•  
Advertise here

FJ Cruiser vs Pajero vs Wrangler vs Xterra - which one is better for my use?

samamara

14 hours ago, Srikumar said:

the ultimate offroader...

...is actually the Nissan Patrol Y61 (SWB or LWB). :) 

Reality is, the ultimate off roader car is that one you feel most comfortable in.   Without a doubt all makes and models discussed here are capable of handling the terrains in UAE.

Apart from test drive different models, do a search for "uae overland photography" and you may get some results that inspire you.

All the best in your quest!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

2 minutes ago, PaoloMaraziti said:

a roofless wrangler then is the way to go from that standpoint... 

And with no windscreen...now I just need someone to drive it for me always so I can be ready. But, part of my passion is also the drive, so maybe I can get the best of both worlds 😍!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

@samamara on a very serious note, why don't you literally write down first your full requirements and then put a percentage wise need of those requirements. What I mean to say that initially you needed a powerful 4x4 that can go further than your 3.5 Jero, then you added 4 passengers, then they become 4 photographer who would need window access, and now camping.

So now you also need to factor ton of camping and advance photographer gear space in the boot and I'm seeing if this is your ultimate requirement then you would need LWB Patrol or Land Cruiser (I think). No Xterra, JL, Pajero boot can through with all camping and photographer gears.

I know I may sound fussy here, but every little detail in you car shopping requirement keep changing the final outcome and you might make a wrong purchase eventually.

And what I mean with percentage wise if you use 70% on-road, 25% off-road and 5% with 4 photographers then ask your yourself if its worth sacrificing power weight, nimble 4x4 that can take you lot higher than  ULTRA-LWB people carrier. If its other way around go with your choice.

Why I'm mentioning this, because many people came here before to buy overlander for once in a lifetime trip they want to plan and end up buying xterra and then rubicon. Fast forward if people can foresee things ahead of time, they can make a better decision and be more happy with the final outcome - "much sooner".

Similarly many of my friends made a mistake of buying LWB 4x4 as they are expecting their parents in town and want to take them off-road. After a month, they have gone and he is still stuck with LWB that is def not a climber. He could have simply rented a LWB for a month or a week when wish to take them off-road.

So you need to list all your requirement first and then put an honest percentage to really make a logical decision than any brand affinity of people saying "my car" is the best.

Think it hard, think it through for at least 5-10 years of possible and probable requirements first, then add the percentage.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 6

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

25 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

@samamara on a very serious note, why don't you literally write down first your full requirements and then put a percentage wise need of those requirements. What I mean to say that initially you needed a powerful 4x4 that can go further than your 3.5 Jero, then you added 4 passengers, then they become 4 photographer who would need window access, and now camping.

So now you also need to factor ton of camping and advance photographer gear space in the boot and I'm seeing if this is your ultimate requirement then you would need LWB Patrol or Land Cruiser (I think). No Xterra, JL, Pajero boot can through with all camping and photographer gears.

I know I may sound fussy here, but every little detail in you car shopping requirement keep changing the final outcome and you might make a wrong purchase eventually.

And what I mean with percentage wise if you use 70% on-road, 25% off-road and 5% with 4 photographers then ask your yourself if its worth sacrificing power weight, nimble 4x4 that can take you lot higher than  ULTRA-LWB people carrier. If its other way around go with your choice.

Why I'm mentioning this, because many people came here before to buy overlander for once in a lifetime trip they want to plan and end up buying xterra and then rubicon. Fast forward if people can foresee things ahead of time, they can make a better decision and be more happy with the final outcome - "much sooner".

Similarly many of my friends made a mistake of buying LWB 4x4 as they are expecting their parents in town and want to take them off-road. After a month, they have gone and he is still stuck with LWB that is def not a climber. He could have simply rented a LWB for a month or a week when wish to take them off-road.

So you need to list all your requirement first and then put an honest percentage to really make a logical decision than any brand affinity of people saying "my car" is the best.

Think it hard, think it through for at least 5-10 years of possible and probable requirements first, then add the percentage.

@Gaurav - that is very sound advice, thank you ❤️ 🙏🏼. It's true, beyond all of the advice here - which has been great - I need to think of my specific needs. I will say, though, that the Pajero trunk/back/boot has been stellar for all of my camping needs even when I have people with me and we take a lot of gear. The backseat is usually reserved for photography gear and guests (which is why the FJ just can't work really, but enough on that I think. You're absolutely right...I need to weigh not only what I need but the priorities and now that I am armed with all of this information I think I need to take a few of the options out for a test drive, see how they actually are on the inside for space and options, and then go from there. All of this, though, really has ensured that the decision I make will be much more well-informed, which is always a good thing. Thanks to you and all 😊🙏🏼

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

20 hours ago, samamara said:

Now I'm confused @Hisham Masaad - are you saying the back seat windows in the FJ cruiser do open? @Nikimentioned the rear windows do not open and what I've read online is the same 🤔.

The rear door window opens. The rear passengers' windows do not open.

My rear passengers said FJ is good because it shield them from the blazing hot sun of UAE.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1