Bhaskar

37 minutes ago, Rizwanm2 said:

look at this.  

Its a 2020 full option model. you get all the bells and whistles, 

i think it will tick all your requirements, 

best part is the price...  straight 40K discount compared to dealer,  

https://tnydu.biz/DOyqHc

image.png.a2bf15988a6b6868a30ac6e594b90980.png

I was just about to say the EXACT same thing. I agree the Montero Sport ticks all the boxes. Fun to drive, modern, less bulky than the Pajero, good offroader....

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Thank you @Frederic

I had kind of overlooked Mitsubishi completely, probably because of the brand perception. But I was just checking out the Montero Sport and it does look like a good option! 

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Frederic said:

I was just about to say the EXACT same thing. I agree the Montero Sport ticks all the boxes. Fun to drive, modern, less bulky than the Pajero, good offroader....

yes exactly. if @Bhaskar is not into hardcore offroad or dune bashing, this is really good deal. 

but 1 small thing to consider is poor resale value compared to Toyota, But better than Jeep i guess.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

1 minute ago, Rizwanm2 said:

yes exactly. if @Bhaskar is not into hardcore offroad or dune bashing, this is really good deal. 

but 1 small thing to consider is poor resale value compared to Toyota, But better than Jeep i guess.  

Very wisely said that Mitsubishi Monetro Sport has poor resale value as you can see it dropped almost 40K in 5 months, I know its a distress sale, COVID, people going back, but still huge drop.

Toyota's are best in resale, then Nissan and then Honda and Mitsu - in Japanese segment.

My first bet with given budget + offroad choice = FJC or Prado. If you consider extreme offroading in the future FJC requires no expense, but Prado need a bash plate and/or bumper trimming/change.

And if you are in UAE and an outdoor loving soul, at some point you will hit the desert. And at that time you definitely don't want to be sitting on roadside sand and enjoy the dunes view than driving by yourself.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Poorer resale value than Toyota is something we've to accept for most brands here I guess! Given its Japanese, I am assuming the service costs / parts etc. wouldn't be too expensive?

• Like (+1) 2

@Gaurav For a Prado to fit into my budget, I would need to go for a 2015 / 16 model and compromise on the tech etc. isn't it? Checked out the FJC as well, a bit too 'crude' for my liking. I know it has a huge fanbase though! I wish the new Defender would be cheaper (wayyyy cheaper!) or the new Bronco would have come earlier! 😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Mitsubishi parts are the most expensive among Japanese brands but it will also outlast accordingly.

So if you are fine with limited offroad capability (not great) and happy to accept limited resale value then Yes Montero is a safer bet.

For lowering year to 2016 for Prado is actually better to eliminate first 3 years exorbitant resale drop. And if you go in those lines then do research how much they have been changed in tech from 2016 - 2018 model. I bet none, as Toyota is so slow to add new features unless they have tested 1000% in all continents unlike Germans.

Btw, Prado are more comfier, spacious than FJC and holds resale value - The Best.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 minute ago, Gaurav said:

Mitsubishi parts are the most expensive among Japanese brands but it will also outlast accordingly.

So if you are fine with limited offroad capability (not great) and happy to accept limited resale value then Yes Montero is a safer bet.

For lowering year to 2016 for Prado is actually better to eliminate first 3 years exorbitant resale drop. And if you go in those lines then do research how much they have been changed in tech from 2016 - 2018 model. I bet none, as Toyota is so slow to add new features unless they have tested 1000% in all continents unlike Germans.

Btw, Prado are more comfier, spacious than FJC and holds resale value - The Best.

i'm inclined to believe that Montero Sport is not to be underestimated. It's relatively light (2070kg) , has 8 speed gearbox with around 215hp, and the 30 degree approach angle on stock version is also not too bad. I've seen @Szymon Stankiewicz taking it to Fewbie level without any hiccups. Of course it's not a contender against a FJ Cruiser, and the Prado 4.0 is far more powerful, but for this price you won't find anything in this league.

It's indeed funny to see how Prado is keeping their value. Has to be together with the Batrol the least depreciating car in the UAE.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Thank you @Gaurav & @Frederic for the well-rounded perspectives! Having a quick look at Dubizzle, I see some good options for Prado but mostly from used cars dealers. And some are even retro-fitted with touch screen navigation systems. Ok to consider those? 

• Like (+1) 2

@Bhaskar I have a 2107 Grand Cherokee Limited. 

Going by just your first post and what you expect from vehicle, the Grand Cherokee fits the bill in every department. I drive an average of 6k Kms per month with my job and off-road every weekend with Carnity and it has served me well with minimal modifications. 

If at some point you decide you want to do a higher level of off roading, there will be limitations and at that point you would need to take a call on modifications based on your requirement. 

Edited by Brette
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2