Advertise here

Portable Car Jump Starter/ Power Bank

Thank you @Wrangeld @Lakshmi Narasimhan @Foxtrot Oscar @Gaurav @Rahimdad @Srikumar @Lawrence_Chehimi for your valuable input.

Any recommendation for a decent old style jumpper cable? How many AMP is required for the kind of engine that we use?

Edited by Anish S
  • Like (+1) 1

@Anish S, a good brand will be measured by the Gauge value. The lower the number the thicker the cable thus more current can be transferred. Don't be fooled by the current values on these cheap jumper cables, for me I had to use double cables saying 1000 amps to get that car started And I'm sure that these numbers are nonesense as they looked like they were 6-guage or 8-Guage.

On the other hand, a branded cable will say it is rated for 800amp when it has a cable with 1-Ga thickness.

If the quality is good a 4-Ga cable will be fine for a sedan, but for a truck or SUV it is more recommended to use 2-Ga or 1-Ga. For A large pickup 1-Ga might be needed.

In the past I used to work on diesel trucks and excavators I had 0 and 00-Guage cables.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The thickness of the cable is most important. Buy a cable with a low gauge number like 1 or 2. Ensure that the alligator clips are built strong and ofcourse a longer cable is preferred as it gives you more flexibility while using. And the insulation along the cable should be quite thick.

Something like this :

https://www.amazon.ae/Iron-Forge-Tools-Jumper-Cables/dp/B01BX1GRJM/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=jumper+cable+gauge+2&qid=1617299334&sr=8-2

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1