•  

Type Of Floor Jack For Lifted Cars?

On 3/25/2021 at 8:20 AM, Srikumar said:

The best jacking point for any vehicle is by lifting the lower control arm. If you recollect when we had the popout on the Shuwaib Drive, we used a JZX jack and lifted your car from the lower control arm.

The space from the ground to the lower control arm only increases with bigger tyre size. So if you go from a stock 31 inch tyre to 33 inch tyre, this space actually increases by half the difference in diameter change, which in this case is 0.5 x 2 inch = 1 inch. 

Also the lower control arm is positioned below the centre line of the tyre.

Hope this answers your query.

Sorry to correct you Sri but jacking a car up by the lower arm is one of the most dangerous things you can do. Not only are you lifting the car but you are preloading the suspension. If the jack slips, the car will fall and the suspension will unload with explosive effect. The only safe place to jack a car is on a solid point such as the original jacking points, the chassis rail or the subframe. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • WOW (+2) 1

Looks that the JZX is better has a low profile. Quality wise don't really know, but all are made im china anyway. AOR though is good in copying everything in the market😃

• Like (+1) 4

On 3/28/2021 at 8:21 PM, Barry said:

Sorry to correct you Sri but jacking a car up by the lower arm is one of the most dangerous things you can do. Not only are you lifting the car but you are preloading the suspension. If the jack slips, the car will fall and the suspension will unload with explosive effect. The only safe place to jack a car is on a solid point such as the original jacking points, the chassis rail or the subframe. 

What @Srikumar mentioned here is the end of lower control arm that goes in sub-frame and not under the spring. When we have a tire pop out we cannot place Jack under the spring as tire is fully flat and expanded.

Sub-frame is fully rated jacking point (please confirm), center to lift the whole car or left and right to lift one side. We prefer one side to put less stress on 2-ton jack within 50% of jack limit (to be safe).

Just out of my mechanical curiosity, how will spring explode if jack fails? Isn't spring is seated behind the wheel hub and axle and secured from 3-4 points? I rem seeing guy changing my Pajero rear spring last year and he took good 30 minutes of unbolting all around to get spring out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 1:31 AM, Gaurav said:

What @Srikumar mentioned here is the end of lower control arm that goes in sub-frame and not under the spring. When we have a tire pop out we cannot place Jack under the spring as tire is fully flat and expanded.

Sub-frame is fully rated jacking point (please confirm), center to lift the whole car or left and right to lift one side. We prefer one side to put less stress on 2-ton jack within 50% of jack limit (to be safe).

Just out of my mechanical curiosity, how will spring explode if jack fails? Isn't spring is seated behind the wheel hub and axle and secured from 3-4 points? I rem seeing guy changing my Pajero rear spring last year and he took good 30 minutes of unbolting all around to get spring out.

The spring won’t explode. What I mean is it will explosively decompress. 

The simplest way to explain, take the spring out of your pen and squeeze it between your finger and thumb. Now remove your finger and the spring will shoot across the room. 

If you jack the car up at the lower arm and compress the spring and the jack slips, the spring will push the hub down with enough force to chop your hand off. 

Coil springs are dangerous things if you don’t know what you are doing. I know garages in Dubai that won’t even change a spring in a McPherson strut, they send it out to a machine shop to get done instead. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/15/2021 at 12:29 PM, Goutam said:

Where can get the wooden jack board? 

Possibly from any Timber store/factory in an industrial area. I found one in Umm Ramool, Dubai. Apparently they had spare cutouts that were meant to be thrown as waste, so I got myself a decent sized board out of those cutouts.

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use