How to Fix Your Camel Compressor

Frederic

4 minutes ago, Chaitanya D said:

Dobinson offers 1 year warranty whereas meanmother offers 5year warranty.( for similar flow rates of 160L/min). Both inflate pretty much in same time.

With repeated used it boils to warranty which helps to claim your repair of replacements.

But all said and done there are some basic rules to extend your compressor life

1. Use in a clean flat area if using a removable one 

2. Give small breaks for the compressor to cool down between inflating tires - especially in summer when outside temperatures are soaring. Another alternative to try during summer months is inflating till 25psi so that the car is drivable and top it at a near by petrol station.

3. Keep hose pipes straight especially near the attachment to compressor 

4. Do all this and "pray" it lasts as much as it can if it is a Camel one from the dragon mart.🤣🤣 Some lucky members have used it for many years here without any problems 

Thank you @Frederic and @Chaitanya D .. the mean mother compressors are hopefully coming back in stock by the end of the month so will definitely consider that option.  I do like the idea of having a tank (Dobinsons) even though it’s small, as I want to use it to clean out the engine bay and filter etc.. at the garages they do a good job when cleaning however having the option to do that at home is nice.  

great tips on extending the life/keeping the compressor in good health.  I have a built in compressor which feels under powered (NSV unit fitted by Toyota hitting a whopping 50ish LT/sec) especially after the advice on the previous thread which highlighted the importance of the compressor for safety (pop outs etc).  So this purchase is to be the regular use unit keeping the built in one for a backup.

@Frederic I saw a little hack for the switch where they rolled up a small balloon and wrapped around the switch... kept all the dust/sand out like a dream!  

• Like (+1) 3

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting the "Mean Mother" compressor as it finally arrived back in stock.  735 AED 

@Chaitanya D your point about giving the compressor a break - i plan to use the Indeflate 4 hose setup to inflate all 4 tires at the same time... will share my experience after this weekend.... it breaks the guidance however still stays within the Duty cycle.  

I did a test run with the built in compressor (NSV) and all 4 tires from 14PSI-33PSI ... it took near 20mins with the current set up and the ends of the hose was very hot.  This weekend, considering the advice above, i will inflate all 4 tires at once using the Mean Mother and rather than rolling the hoses up, just lay them flat in the trunk for the drive home to cool and not risk cracking. 

thanks for all the tips.... the 5 year warranty was the swinger for me to choose Mean Mother over the Dobinsons (Though i am sad i don't have a little tank to aid cleaning the air filter as the force straight from the compressor is a little weak) 

Edited by Niki Patel
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Niki Patel said:

I ended up getting the "Mean Mother" compressor as it finally arrived back in stock.  735 AED 

@Chaitanya D your point about giving the compressor a break - i plan to use the Indeflate 4 hose setup to inflate all 4 tires at the same time... will share my experience after this weekend.... it breaks the guidance however still stays within the Duty cycle.  

I did a test run with the built in compressor (NSV) and all 4 tires from 14PSI-33PSI ... it took near 20mins with the current set up and the ends of the hose was very hot.  This weekend, considering the advice above, i will inflate all 4 tires at once using the Mean Mother and rather than rolling the hoses up, just lay them flat in the trunk for the drive home to cool and not risk cracking. 

thanks for all the tips.... the 5 year warranty was the swinger for me to choose Mean Mother over the Dobinsons (Though i am sad i don't have a little tank to aid cleaning the air filter as the force straight from the compressor is a little weak) 

Good point about leaving the hoses flat in the trunk to let them cool down. Cleaning the air filter can be done by removing it and slightly "tapping" it on the floor, you will see most of the sand will easily fall out. 

The 5 year warranty is a great thing and i considered a MM too, but as i am seriously impressed with the Camel brand single big piston model (160lpm) We've been using now for the third year (only replaced the hose once:60 AED), i went and bought another one yesterday for 250 AED. Fingers crossed and hope this one will be as good as my first Camel compressor.

• Like (+1) 4

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@topgear the setup is called Indeflate (South African company).  If you go their actual site you will find their official UAE/Dubai distributor (we not able to name garages here).

https://www.indeflate.co.za/retailers.html

A lot of the usual 4*4 shops are now selling them also... try the official dealer first as they have really good after sales if needed. 

there are a ton of firms making similar now however this was almost the same price as the independent made ones and highly reviewed ... just under 800aed if I remember.  

Some great videos online to make your own however I found once you add all the parts up and the mistakes I would make the cost difference is minimal.  

Edited by Niki Patel
  • Like (+1) 3

Important Information

Terms of use