•  
Advertise here

Jeep Wrangler 4H Auto vs Part-time

1 hour ago, Josh S said:

why would somebody choose to use Auto instead of Part time?

I choose 4H Auto because I did not know what Part Time 4x4 was at the beginning just like you and auto (presumably like in any camera) takes care of most stuff. But later on when I learnt what Part Time 4x4 was, then too continued with 4H Auto because it just worked flawlessly for my use case scenario.

• Like (+1) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

34 minutes ago, Looper said:

I choose 4H Auto because I did not know what Part Time 4x4 was at the beginning just like you and auto (presumably like in any camera) takes care of most stuff. But later on when I learnt what Part Time 4x4 was, then too continued with 4H Auto because it just worked flawlessly for my use case scenario.

Outing myself as a fan of 4H part on sand. Started with 4H high as recommended and preferred 4H part as soon as I tried it. I do believe I have more control of the car taking away a yet another system that does stuff for me. Prefer the driving characteristics and direct control on sand with the 50:50 ratio being fixed. Didn't experience the digging down to the extent that I would say it makes a difference @Benjamin. But that could just be different preferences. Maybe the same reason I am into the oversized tires. Got used to it to the extend of loving it. Trying out the different modes I think is a way to learn more about your car and yourself as a driver. Just don't do 4h part on solid surface.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Josh S

Also @Frederic - what are the requirements to become a Carnity instructor in terms of driving experience and teaching experience? Is there a general level shared across all UAE clubs? Many thanks. 

Of course I cannot talk about the skillset of other instructors outside of Carnity, but inside Carnity our instructors are all seasoned  marshals who have hundreds of drives under their belts here, and have been in all sorts of terrains. Furthermore they excel in communicating and mentoring any off-roader to get the best out of them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

7 hours ago, Bjoern said:

Outing myself as a fan of 4H part on sand. Started with 4H high as recommended and preferred 4H part as soon as I tried it. I do believe I have more control of the car taking away a yet another system that does stuff for me. Prefer the driving characteristics and direct control on sand with the 50:50 ratio being fixed. Didn't experience the digging down to the extent that I would say it makes a difference @Benjamin. But that could just be different preferences. Maybe the same reason I am into the oversized tires. Got used to it to the extend of loving it. Trying out the different modes I think is a way to learn more about your car and yourself as a driver. Just don't do 4h part on solid surface.

Agreed @Bjoern every time I’ve tested the two I’ve had a totally different feel in my Jeep. 

part-time is great but I’ve only ever found it useful (in my personal preference) with more on the side of extreme off-roading conditions. Climbing mountains in Ras Al-Khaimah I’ve found this setting to be a useful choice. 

in the end of the day these settings are totally down to the driver and their preference in the sand. personally I like having part-time as an extra aid if I were to get stuck in 4-auto which has worked for me before. Though I do prefer the feel of the car when I’m in control and not the computer. It’s a mixed bag I reckon 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Bjoern you should give a try to 4H Auto in a more relaxed level drive and you will love it too.

I only shift to HLC (Same as Part-time) on high-level drive during tricky terrain. The whole Liwa crossing I did on 4H Auto and used HLC for 10% area closer to the Saudi border, where I constantly needed to climb and steer left and right.

Oftentimes what we read and get in the sand is two different worlds. For a normal sand track going through the dunes 4H Auto is intelligent enough to power front for few seconds when speed drops, and then favor the rear rest of the time while vehicle speeds up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

12 hours ago, Josh S said:

what are the requirements to become a Carnity instructor in terms of driving experience and teaching experience?

12 hours ago, Josh S said:

Is there a general level shared across all UAE clubs?

I hope if that happens, many ppl will save their car, money and hassle.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Another factor that would influence my choice between the two options is whether the trip leader is driving a SWB vehicle. When you're driving a LWB vehicle and following a SWB lead, it's crucial to have the central differential open (4H for Pajero/4H auto for Wrangler). This setup reduces the turning radius, making it easier to follow the track created by the SWB lead.

I faced significant challenges when I drove the LWB Pathfinder, which lacked a central differential. In this vehicle, the front and rear wheels were locked at a 50:50 power distribution at all times when 4WD was engaged. I had to make the wheels spin excessively to stay on the path created by the SWB lead. In technical terrain and more advanced drives, deviating from the lead's track can be quite risky.

After driving the SWB Pajero, I've come to realize that driving a SWB vehicle in the desert is a blessing! especially vehicles like the SWB Pajero and JL, which allow the central differential to remain open when 4WD is engaged.

Edited by Cha
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

13 hours ago, Josh S said:

If Part time uses 4x4 all the time, surely there are no disadvantages to doing that,

@Josh S ah Jeep and its marketing terms compounded by seasoned individuals who advise without explaining technicalities. You have the Rock-Trac Transfer Case with 5 positions and the confusion is 4WD Hi Auto vs 4WD Hi Part Time. The Part Time moniker is Jeep's tongue-in-cheek way of saying "use this part of the time". Why? 4WD High Auto for non-Jeeps is the same like driving the default Patrol and Land Cruiser: it means turn all 4-wheels at same time, otherwise known by non-Jeeps as Full-Time 4WD. There are no 2WD in Patrol and Land Cruiser so we just casually wait and watch Instagram everytime a Jeeper says "enganging 2WD" 😂  4WD High Part-Time is the same in non-Jeeps as Turn-All-4-Wheels + Lock the Center Diff. This splits the torque front diff 50% and rear diff 50% and all 4 wheels move at the same rotational speed. Rally drivers use 4WD + Center Diff Lock when in long straight track as it gives more traction to push the car forward. They turn off when making sharp turns or many zig-zag turns. 

You just triggered something that was buried in my memory. After my rollover, I noticed my Center Diff Lock light was on, and this was a mistake. The theory of turning wheels and the invention of differential is to allow front wheels to turn at slower speed than rear wheels, thus making a smooth turn. When you lock the Center Diff, the front wheels turn at the same speed as rear, so when you turn with Center Diff locked you will be DRIFTING. Now imagine me turning 90° with diff lock on to steer down the car during a high-speed side-sloping at 8psi... yeah I don't think you'd do that as I'm a proof of what happens when you do that 😂

People who drive with Center Diff Lock on don't realize this or downplay this theory because their current sand is so soft that the stress of turning wheels at the same speed get "burned" by the sand / cool drifting. But ONCE they got the hard sand and turn 90°, it's the same as turning with Center Diff locked on asphalt. You can do this at home: turn 4WD + Part Time in your parking area and try turning 90° left-right. That effect will be the same when your sand changes from soft to hard sand.

To understand more about Differential, I implore you to read my article below, young padawan 😅

• Totally Agree (+2) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1