Advertise here

FJ Cruiser vs Pajero vs Wrangler vs Xterra - which one is better for my use?

samamara

6 hours ago, M.Seidam said:

Hi @samamara 

first of all thank you for your post , yet useful discussion indeed for all .It is always not an easy decision when it comes to which is best. 

last year I came across similar cross road of what to choose and my second hand short list was Wrangler , Pagero and Xterra drove all of them as test drive ending up with 2012 Xterra. all the three were apparently clean after checking and at that time I didn’t want to spend lots of money so I found the Xterra the best of both world ( driving me to work and back home with daily almost 70 km on average , comfortable enough as a single driver , as well as my weekly desert capable powerful machine in sand terrain ) . Squeezing leaves was never a problem with regular steam wash😊

however if it’s a bank funded brand new I would have gone straight away for the Super safari SWB . 
If I am a fan of wadi and photography then its the rubicon no doubt be it SWB or LWB it’s your choice of space and number of passengers you would like to carry with you , not mentioning the handy removal of roofs doors .. etc and tons of mods “ RTA approved “ annual registration headache free and warranty .. etc 

FJ is great off-roader  but i am too claustrophobic for daily use as well as visibility was important as I was at the beginning of the learning curve. So it was out of my choice regardless new or sec hand . 

my humble advice  short list your needs against the short list of the available  options in the light of the different opinions ( another reason why I like this unbiased community ) and I hope you get best what you are looking for . 

best of luck 🙏

Mohamed 

Thank you @M.Seidam for your contribution and advice on this topic 😊. I'm hoping to go for something bank-funded yes, but not brand new. My father warned me (like a million times 😂) never to buy a brand new car, and I'd rather not go that deep into a huge monthly payment anyway. I've found lots of reasonably priced second-hand cars, though this thread is the first time I've heard of the need to buy a 'clean' car, so I'll keep that on my list of things to keep in mind for sure. 

To be honest my daily use of the car is not heavy duty or anything; I live less than 10km away from work and I live in the ever-lovely RAK so most daily needs are within a 20 minutes drive at most. My weekends are a different story, as you can find me anywhere in the country - desert, wadi, whatever - but that means a 2-5 hour drive depending on where I want to go. Fuel efficiency doesn't have to be a top consideration over comfort and noise in the cabin. Living in RAK also means that "RTA Approved" is not super important; things in RAK are a little...easier 😂. I've been asked to move the crash/bumper guards off my Pajero every single year and never have, which the guy at the testing centre thought hilarious 🤷🏻‍♀️😂

Thanks again, Mohamed - I will definitely take my short list and my needs together with all of this advice and hope I make the best decision!

2 hours ago, Hisham Masaad said:

Wish you all the best @samamara, hoping you decision will be the best for you. Look forward to see you in sand enjoying your new car

Thanks @Hisham Masaad - hoping for the best!

• Like (+1) 3

We should add a betting feature on such thread, once car buyer is fully aware after receiving all experts and owner advises, then we can place our bets on which car he/she will go for, but privately, that will be only revelead once buyer reveals the purchase.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

7 minutes ago, samamara said:

Thank you @M.Seidam for your contribution and advice on this topic 😊. I'm hoping to go for something bank-funded yes, but not brand new. My father warned me (like a million times 😂) never to buy a brand new car, and I'd rather not go that deep into a huge monthly payment anyway. I've found lots of reasonably priced second-hand cars, though this thread is the first time I've heard of the need to buy a 'clean' car, so I'll keep that on my list of things to keep in mind for sure. 

To be honest my daily use of the car is not heavy duty or anything; I live less than 10km away from work and I live in the ever-lovely RAK so most daily needs are within a 20 minutes drive at most. My weekends are a different story, as you can find me anywhere in the country - desert, wadi, whatever - but that means a 2-5 hour drive depending on where I want to go. Fuel efficiency doesn't have to be a top consideration over comfort and noise in the cabin. Living in RAK also means that "RTA Approved" is not super important; things in RAK are a little...easier 😂. I've been asked to move the crash/bumper guards off my Pajero every single year and never have, which the guy at the testing centre thought hilarious 🤷🏻‍♀️😂

Thanks again, Mohamed - I will definitely take my short list and my needs together with all of this advice and hope I make the best decision!

Thanks @Hisham Masaad - hoping for the best!

Thank you @samamara, but in think from what you have mentioned above, would highly recommend .....🤣🤣 you must know by now

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hisham Masaad said:

but in think from what you have mentioned above, would highly recommend .....🤣🤣 you must know by now

I see peace coming behind the dunes , always 😄

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hisham Masaad said:

Thank you @samamara, but in think from what you have mentioned above, would highly recommend .....🤣🤣 you must know by now

Thanks @Hisham Masaad 😂 I do know but as I said, that's now a hard no for me 💔. The idea that it's a bit tight in the back for grownups (which you can guess by looking at it) is a bit discomforting (literally and figuratively 😂), but the fact that the back seat windows don't roll down is the ultimate deal breaker. As I mentioned, my desert expeditions are mainly for photography (and camping ❤️); having windows that don't go down is just not feasible in any way, sadly. Though I do appreciate the love that you and your fellow FJ-ers have for the vehicle - which does seem amazing in every other way - it's just not for me 😔

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, samamara said:

As I mentioned, my desert expeditions are mainly for photography (and camping ❤️

This is a second hand bank funded LWB wrangler if it’s me . If extra comfort is of concern it is the second hand bank funded LWB Super safari ( both to be checked properly to find clean one and for the later bit more pricy than the wrangler ) , if it’s me I would sacrifice the little extra comfort and get the peace finally 🤣

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, M.Seidam said:

This is a second hand bank funded LWB wrangler if it’s me . If extra comfort is of concern it is the second hand bank funded LWB Super safari ( both to be checked properly to find clean one and for the later bit more pricy than the wrangler ) , if it’s me I would sacrifice the little extra comfort and get the peace finally 🤣

Thanks @M.Seidam - I'm starting to lean back toward the Wrangler again after some scared me away...this conversation has helped me to see that some of my fears were unfounded, though I've still not yet decided. As others have mentioned, I need to test drive a few options before truly knowing which ones I want. Though now I have to make sure I understand completely the differences between all the Wranglers 😂😂😂. At this rate I'll be driving my Pajero for ages more! 

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Hisham Masaad said:

You never know @Niki, peace might come soon. My sun Abdelghani started taking driving courses, and his eyes are open on my Fj.

If decide to look for another car, I will post on the forum, asking for suggestions again, matching my requirements and preferences.

@Hisham Masaad 

#1 you have brought your son up well it seems! 
#2 don’t bother posting your requirements, the answer to your (and any 4x4) question for us, is ….. an FJ!

We are hard wired to our cars! 

7 hours ago, varunmehndiratta said:

Hahaha @Niki ... I actually like FJ Xtreme has really a nice feel to it, especially lole the way doors open. It's pretty unique and cool....only thing that i have been trying to figure out is where to go once the mystery door opens...😃😃😃

It's a beautiful lamp but no space for poor Genie...😉😉

@varunmehndiratta The rear space in an FJ serves as our motivation to get into shape!  The car doesn’t only takes care of us off road! 

I have started to draft the peace treaty …. This could be a monumental week :) 

• Haha (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Niki said:

@Hisham Masaad 

@varunmehndiratta The rear space in an FJ serves as our motivation to get into shape!  The car doesn’t only takes care of us off road! 

I have started to draft the peace treaty …. This could be a monumental week :) 

That's where you missed the point brother...in dangerous sport of offroading it's the momentum that matters ..i am not going to let go that Mass ..😂😂😂

• Haha (+1) 3

Just now, PaoloMaraziti said:

hey I heard here that that FJ is the best Offroader , right @Nikiand @Hisham Masaad ? I just want to second that 😂

@varunmehndiratta indeed a great car for the offroad, but when I read your comment about photographers... well , let's say that the FJ has the visibility of an armoured military vehicle especially in the back :D

Then it's definitely not for me 😂💔. This photographer needs access to all windows all the time...you never know what's around you in the desert and you have to be ready to shoot anywhere 😂❤️📷!

• Totally Agree (+2) 2