•  
Advertise here

Daily car or second car?

1 hour ago, Pavel Pashkovskiy said:

😁😁 you will be driving in 4H only until you will try 4L. There is special technics how to drive in 4L including manual gear shifting and other tricks. You definitely reach that as soon you become experienced Wrangler driver.

Anyway, don't want to open Pandoras box at least in this topic. I want to tell you something different to look in to it from another side. Wrangler - it's Lego in car world. This is only car you can build and re-build by yourself according needs, taste and wishes. By buying fully loaded (big question actually) Rubicon, you passing your opportunity to build your own car to the manufacturer. Owning Jeep Wrangler it's  a lifestyle. And by missing opportunity to do your own modification, you are loosing big part of your lifestyle. Absolutely everything coming on stock Rubicons are lower than medium rated components in compare with what you can put on it by yourself. Even heavy duty Dana 44 axels can be easily damaged by non-experienced driver in first desert drive. Instead of that you can do axel reinforcement in some high rated garage for less than 2k aed, and will get lifetime warranty on it. Stock shocks, even Fox are very basic. For good performance you need to put at least cold air intake and exhaust from 3rd party professional manufacturers. Every Wrangler engine in Middle East must be re-tunned, even GCC specs, because it's coming with US setting, which is not enough in very hot climat here. You will get totally different car after all modifications, but will loose warranty. This is why my suggestion to not look for brand new car from dealer.

Instead of hunting for stock multimedia system with car play, you can put some system from Carobotor. Good apholstery shops will make leather upgrades for you which non of stock owner can even dream, any color and combination. All your modifications will cost you minimum 2-3 time cheaper than getting it in stock car, but your car will be performing 10 times better than stock. All what you need is just avoid double payning for that. Better to get stock Sport, and modify it till the level much higher than Rubicon, and it will be still cheaper. This is what i called to be Wrangler owner and living Jeep Wrangler lifestyle. By skipping this, you are loosing all experience for what this car was done.

Couldn’t have put if better myself! I’ve modified my gladiator quite a bit and every single modification I’ve done with my own hands which makes me love it even more!
my little sport will run rings around most stock jeeps (driver does make a difference tho 😂)

I made the mistake of getting a lift from factory at the price of 10k on the vehicle and have replaced every bit of it since and that’s in 18 months as it’s not great on or made for sand. 
As for car play etc, that comes on all jeeps now, and the 2024 has an even better set up. 
but ultimately have a think about what you want, what you want it to look like drive like and then go from there. 
I didn’t!! So have changed my wheels, bumper, shocks, springs, control arms etc TWICE! So it’s worth forward thinking, I bought the jeep with no intention to modify but it’s addictive 😬😬 

but ultimately don’t listen to anyone, you do you, you have to live with the decision and go with your gut on what’s right for you 

good luck and look forward to seeing what you get on the sand 😊

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

Could not agree more with Mark B and others with their comments, I love my Rubicon although it is softer than I would have liked or maybe its that I am harder on it than I should be probably the latter given some of the repairs it has had.  my wife AKA (Google maps) also loves it and has driven it in the desert, she actually surprised me, not sure if this is because i was giving instructions or that the car itself gave her the confidence, again probably the latter :)

The Mods are extensive and expensive as well as addictive and if not done right can cost you twice (personal experience) would love to do it myself but do not have the time and the tools here in Dubai. so if you cannot do it yourself ask around as there are good and very bad out there when it comes to modifying your pride and joy.

It is my daily driver and one and only off-road vehicle, so I am not qualified to compare it to other makes and models. Fair to say though I am happy with it all the way round, comfort, interior, boom box, ride on and off road (once you get it set up to how you like it and your driving style), visibility, etc.  really cannot complain.... 

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

17 minutes ago, Davie Chase said:

It is my daily driver and one and only off-road vehicle, so I am not qualified to compare it to other makes and models. Fair to say though I am happy with it all the way round, comfort, interior, boom box, ride on and off road (once you get it set up to how you like it and your driving style), visibility, etc.  really cannot complain.... 

Thanks @Davie Chase. In hindsight would you have spent less and bought a Sport/Sahara or are you still happy with the premium you paid for a Rubicon? Also, how have you managed warranty and mods?

16 hours ago, controlz said:

2. 2dr because I have no children. Only a spouse and small dog. The 4 door seems unnecessary, however if it is better in the sand or safer, I'd consider it.

You would soon regret having a 2 Door if it is the only car capable of going off-road.  Even if it is going to be a second car I would still recommend you go for a 4 door if the other car is not capable of going off-road. I have a Sport 2D and while it is the best one for pure desert driving; I have more than once regretted having a 2 Door. The reason for the regret is that - winters in UAE is camping time and I find my car to be awfully lacking in useable space.

Jeep as a daily driver is fairly good. The roads in UAE are the best in the world and you might not find much difference compared to other cars (especially if you are not comparing it). My 2 door is also the only car I drive, and it is my daily drive as well. I happen to rent cars when I have need for an extra vehicle for a short time and I do not find much differance in the ride quality. It is perhaps becuase the rented cars tend to be sedans which are in completely different segments, so I do not compare them mentally. The driving dynamics that Jeep brings to table also gives it a character and I love the how it drives in my daily on-road driving as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

If you can get a 392 do it mate! Amazing jeep, the stock set up is very good, I think you would still end up changing at least the shocks for something a little stiffer but that’s not a deal breaker for sure. And the power side  side is not an issue, it’s just how you use it same as anything, any car is dangerous in the desert you just have to respect that and you will be fine. 

9 hours ago, controlz said:

How about the 392? I’m used to driving very powerful cars on the road but are there any risks with it being too powerful for a beginner in the desert?

I've been in same situation like you and was thinking more or less same, exept i never planning to have multipurpose car. In last January i was looking for new hobby due to boring life, and decided to try offroading. Everybody was saying don't spend big money, try first, try first.... i did not listen. Went to TE and bought brand new Sand Runner, which cost me around 250k with modifications. And after 2 month i realized that to be able to drive with most of the clubs, and have most of the fun, i need short wheelbase car. So, i bought 10 years old 2dr Wrangler for 50k. It's another story how much i spent for repairs and modification, generally it was not necessary, it's just my new hobby now, restoring and modifiyng jeeps. I am very happy from result and performance.

What i want to say, if you have money, nobody will stop you, and you will get most probably wrong car. But if you need advice from the person been in exactly same situation, try what i am telling you. Buy car for 40-50k, there is lot on Dubizzle, and drive for one season. If you will not like it, i mean offroading you will sell it for 35k and will loose nothing. Consider as a price to try. But if you will buy now car for 250-350, you will loose a lot of money in case you will not like it.

I did not loose anything, because my initial plan for Sand Runner was camping and expedition. 

• Well Done (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Pavel Pashkovskiy said:

I've been in same situation like you and was thinking more or less same, exept i never planning to have multipurpose car. In last January i was looking for new hobby due to boring life, and decided to try offroading. Everybody was saying don't spend big money, try first, try first.... i did not listen. Went to TE and bought brand new Sand Runner, which cost me around 250k with modifications. And after 2 month i realized that to be able to drive with most of the clubs, and have most of the fun, i need short wheelbase car. So, i bought 10 years old 2dr Wrangler for 50k. It's another story how much i spent for repairs and modification, generally it was not necessary, it's just my new hobby now, restoring and modifiyng jeeps. I am very happy from result and performance.

What i want to say, if you have money, nobody will stop you, and you will get most probably wrong car. But if you need advice from the person been in exactly same situation, try what i am telling you. Buy car for 40-50k, there is lot on Dubizzle, and drive for one season. If you will not like it, i mean offroading you will sell it for 35k and will loose nothing. Consider as a price to try. But if you will buy now car for 250-350, you will loose a lot of money in case you will not like it.

I did not loose anything, because my initial plan for Sand Runner was camping and expedition. 

Very interesting thoughts @Pavel Pashkovskiy .  I have no issue buying a much cheaper car but my concern is the reliability and cost of repairs and maintenance. The consensus on this forum seems to be less than 5 years old and less than about 50,000 km and that would be more like AED 130-150k for a wrangler. Which is absolutely fine, I’m just concerned the constant or maintenance and repairs on an older car may offset  a lot of the cost difference. Eg - a radiator breaks, gearbox issues, etc. For 190k I can be brand new and could I spend 50k on repairs and maintenance for a used one…

Edited by controlz

Very valid point raised by Pavel, I myself have seen a few times that person jump in offroading with the fully-loaded vehicle and that charm for offroading fades after a few drives. So it's always better to test the water and then if you have 100% interest in offroading, switch to whatever your heart desire.

Possible and probably reasons, why few ppl don't like off-roading, are:

• Adventurous but risky at times (totally scalable)
  • Fun but get the car dirty with sand (unavoidable)
  • Amazing to start but get physically taxing at times (if you are not in good health)
  • Great to tinker (modify) but get backfire with wrong choices or damages

I love what Mark said, 

7 hours ago, Mark B said:

any car is dangerous in the desert you just have to respect that and you will be fine. 

And to understand that the fine line between fun vs stupidity comes with a lot of experience, hassle, cost and failures.

As per my experience of training new ppl, I feel more under-power the car better you will learn the intricacies of offroading and then when you switch to a powerful beast (like 392) you will be more capable and sensible yet safer. The simple reason is if you start with 392, about 80-90% of the job will be done by power and not skill. In reality, your skills will make you shine and also avert danger before it happens.

In off-roading most of the stuff that we do is pure physics (science) based to know our and our vehicle's limits to take the climb and when to turn down to respect gravity. With an under-power car, one tends to know these rules faster and agree to abide by them without any second doubts.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

55 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Very valid point raised by Pavel, I myself have seen a few times that person jump in offroading with the fully-loaded vehicle and that charm for offroading fades after a few drives. So it's always better to test the water and then if you have 100% interest in offroading, switch to whatever your heart desire.

Possible and probably reasons, why few ppl don't like off-roading, are:

• Adventurous but risky at times (totally scalable)
  • Fun but get the car dirty with sand (unavoidable)
  • Amazing to start but get physically taxing at times (if you are not in good health)
  • Great to tinker (modify) but get backfire with wrong choices or damages

I love what Mark said, 

And to understand that the fine line between fun vs stupidity comes with a lot of experience, hassle, cost and failures.

As per my experience of training new ppl, I feel more under-power the car better you will learn the intricacies of offroading and then when you switch to a powerful beast (like 392) you will be more capable and sensible yet safer. The simple reason is if you start with 392, about 80-90% of the job will be done by power and not skill. In reality, your skills will make you shine and also avert danger before it happens.

In off-roading most of the stuff that we do is pure physics (science) based to know our and our vehicle's limits to take the climb and when to turn down to respect gravity. With an under-power car, one tends to know these rules faster and agree to abide by them without any second doubts.

Completely makes sense! The only reason I was looking at a newer vehicle (excluding the 392) is the price differential between a  new and used Wrangler within 5 years doesn't seem that large, and I know that certain used vehicles require a lot of maintenance. That being said, I have found used Pajero's for a lot cheaper than Wranglers, i.e. Around 80-90k!