•  
Advertise here

Using the differential lock when climbing a high dune

Atif

18 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

This is very useful info. It means I can use the diff lock more often off-road than I thought I could. Need to try out all combination sometime in future. 

• Like (+1) 1

@Mohamed Seidam we have tried using hand brake, but its not recommended for prolonged periods. Best way would be to dig, use the blip blip @Gaurav bhai tradenark and steering full left and full right 5 times. If nothing works than tug the poor vehicle out.

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

@Gaurav bhai's Pajero is special and has both rear and central difflock, it is from an era when Pajeros were ruling the Dakar and most of the technology made it to the top end models. The newer Pajero only 3.8 liter version comes with rear difflock only. Central difflock locks from the middle thus giving each tire the same amount of power. Pajero with the rear difflock means it only locks the rear wheels, which means the rear wheels power is equally distributed. However I would highly recommend using difflocks in case of stucks only and not while doing other maneuvers or climbs.

Every Pajero, even the generation 4 has a central diff-lock (4Hlc). And the 3.8 models have the rear dif lock on top of that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

13 hours ago, Mohamed Seidam said:

@Gaurav bhai and @Rahimdad bhai  

in case of no diff lock ( my X is lacking it ) what is the alternative ? in other words is there a way or trick that may simulate the diff lock ? .. off course we are talking here about the stuck situation ( except central crest stuck ) 

Hi @Mohamed Seidam 

SInce Xterra is part time 4WD it locks the centerdiff as soon as we shift to 4WD-HI

i have noticed couple of times tyre scraping noise and hard steering when driving on 4WD-HI on solid surface. (of course by mistake not my intention) Hence i assume this is because center diff is lock and not open diff. 

Also in Xterra offroad version got the rear diff lock. so it doesn't make sense to give a rear difflock without locking the center transfer case. 

This is my understanding about the Xterra, Please correct me if im wrong 

Edited by Rizwanm2
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

1 hour ago, Rizwanm2 said:

SInce Xterra is part time 4WD it locks the centerdiff as soon as we shift to 4WD-HI

That is true in performance equivalent . However I am really not quite sure if it has central locking mechanism !

Edited by Mohamed Seidam
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2020 at 5:40 PM, Atif said:

Is it useful to have a locked differential when climbing a high dune? This was mentioned by one Carnity member when driving his Patrol up on the second attempt when he was successful using a locked one.
Prado offers only a central diff lock so how much difference is it to the Pajero’s options?

As per my understanding in a locked differential the torque would wary so as to transfer to the tyre with the maximum grip i.e resistance thus it should be more effective.Am I correct?
However, I don’t know if locking it while side sloping would be detrimental.

@Atif - this might have been me. 

I did it as a trial as:

- half way up the hill,  although traction control was off (4H, Sand) - kept losing power on my first 2 runs.

-  on my last try - I recalled seeing the below charts somewhere, where it mentioned that VDC/TCS is off when rear diff is engaged. It worked, engine kept up the revs.

1197571013_Drivemodes.jpg.68f807a80a529df5374b5db5f33922c9.jpg

Not sure if it's only my y62 struggling to switch off the TCS completely....

Throttle modes.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2020 at 11:49 PM, Rahimdad said:

@Mohamed Seidam we have tried using hand brake, but its not recommended for prolonged periods. Best way would be to dig, use the blip blip @Gaurav bhai tradenark and steering full left and full right 5 times. If nothing works than tug the poor vehicle out.

Whats @Gaurav's blip blip technique? 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Jasim Khumi said:

Whats @Gaurav's blip blip technique? 

During self recovery, giving little bursts of gas up to 1500rpm (blip blip). This while turning the steering wheel full left and full right

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."