YOUR Absolute Newbie drive ! These are superb little offroad monsters, driven by a friend of mine @abms2ktrooper

1990-94 Isuzu Amigo | Consumer Guide Auto

@Frederic I love these little off-road cars; I think (could be wrong) that this car in the 90s was actually badged differently depending on the country it was being sold in. 

In America it was known as the Amigo, but in Europe it had the badging of Vauxhall 

Definitely a car that would look nice with some retro pinstripes

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

@Frederic I love these little off-road cars; I think (could be wrong) that this car in the 90s was actually badged differently depending on the country it was being sold in. 

In America it was known as the Amigo, but in Europe it had the badging of Vauxhall 

Definitely a car that would look nice with some retro pinstripes

Yup, Isuzu was rebadged under Vauxhall, Opel, Chevy, Honda, etc..

Look at the Opel/Vauxhall Montery (Isuzu Trooper) or the Opel/Vauxhall Frontera (Amigo).

Fantastic and probably as reliable as Toyota but the law suits in US and lack of service centers amongst other reasons killed it off. 

Isuzu was even the first to design the common-rail-diesel technology.

• Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

2 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Yup, Isuzu was rebadged under Vauxhall, Opel, Chevy, Honda, etc..

Fantastic and probably as reliable as Toyota but the law suits in US and lack of service centers amongst other reasons killed it off. 

Isuzu was even the first to design the common-rail-diesel technology.

These where badged as the MU (mysterious utility) probably the coolest name. Great little car especially with the 2.8 td. The drive train came from the commercial pick up and only really suffered from a weak clutch, they rusted out pretty bad as they spent a lot of time on the beach. Back when air con and electric windows were still a option 😂

IMG_3919.jpeg.30bc5670b1d2c8bbb19c44348b59c1fc.jpeg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Yalla! Don’t think much, just get a Y61 VTC and khalas! You will be happy in the desert and on road with it, chances are you get to be unhappy sometimes when you think about what you spent in mods, but most of the time you will be happy I can assure you that :) 

My two cents on Y61:

1. Less electronics - less points of failure.

2. Parts - you can find them plenty: new, used, scrap yard, grocery in the corner, you name it.

3. Power - I managed to drive in terrains considered challenging (Qua, Bu Tais, Liwa)before installing any mods such as headers or cold air filter, the car did well, and had enough power for self-recoveries and to help recover other cars.

4. Protection - this applies to any car: skid plates (front and rear), roll cage (after installing headers/CAI :P )

5. Suspension - this is key, good springs, shocks, sway bar/links, to help you control rebound and not lose traction.

6. Temperature - manageable, just ensure you check your car coolant before drives.

7. Wheels / Tires - choose well, lighter is better, but be mindful of tire wall wear; wheel offset close to 0 is best.

Hope to see you soon in sand!

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 5

18 minutes ago, Mario Cornejo said:

Yalla! Don’t think much, just get a Y61 VTC and khalas! You will be happy in the desert and on road with it, chances are you get to be unhappy sometimes when you think about what you spent in mods, but most of the time you will be happy I can assure you that :) 

My two cents on Y61:

1. Less electronics - less points of failure.

2. Parts - you can find them plenty: new, used, scrap yard, grocery in the corner, you name it.

3. Power - I managed to drive in terrains considered challenging (Qua, Bu Tais, Liwa)before installing any mods such as headers or cold air filter, the car did well, and had enough power for self-recoveries and to help recover other cars.

4. Protection - this applies to any car: skid plates (front and rear), roll cage (after installing headers/CAI :P )

5. Suspension - this is key, good springs, shocks, sway bar/links, to help you control rebound and not lose traction.

6. Temperature - manageable, just ensure you check your car coolant before drives.

7. Wheels / Tires - choose well, lighter is better, but be mindful of tire wall wear; wheel offset close to 0 is best.

Hope to see you soon in sand!

All applicable on FJ, except point 6. Even that you dont need to worry about. i.e. FJ 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

12 minutes ago, Hisham Masaad said:

All applicable on FJ, except point 6. Even that you dont need to worry about. i.e. FJ 

Not applicable on Pajero, especially points 1 thru 7, you have to worry about all of them all the time 😂

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Sad (0) 1

I would test drive all cars to see which one is the most comfortable  in the city, and then rent it out for 1 day to be 100% sure, then you won't regret buying it and won't go wrong with it in the dessert, except Pajero ))

Edited by Alexanderrr
  • Like (+1) 1

@AlexanderrrYes..Thats ideal. Have done test drives on few vehicles that i have shortlisted  (New as well as preowned). Ultimately...want to be comfortable with the choice as this will be part of my life for  some time!! Like the comments by some of the other folks here..that there is pros and cons on every vehicle. And..Taking a leaf out of Lance Armstrong's autobiography "Its not about the bike" (he is the winner of the Tour de France a record seven consecutive times ). Here it will  be "Its not about the SUV"!! People have said it in this forum that more than the vehicle it will be the driving skills that needs to be given lots more time and thought. And ... am sure Carnity community will help!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1