Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Nahel - Abu Dhabi - 11 Feb 2023

JeromeFJ

Thank you @JeromeFJ  it was an absolutely amazing drive and perfectly executed leading in the desert as usual :) 

it was really beautiful drive riding the crests. Everyone drove absolutely amazing we had a few refusals along the way but nothing our support team couldn’t handle. 

thanks everyone for the amazing drive have a good weekend 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@JeromeFJ thank you for a really great drive in a new area for me too. 

Great variation in dunes and inspiring landscape. Some really nice climbs up Nagrah.

thanks for the recovery, when i crested on probably the smallest dune of the entire trip .. 😂 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Gary F said:

thanks for the recovery, when i crested on probably the smallest dune of the entire trip .. 😂 

@Gary F that is normal during lunch time 😅

• Like (+1) 2

Indeed @Ishak a momentary lapses of concentration and then the disbelief that this is the ridge that foiled my momentum.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/11/2023 at 5:00 PM, JeromeFJ said:

Thank you all for joining the drive this morning. We had excellent weather and sand conditions, .... and the drive was beautiful. Almost virgin dunes for the first portion, just off Nahel, starting smooth, but presenting nice sharp ridges, and gradually increasing to higher dunes and bigger bowls. Perfect for a warm-up and for practicing ridge riding and criss-crossing.  Then a more technical portion, until we reached a track leading to the camel farms in the sabkha. 

At this point we were facing the massive dune of Nagrah. These slopes are always impressive, and we could test the power and capabilities of our cars (and us drivers) with several high climbs. Then it was time reach to the exit, and with a convoy now fully awake, and released from the initial apprehensions, it was a fluid 40min run, just enjoying the rolling dunes. 

Overall excellent level for this FB drive where we have driven more than 75 km. A few recoveries with shovels, 2 of them a bit more impressive, @premindra rajaram on a crest with a rear wheel high in the air, and @Bravoecho stuck above a bowl at a very steep angle. For the latter I've preferred to anchor the car from the top before starting the actual recovery, just to be sure that the car remains on the safe side !

@Benjamin, thank you for the 2nd lead, perfectly executed. Excellent control of your car as usual. 

@Ishak, the confidence is coming, and your driving was more fluid at the end of the drive. Good job take the Pajero on top of high climbs. 

@Bravoecho, @Bashar Beasha keep watching the moment where you loose your momentum and need to turn down on a climb. With practice, you will get more confident. It was already improving by the end of the drive. 

@premindra rajaram, try to avoid hesitations, that lead to your car being stuck in insecure positions. Confidence will come with more drives also. 

@Jaro Tuzinsky, thank you for the support, and re-aligning the convoy when needed

@Gary F, @Pascal, @Bjoern excellent control of your car in almost every situation, you area really comfortable at this level, congratulations 

Finally @Chris Wing, always a pleasure to have you in the drive. Big thank you for the sweep and support. 

Don't hesitate to post your photos and/or feedback of the drive. See you in a next drive !

Thank you @JeromeFJ for introducing me to this area of the UAE and I agree it is truly stunning to drive through these dunes.

Also greatly appreciate the help and support of you and @Chris Wingfor the recovery. It certainly was a uncomfortable position to be in and we achieved the best outcome.

I agree with your comments about momentum going up dunes and that by the end of the drive there was a improvement. As it was my third drive since buying the Y61 the learning curve has been steep but enjoyable going from a IFS to solid axle as they handle completely differently. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use