COVID19 Compliant - Evening Fewbie Short Desert Drive - Murquab - Dubai - 8 Feb 2021

Foxtrot Oscar

34 minutes ago, Hisham Masaad said:

Thank you @Thomas Varghese, nice ones

As everybody were experienced drivers and the convoy was never stopping and kept going on and on except towards the end of the drive at almost darkness I didn't get much chance to shoot more pictures. 😪. Somebody should get stuck sometimes to give time to photographers like me to take some pictures. 😅

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Thomas Varghese said:

As everybody were experienced drivers and the convoy was never stopping and kept going on and on except towards the end of the drive at almost darkness I didn't get much chance to shoot more pictures. 😪. Somebody should get stuck sometimes to give time to photographers like me to take some pictures. 😅

Will ask for more stuck next time @Thomas Varghese for you to take more photos 😅

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Drive report

As we gathered around the dirt track everyone deflated promptly and we headed out into the dunes following the little track for part of the way and finding our desert wheels. As we reached the dunes, we had an opportunity to do some gentle side sloping and we also had the chance to discuss the nuances of ridge riding and side sloping.

With everyone coping well I decided to up the ante and we found some nice dunes that challenged everyone. We also had @Junaid120120 join us after arriving a little late he had the gumption to find his way to us.. The convoy was all coping well @Jack Thomas handled his F150 extremely well as did @Jon M in his Montero. @AlexPol powered his wrangler up everything with no issues and @Hisham Masaad and @Thomas Varghese were not to be outdone and followed suit. Well done all of you, some really nice driving on display. We had a couple of refusals during this part of the drive but nothing major.

As we crossed the sabka to Solar Park we were treated to the sight of locals training their falcons. I’m always mesmerised by this no matter how often I see it. We took the track for a little while before heading into to the pristine sands of Solar Park. There were some lovely low and carved ridges which were the ideal training ground for ridge riding. One by one the convoy came across, two wheels at either side, controlling their momentum and steering. It was great to see. Well done guys.

As the sun was setting the wide-open dunes of Solar Park called us on to them, and so we continued. @Ammar Naji had a couple of cracking crests which we managed to dig him out of and we got the rope out too. This was a great learning experience; the art of self-recovery is very very important when we drive in the desert. You took a little convincing Ammar  but with a few helpers digging in the correct place we managed to get you down off that crest.

The delays meant we lost the light and our convoy had the pleasure of a little night drive, we weren’t far from the sabka , but we still had some dunes to get through.  When driving at night it is very important to stay close to the car in front so that you don’t lose the track. You’ll remember next time 😉

Thanks to @Tamas Hoffmann for the second lead. @Lucky sAm I’m glad your son got to experience an OR drive and of course to @Chaitanya D for his support.

These evening drives are proving to be very popular. We must do it again 😉 Until our next adventure.

Edited by Foxtrot Oscar
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 3

Important Information

Terms of use