•  
Advertise here

Jeep Wrangler 4High vs 4Low

On 1/21/2024 at 1:07 PM, Pavel Pashkovskiy said:

To talk about Jeep, you must have Jeep at first. To talk about proper Jeep you must have Jeep and first and make from it proper Jeep at second. Only people who passed all this steps can prove difference. 

Any stock car can climb something, even Toyota Corolla. 

@Pavel Pashkovskiy there is a certain uniqueness to @Carnity which is very far from chest pumping and crazy dune bashing. Most members are family people who would like to have a drive in the weekend to break the routine. No crazy daring stuff, no ego tests and definitely no compromise or jeopardy when it comes to safety. Based on what I am reading, and mind you I am not part of the crew nor support nor experts and most probably it is not my place to ask this,

but are you sure you are in the right club?

Most, if not all members, are not here for pissing contests. This is not Carnity’s profile. This is an inclusive club, based on a family concept with a golden rule of safety first. 

Edited by Mike M.
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mike M. said:

@Pavel Pashkovskiy there is a certain uniqueness to @Carnity which is very far from chest pumping and crazy dune bashing. Most members are family people who would like to have a drive in the weekend to break the routine. No crazy daring stuff, no ego tests and definitely no compromise or jeopardy when it comes to safety. Based on what I am reading, and mind you I am not part of the crew nor support nor experts and most probably it is not my place to ask this,

but are you sure you are in the right club?

Most, if not all members, are not here for pissing contests. This is not Carnity’s profile. This is an inclusive club, based on a family concept with a golden rule of safety first. 

I did not mentioned it, because no one was asking, but you are right. My absolutely successful and much loved journey in Carnity came to end long time back. I am appearing in very specific posts only when somebody tagging me, and probably because my yearly subscription still valid. I am happy to join discussion if i see it might be interesting for me, and always ready to offer my support and share experience with anyone need it. Would be happy in the future to join some gathering events to meet friends and talk about cars. But in terms of driving i crossed already any possible at Carnity level by driving in other clubs.

38 minutes ago, Pavel Pashkovskiy said:

I did not mentioned it, because no one was asking, but you are right. My absolutely successful and much loved journey in Carnity came to end long time back. I am appearing in very specific posts only when somebody tagging me, and probably because my yearly subscription still valid. I am happy to join discussion if i see it might be interesting for me, and always ready to offer my support and share experience with anyone need it. Would be happy in the future to join some gathering events to meet friends and talk about cars. But in terms of driving i crossed already any possible at Carnity level by driving in other clubs.

Thanks for the respectful answer. All the best in your journey.

• 3 weeks later...

Reviving this out of genuine curiosity.

Has any of Wrangler owner ditched BF Goodrich and switched to lighter AT tires like Geolandars or LTX force?

• BFG weighs 30 - 35 kgs
  • Geolanders: 18 kgs
  • LTX Force: 19 kgs

If anyone has done that, you might not need 4L for hill climb as bigger and heavier tires are counter-productive for sand dune - long hill climb.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

34 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Has any of Wrangler owner ditched BF Goodrich and switched to lighter AT tires like Geolandars or LTX force?

• BFG weighs 30 - 35 kgs

If anyone has done that, you might not need 4L for hill climb as bigger and heavier tires are counter-productive for sand dune - long hill climb.

Used kumho 285*70/R17 on my JL 2 door rubicon, climbed the tall dunes like Nagra and Mohd Ali Dune on 4h auto in 2ng gear with ease, my sweet spot is 9psi..Recenlty upgraded to cooper At3 which is tad lighter than kumho and feels overall improvement in grip and control. 

• Well Done (+2) 1

No way for me, both look too much like car tires, also 315/70r17 (35inch) BFG KO2 are 29kg and Goelander are 27kg so it’s very marginal to sacrifice the chunky grip which would give more traction in any case. 
BFG are actually one of the lighter tires in their class like for like on size 

the Michelin doesn’t come in 315 as far as I can see 

• Like (+1) 1

Switched to Geolanders LT tires same as @Bravoecho 

Still on stock rim’s so the max size I could fit was LT285/70 R17 weight is about 24kg and I find they like being around 9psi .

Geolander specs

I noticed a huge difference in performance but that was compared to BF Goodrich mud terrains. 

• Well Done (+2) 1

20 hours ago, Gaurav said:

• BFG weighs 30 - 35 kgs

Hi @Gaurav , Julius (the Red Wrangler in my DCT team) did that and sent me his comparison of tires table below. He switched to Cooper AT3 4S (19.5kg per tyre) 285/70/17 for 5 years and still drove in 4L. Recently before DCT he switched to Geolandar P-rated (20.4 kg) 285/70/17 and again still drove in 4L. Told me the reason was "more controlled" but I'm also guessing habits don't change easy :D   With @Naveen Raj confirming he drove in 4H 2nd gear, this confirms both 4L and 4H can climb Nagra (last minutes in https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cy5P6SaJU9s/ ) , so it doesn't matter 4Lo or 4Hi as long as you're confident you can make it :D 

tires-comparison.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

4 hours ago, Zed said:

Hi @Gaurav , Julius (the Red Wrangler in my DCT team) did that and sent me his comparison of tires table below. He switched to Cooper AT3 4S (19.5kg per tyre) 285/70/17 for 5 years and still drove in 4L. Recently before DCT he switched to Geolandar P-rated (20.4 kg) 285/70/17 and again still drove in 4L. Told me the reason was "more controlled" but I'm also guessing habits don't change easy :D   With @Naveen Raj confirming he drove in 4H 2nd gear, this confirms both 4L and 4H can climb Nagra (last minutes in https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cy5P6SaJU9s/ ) , so it doesn't matter 4Lo or 4Hi as long as you're confident you can make it :D 

tires-comparison.jpg

For rubicon the speed is limited to 45kmph in 4L as the chances of breaking the transfer case is high on high speeds due to 4:1 ratio, it's basically a rock crawler. The sport and Sahara trims  can go upto 85kmph in 4L and those who drive in 4L says they feel more  confident due to better  control and  instant torque delivery when needed. Those who drive rubicon in 4L at extreme level have  their transfer case changed to  2.71:1 or they choose to drive in 4H if its the stock one. 

15 minutes ago, Naveen Raj said:

For rubicon the speed is limited to 45kmph in 4L as the chances of breaking the transfer case is high on high speeds due to 4:1 ratio, it's basically a rock crawler. The sport and Sahara trims  can go upto 85kmph in 4L and those who drive in 4L says they feel more  confident due to better  control and  instant torque delivery when needed. Those who drive rubicon in 4L at extreme level have  their transfer case changed to  2.71:1 or they choose to drive in 4H if its the stock one. 

I used 4L on my Rubicon in Sweihan the other day, I got up to about 45/50 kmh, however I am nervous to do this too much as I understand it puts a lot of stress on the car.  Can the transfer case / gear ratio be changed cheaply.