•  
Advertise here

Good quality off-road tyres selection

17 hours ago, Nivin said:

Yes it is 1386AED for 4 including fitting and one time free rotation and alignment at 10K

Thank you @Nivin  finally I got it done from Juma Al Majid sharjah same person Richard. It was the last 4 piece left with this price. Can’t wait till Friday to hit the dune with it. 😀

• Like (+1) 5

• 3 months later...
On 5/19/2017 at 1:45 PM, Gaurav said:

I had something similar issue in past when I was driving with cooper tires and cooper dealer renaissance trading in deira 04 2669166 sent me to some specialize 3D lazer wheel balancing workshop to adjust the toe, camber and bla bla's like barry mentioned. It was about 5-6 years back and all I remember that they were using the John Beam balancing system.

Either you find some dedicated specialize tire balancing guys to cure this peculiar problem or call renaissance guys and get the name and number of their trusted workshop where I been, as I don't have their contact detail.

For the offroad tires, there are few tires I can suggest and recommend based on my 10+ year own experience in offroad.

Listed below based on my preferences:

1. Yokohama Geolander A/T-S
    • Awesome for offroad in sand, wadi and mountain.
    • Reasonably comfortable on road
    • Reasonably acceptable on fuel mileage
    • Reasonable tire life of 30,000 - 40,000 kms
  2. Michellin LTX M/S-2
    • Awesome for sand but not great for wadi and mountain.
    • Super comfortable on road
    • Good for fuel mileage
    • Awesome tire life of 60,000 kms
  3. Cooper ATR
    • Good for offroad in sand, wadi and mountain.
    • Reasonably comfortable on road
    • Looses tire chunks at half life
    • Reasonable tire life of 30,000 - 40,000 kms
  4. BF Goodrich
    • Very good if your car engine has power modification as they are very heavy for hill climb otherwise
    • Awesome for self recovery in sand and great in mountain traction
    • Tooooooo noisy on road - similar to Cooper STT having aggressive tire tread
    • Bad for fuel mileage
  5. Dunlop / Bridgestone  - Stay away for offroad usage as far as possible.

Instead of Michelin LTX has best of all, but still I rate them second because best tire term should be as an overall factors. I think Yokohama Geolandar has crack that formula very well to strike a balance in offering Good + acceptable without any bad aspect.

Secondly while shopping stick to denomination of A/T-S or M/S-2 or ATR specifically as all company slightly different variation comes in same tire name but for road usage like Yokohama Geolandar H/T (highway tread) - NO NO for off road.

@Gaurav 3 years on from this post, would you still say this holds true regarding recommendations!  And I am lol reading about my stock Dunlop’s making it to the bottom of the list :) 

I was tempted to run the tires I have for a reasonable period (through Newbie levels) and then invest in an upgrade as my first spend... however my recent experience makes me feel it may be wise to change earlier vs later!? Opinions welcome! 

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Niki Patel said:

@Gaurav 3 years on from this post, would you still say this holds true regarding recommendations!  And I am lol reading about my stock Dunlop’s making it to the bottom of the list :) 

I was tempted to run the tires I have for a reasonable period (through Newbie levels) and then invest in an upgrade as my first spend... however my recent experience makes me feel it may be wise to change earlier vs later!? Opinions welcome! 

I just got my Geolander 4th Set early this month.

Using them since 2011, 2014, 2017, 2020 and couldn't be more happier.

If you use your FJC lot on highway, then you can consider Michelin too, as they are super quiet on highway and reasonably good in sand BUT MINUS the rock and mountain driving capabilities.

Yokohama Geolander are great all rounder. I have used their G012 (model) for first 3 sets and this time I got G015 as Yoko discontinued G012 and upgraded to G015.

• Like (+1) 6

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

2 hours ago, Gaurav said:

I just got my Geolander 4th Set early this month.

Using them since 2011, 2014, 2017, 2020 and couldn't be more happier.

If you use your FJC lot on highway, then you can consider Michelin too, as they are super quiet on highway and reasonably good in sand BUT MINUS the rock and mountain driving capabilities.

Yokohama Geolander are great all rounder. I have used their G012 (model) for first 3 sets and this time I got G015 as Yoko discontinued G012 and upgraded to G015.

@Gaurav thank you 🙏🏽 awesome advice spanning near a decade is incredibly helpful.  The current tires are only a month old so I will look to sell them on as may still attract interest and are flawless... ease the pocket when moving to rapidly upgrade to Yokohama G015. 

as we have another car as the daily driver I am less concerned about road noise so will invest in the Yokohama - I searched briefly and see you had this conversation in a previous thread where you also gave some tips on suppliers (rough location in Sharjah) so I will follow those .. 

again thank you - the whiskeys I owe you are mounting up ... I may just send you a bottle in advance 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Hey @Niki Patel, I see you hit the ground running; or popping-out I should say (I just finished reading your absolute newbie post) 😂 Welcome to the club! 

Regarding the tires, I took @Gaurav’s advice and switched from BF Goodrich AT to the Yokohamas. I couldn’t be happier. They’re much quieter on the highway and they handle very well on the sand. You’ll feel the difference when you make the switch yourself. 

When it comes to the pressure sensors on the tires, they’re a true pain. My wife has them on her 2020 LR Discovery and they’re always indicating something😅Really annoying. If you can disable yours with a fuse removal, so be it. If not, look for a more permanent solution when you change your tires.

Finally, my ABS doesn’t disable when I switch off traction control. Are you sure yours does? I don’t think it hurts the car and mine comes on every once in a while. I’m used to it now, and it doesn’t startle me anymore. I wish we had a kill switch for the airbags though. That’s something that worries me... @Ale Vallecchi and @Najeeb Mohammed are fellow FJ drivers, and are my source of information on the FJ for the most part. You might want to hit them up for questions/advice (you might as well up your whisky ante, as you’ll owe to more than just @Gaurav in this case) 🤣

In any event, good luck with it all, and  hope to see you on a future drive soon 😀

• Like (+1) 1

Hey @Ahab Shamaa ... @Ale Vallecchi actually is first on my Xmas list.  I think I was the definition of a total newbie, I had no experience even airing down my tires and he, with no judgement just made it so easy from me!  As a first interaction with a group I lucked out having him there to help!     If he’s a whiskey man I also may need to x2 the order for sure.  Now adding you and @Najeeb Mohammed I may move to date Champaign instead to ensure I have some aed left to buy the kids something :) 

Cannot wait to join you on a drive @Ahab Shamaa don’t rush to the new level!!   If you able to could you also share details of where you picked up your set of tires on our FJ forum (the thread I followed with yourself and Gaurav was intentionally cryptic I know :) )

also I clearly don’t know much... holding the traction control switch turned traction control and vsc  offf (not abs) and I suspect it was the vsc kicking in that I heard (not abs!) you were right ... just read the manual. 

My car the airbag light stays on permanent ... not sure if that’s by design as when buying they added a few Offroad dealer fitted stuff (dual fuel tank, compressor, flag pole and flag bracket).. maybe they disabled the airbags knowing the intended use?  Again I am learning from absolute basics so will double check with the dealership over the week! 

for the TPMS I plan to ask them to remove and place a standard valve in its place ... didn’t get to play with the fuses this evening so will also give that a try! 

thank you for the welcome and constant support!  Never met before but the support is that of friends on this group!  Grateful 🙏🏽

I’ve seen some more drives just posted so better let the wife down again and get myself booked for next Friday! 

Edited by Niki Patel
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Niki Patel said:

I’ve seen some more drives just posted so better let the wife down again and get myself booked for next Friday! 

You are entering dangerous territory my friend. Once this happens, I can assure you that in a year she will start asking "Why are you at home this weekend?"

• Haha (+1) 4