•  
Advertise here

Daily car or second car?

Hi All,

I recently moved to the UAE and haven't yet bought a daily car. (For 2 people + dog). I was about to buy a mini suv then then.....

.... I experienced my first desert drive this week as a passenger and I want to learn to drive the dunes!  As such, I am now unsure whether I should buy one car that will be multi-purpose, or I should continue to buy my daily, but then buyer a cheaper off road car. My budget for a daily is around 300k and I like speed and power so I have a good amount to spend, but I am conscious that the more expensive the car, the more expensive it will be to repair if I damage it on the dunes! So, do I buy a daily car for 200-250k and then a second vehicle for the dunes, or just buy one car that does all :)

Thanks!

Controlz 

• Like (+1) 2

100%

You must have daily and desert vehicles separate. Because it's absolutely different requirements. You need maximum comfort on daily drive and maximum roughness in the desert. There is no car with optimal balance for both of it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Totally agree with Pavel, if you can split the budget into two cars, nothing like it to have the best of both worlds.

I would split 200k for a road car and 100k for an offroad car that is a couple of years old (max 5) and not previously driven off-road, with full-service history but no warranty and under 50k-100k kms road driven. These strict parameters are there for a reason.

When a car runs out of warranty, it loses big money and comes a lot cheaper. So buying a 3-5 year-old Wrangler, FJC, etc will give you a sweet spot to get the max off-road worthy car in the least amount of money (minus initial year heavy depreciation). At the same time, it's not so old that it will fall apart on every off-road drive and you keep fixing it month after month (that's why dealer service history is crucial here).

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Thanks for this tips. I think I’m going to go for a wrangler rubicon with the intention of it being my off-road only car, however, if I end up enjoying it for on road then I won’t rush into the daily, however will get a daily too if necessarily. I can pickup a 2018 2dr for around 120-150k. I think the 2dr is preferred for desert over 4 dr?

• Like (+1) 2

Considering your budget I reckon the best option for you is a second car for sure! 

Keep an eye out on dubizzle and Facebook marketplace, scout the best prices for your ideal off-road car 6 years old at most and check the VIN number every car has one and it will tell you if it has been in any accidents in the past (keep an eye out in Sharjah for this happening) personally I have a jeep wrangler 2018 JL and very happy with its offroad capabilities 

I agree with @Gaurav and @Pavel Pashkovskiy  this option will definitely give you the best of both worlds without sacrificing a 300k car in the desert. 

look into jeep JLU’s and Xterra’s alongside FJ’s these brands are usually very good in the desert but every off-road car has its own charm and it’s all based on personal preference, have a look and test drive a few different brands and models to find something that suits your best. 

hope this helps in the slightest! 😂

14 minutes ago, controlz said:

Thanks for this tips. I think I’m going to go for a wrangler rubicon with the intention of it being my off-road only car, however, if I end up enjoying it for on road then I won’t rush into the daily, however will get a daily too if necessarily. I can pickup a 2018 2dr for around 120-150k. I think the 2dr is preferred for desert over 4 dr?

As a owner of 2 Jeeps need to clarify for you something important about Rubicon specifically. But before that, may i ask why you thinking about Rubicon trim? Any reason for that? 2 or 4 dr? Of course 2 dr. In upcoming winter you will remove roof and doors and run it like a buggy. Kind of experience you never get with any other car.

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

17 minutes ago, controlz said:

Totally based on preference and what you need your jeep for! 

2dr is like a gokart in the desert and extremely capable and light but sacrifice boot space 

4dr is capable same engine and components as 2dr; though long wheelbase cars will require more thooght into corners and approach angles of some dunes, alongside some fishtailing, they are a little heavier but much more space for passengers and luggage I’ve had no issues with mine! 

I daily drive my gladiator and love it, and it’s set up for desert driving, but yeah a daily and an off roader is great! Although if I was spending 300+ now I might go for a 700 HP  TRX 😎 but that’s just me! 
I would be mindful if you plan to modify the jeep, it’s expensive and addictive lol so might eat in to that budget 

in my opinion a rubicon is not worth it for desert driving, sway bar disconnect you will never use and lockers hardly ever, I don’t have lockers and have never needed them! 

if your going top of the line jeep get a sand runner! It’s built for sand and is high spec 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Mark B said:

I daily drive my gladiator and love it, and it’s set up for desert driving, but yeah a daily and an off roader is great! Although if I was spending 300+ now I might go for a 700 HP  TRX 😎 but that’s just me! 
I would be mindful if you plan to modify the jeep, it’s expensive and addictive lol so might eat in to that budget 

in my opinion a rubicon is not worth it for desert driving, sway bar disconnect you will never use and lockers hardly ever, I don’t have lockers and have never needed them! 

if your going top of the line jeep get a sand runner! It’s built for sand and is high spec 

Of course Sand Runner is masterpiece of the Jeeps... BUT 😁 after driving Sand Runner for 3-4 month i decided to purchase 2dr JK. It's long and separate story about modifications i've made for it, but main reason was to be able to drive comfortably with other short and medium wheelbase cars. With Sand Runner was very comfortable to drive with the groups of trucks only, and complicated trying to follow short cars. Waiting for upcoming season to go for camping and expedition drive on Sand Runner.

... by the way, Gladiator with Magnuson supercharger and proper tunned engine don't giving even small chance to any TRX. Checked, proved 😎 with total cost for modification around 35k, total car cost hardly reach half in compare to TRX.