•  

Manual vs Automatic off-road

M.Seidam

16 hours ago, Srikumar said:

Another technique, which I am still practicing is to keep the engine revs constant during the gear shift, that means I am trying to hold the gas steady. .

I read that and thought you meant you were attempting float shifting on hill climbs  🤯 Was gonna ask how your gearbox was surviving.

I've only ever done it in extreme emergency situations, like my clutch went in France and had to drive all the way back to Scotland double dipping and float shifting ....the joys hahaha

30 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar said:

I read that and thought you meant you were attempting float shifting on hill climbs  🤯 Was gonna ask how your gearbox was surviving.

I've only ever done it in extreme emergency situations, like my clutch went in France and had to drive all the way back to Scotland double dipping and float shifting ....the joys hahaha

Maybe I have not mentioned it clearly. I am not doing Float Shifting. I am pressing and releasing the clutch pedal during the gear shift. It's just that I keep my feet on the throttle so that when the downshift happens its more smoother at RPMs of about 3000-3500 without any jerks and that would possibly help in longer hill climbs. And with a quick press and depress of the clutch pedal I am avoiding burning it as well.

Again, my success rate is much lower than the attempts that I have made, but hey we need to keep trying something different.

• Like (+1) 2

As i mentioned i am using tiptronic and have been experimenting with few tricks - would really appreciate if you can share your thoughts and advice on same. Generally thanks to my pretty new wrangler one of them sails me through in most cases, however have been trying to see in most challanging situation what's a better way. 

A. My base approach has been approach start with 1st gear and go all the way through. Generally approach something like Iftar bowl at around 3-3.5 and gradually it goes to around 5-5.5k. Bumps are a challenge but then Iftar bowl is something have done multiple times so know how to plan. 

B Someone suggested that going further steep when rpm goes high, find a suitable area to use BLIP (a smoother part where achieved momentum can push through) to bring rpm down and create some cushion for that tough spot. Tried it few times, worked sometime and didn't at times - more of judging the terrain. 

C. The one I have not been successful with has been starting with gear 2 and downshifting. 

Suggestions and advice on these please. @Srikumar @Foxtrot Oscar

Cheers 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, varunmehndiratta said:

As i mentioned i am using tiptronic and have been experimenting with few tricks - would really appreciate if you can share your thoughts and advice on same. Generally thanks to my pretty new wrangler one of them sails me through in most cases, however have been trying to see in most challanging situation what's a better way. 

A. My base approach has been approach start with 1st gear and go all the way through. Generally approach something like Iftar bowl at around 3-3.5 and gradually it goes to around 5-5.5k. Bumps are a challenge but then Iftar bowl is something have done multiple times so know how to plan. 

B Someone suggested that going further steep when rpm goes high, find a suitable area to use BLIP (a smoother part where achieved momentum can push through) to bring rpm down and create some cushion for that tough spot. Tried it few times, worked sometime and didn't at times - more of judging the terrain. 

C. The one I have not been successful with has been starting with gear 2 and downshifting. 

Suggestions and advice on these please. @Srikumar @Foxtrot Oscar

Cheers 

OK.  I will start by asking about the size of your tires and assume that you haven't re-geared your ride.  Also if it is a Rubicon or not (there are some differences in the wrangler transfer if it is a Rubi or not).

Edited by Alexander Alcala
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Alexander Alcala said:

OK.  I will start by asking about the size of your tires and assume that you haven't re-geared your ride.  Also if it is a Rubicon or not (there are some differences in the wrangler transfer if it is a Rubi or not).

Sahara JL all stock with 255/70R18

50 minutes ago, varunmehndiratta said:

Sahara JL all stock with 255/70R18

You can get away with 1st and 2nd gear with that configuration.  Its just a matter of teaching your car.  Also if the uphill is very steep you can switch to 3rd-LOW because the Sahara gearing is not as short as the Rubi's.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Alexander Alcala said:

You can get away with 1st and 2nd gear with that configuration.  Its just a matter of teaching your car.  Also if the uphill is very steep you can switch to 3rd-LOW because the Sahara gearing is not as short as the Rubi's.

Thanks @Alexander Alcala  So what i mentioned as my base option for steep one is what you find has been good to go? ... As i mentioned it's surely has been working till now on most cases ... Was just exploring if any thing diff can add to smoothness .. 3rd low option is something surely on my mind to try - though not that smooth in Jeep to change over while on the move perhaps will explore it on a fewbie drive with slower pace in coming weeks 

On 5/30/2021 at 3:09 PM, Anoop Nair said:

Dear Fellow Carnitians, Could you please advise on the gear use while driving manual off road? As example a climb like pink rock, can this be done on second gear or only to be done on first (or can attempt to change in between during the climb? or a bad idea). Also is there any real negatives if first gear is used extensively during the drive. Also is there any occasion, where in flat dunes we can go to 3rd gear if the rpm is around 2.5K. Advises are much appreciated. TIA

Hello. I have only just started driving in the desert but after some advice last week I found 2nd and 3rd gear most fitting and 1 for a slow start hill climb. I was driving in 1st a lot but found that when driving in second I could pick up a lot more momentum going into the climb so wouldn’t actually need to use first for a lot of it. I drive a Wranlger. 

10 minutes ago, Rory Ashman said:

Hello. I have only just started driving in the desert but after some advice last week I found 2nd and 3rd gear most fitting and 1 for a slow start hill climb. I was driving in 1st a lot but found that when driving in second I could pick up a lot more momentum going into the climb so wouldn’t actually need to use first for a lot of it. I drive a Wranlger. 

Hi @Rory Ashman I felt second will be mostly suited and first can be used if there is only short run up to get out of a bowl etc. for 3rd the issue is mostly it will be below 2500 rpm and to use it for a climb with enough momentum you will need to have a long run up to increase the rpm. Hope it makes sense. I drive a Wrangler too..

• Thanks (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use