•  

Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Lesaily Run Rewind II (Qudra to Lisaili) - Dubai - 17 Sep 2023

Looper

Survey Question (for drive participants only)  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Was the drive time adequate?

• It was a loooong drive.
    • It ended right on time.
    • It ended a bit too soon.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/18/2023 at 03:30 PM

2066992023_2023-09-18(1).png.a4e0a22ccf7105a8fe43052b33d0ec34.pngI have a small poll on this post appended to the first drive post at the beginning of the thread request participants of the drive to respond to it. Please keep reading the Drive Report to learn more.

Drive Report:

Encouraged by my previous drive a couple of weeks ago I wanted to redo it again as an easy drive. I even tried to change the track a bit to make it even easier; but we were mostly driving on the same track as last time. As it turned out, in the end it was anything but easy. There were some initial hiccups for sure, it was a good learning experience; I hope for everyone. While at every break and at every refusal I kept telling myself and the team that it is going to be easy next - that easiness seemed elusive for most part. There was a section where we could drive effortlessly and at a fast pace in between wide-open dunes but soon we ended up in a technical area. After the first few refusals and the couple of breaks it seemed we would have had to extend the drive a bit if we were to finish at Lisaili. When I saw that we were on a track that was going towards Qudra, I decided that it would be better for us to exit at Qudra on time rather than go to Lisaili and extend the drive. I have a survey question in this regard my decision on ending the drive when I did. What is your opinion on it?

The Learnings:

One important lesson we have learnt today is that one should sense if one's car is moving or not in a stuck situation and decide how much gas they must give. A simple formula for it is: 

Is the car moving?

• Yes - yes, then give gas
  • No - no, don't give much gas because the car will dig itself and make the situation worse.

But in either case the RPM must be about 1500 not more.

Another thing that we also experienced & hopefully learnt is that one must feel the sand under one's car, and if it seems soft on the wheels, then must give more gas, but avoid getting stuck, if one does get stuck or has slowed down significantly then avoid giving any more gas.

In the first refusal where we had 3 cars get stuck, what did we do? We reversed and then tried again. Often reversing from a stuck position helps becuase, the car gets out of the churned-up sand that is stopping it in front of the tires plus the car moves to a cleaner patch of desert. Reversing also has more torque that helps to move the car a bit more easily than going forward even in first gear. After reversing, look for a clean track and move slowly at first and then floor the gas to get out of the patch.

Credits:

The Jeep gang had a remarkable drive except for just one refusal where we had to pull @Deepak Eswar from a crested position. @Ben Williams love to see your TJ doing its magic in every drive. Thank you @Juan R for an excellent 2nd lead and you were perfect. 

The Pajero gang and just one refusal at the start but with @Ishak opening the account but thereafter it was smooth sailing. @Srilakshman Karthikeyan - you had a great drive.

In the Xterra mafia, @Zulfikhar Naiyar - you have shown your expertise with the car and the terrain. @Sreenath G after the initial hiccup where you too got stuck behind Ishak, you drove well in the rest of the drive. Also, thanks for the sweets in the first break. I realized it is a tradition to offer sweets when you have a new car. Hope by the end of the drive you have become a bit more comfortable with the manual gears.

The FJ gang had one new Fewbie with @Shiju Raju and you too faced the first batch of refusal. and thereafter it was mostly smooth sailing for you. I will look forward to seeing you in many more drives in the future. @Johannes Roux you too had almost a perfect drive. It so happens that FJs do get stuck unnecessarily where others are having a break. I had this experiance first hand from yesterday when the FJ somehow decideded that it is too soft and it should get stuck when we were having a break. I would like to take this opportunity to thank @Rob S and @Imran Asghar for their support to the drive. I could not have done this without your help at the back.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

14 hours ago, Looper said:

662383504_Screenshot2023-09-17144358.png.2458b6dfa2efba5a801dfea4fec3f331.png

I have a small poll on this post appended to the first drive post at the beginning of the thread request participants of the drive to respond to it. Please keep reading the Drive Report to learn more.

Drive Report:

Encouraged by my previous drive a couple of weeks ago I wanted to redo it again as an easy drive. I even tried to change the track a bit to make it even easier; but we were mostly driving on the same track as last time. As it turned out, in the end it was anything but easy. There were some initial hiccups for sure, it was a good learning experience; I hope for everyone. While at every break and at every refusal I kept telling myself and the team that it is going to be easy next - that easiness seemed elusive for most part. There was a section where we could drive effortlessly and at a fast pace in between wide-open dunes but soon we ended up in a technical area. After the first few refusals and the couple of breaks it seemed we would have had to extend the drive a bit if we were to finish at Lisaili. When I saw that we were on a track that was going towards Qudra, I decided that it would be better for us to exit at Qudra on time rather than go to Lisaili and extend the drive. I have a survey question in this regard my decision on ending the drive when I did. What is your opinion on it?

The Learnings:

One important lesson we have learnt today is that one should sense if one's car is moving or not in a stuck situation and decide how much gas they must give. A simple formula for it is: 

Is the car moving?

• No - no, don't give much gas because the car will dig itself and make the situation worse.

Another thing that we also experienced & hopefully learnt is that one must feel the sand under one's car, and if it seems soft on the wheels, then must give more gas, but avoid getting stuck, if one does get stuck or has slowed down significantly then avoid giving any more gas.

In the first refusal where we had 3 cars get stuck, what did we do? We reversed and then tried again. Often reversing from a stuck position helps becuase, the car gets out of the churned-up sand that is stopping it in front of the tires plus the car moves to a cleaner patch of desert. Reversing also has more torque that helps to move the car a bit more easily than going forward even in first gear. After reversing, look for a clean track and move slowly at first and then floor the gas to get out of the patch.

Credits:

The Jeep gang had a remarkable drive except for just one refusal where we had to pull @Deepak Eswar from a crested position. @Ben Williams love to see your TJ doing its magic in every drive. Thank you @Juan R for an excellent 2nd lead and you were perfect. 

The Pajero gang and just one refusal at the start but with @Ishak opening the account but thereafter it was smooth sailing. @Srilakshman Karthikeyan - you had a great drive.

In the Xterra mafia, @Zulfikhar Naiyar - you have shown your expertise with the car and the terrain. @Sreenath G after the initial hiccup where you too got stuck behind Ishak, you drove well in the rest of the drive. Also, thanks for the sweets in the first break. I realized it is a tradition to offer sweets when you have a new car. Hope by the end of the drive you have become a bit more comfortable with the manual gears.

The FJ gang had one new Fewbie with @Shiju Raju and you too faced the first batch of refusal. and thereafter it was mostly smooth sailing for you. I will look forward to seeing you in many more drives in the future. @Johannes Roux you too had almost a perfect drive. It so happens that FJs do get stuck unnecessarily where others are having a break. I had this experiance first hand from yesterday when the FJ somehow decideded that it is too soft and it should get stuck when we were having a break. I would like to take this opportunity to thank @Rob S and @Imran Asghar for their support to the drive. I could not have done this without your help at the back.

Thanks you @Looper. My maiden desert drive with Xterra that too with manual gear felt so safe with carnity. Excellent drive.  Hoping on my coming drives will have more confident and fun. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Thank you @Looperfor organizing , leading and guidance through the drive. 

@Rob Sand @Imran Asghar thank your for your calm and composed approach through the stucks and refusals.  Your support was very much appreciated by all

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 9/17/2023 at 3:30 PM, Looper said:

2066992023_2023-09-18(1).png.a4e0a22ccf7105a8fe43052b33d0ec34.pngI have a small poll on this post appended to the first drive post at the beginning of the thread request participants of the drive to respond to it. Please keep reading the Drive Report to learn more.

Drive Report:

The Learnings:

Is the car moving?

Credits:

Dear Gautam,  Indeed, it was a valuable experience and enjoyed it well. Thank you for your support and all the other members for the cooperation extended throughout the drive.

As explained, understand the importance of sensing the car's movement and managing gas in a stuck situation. The formula you mentioned makes sense and will be helpful in future drives.

Appreciate your decision to adjust the route and make the call to exit at Qudra when needed.

Look forward to joining for future drives.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use