•  

Does your Stock car have : "Kill Switch / Turn off Airbags etc." - feature ? if yes Please contribute to this thread.

DP1011

For academic interest and mutual learning on the imp feature of Kill Switch  or Airbags Turn off button : I seek inputs from all the fellow off-roaders : ( please respond to the thread only when the answer is YES to  - Do you have Kill switch / Airbags turn off button in your car?  If not, and you have specific comment to educate the community members, please feel free to comment or add useful links )

Guys your contribution will help and the end result I am aiming is to have compiled list of cars which do have default Kill Switch/Airbags turn off button etc. and where to locate, plus in addition  any other specifics you take care of before off-roading ( Fr eg : Jeep guys press Traction off button for 7 seconds, that helps to disable ESC )

Can you please hence in below format add with your contributions : ( If you see already your car model is replied by someone, please put a like / totally agree, so we avoid having multiple responses for same models.)

Car mode :  Jeep Wrangler 2021 - Rubicon

kill Switch Button  ( if yes, where to locate) - NO

Airbags turn off  button (if yes where to locate)  : NO

Other comments  : Before every drive, Press the traction control off button for 7 seconds, which helps to turn off ESC (Electronic Stability Control ). When you engage 4L, the ESC is enabled again, so repeat the step when you shift to 4H, to turn off both Traction & ESC.

Looking forward to your contributions !  As someone rightly said "Let's root for each other & watch each other grow." :) 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Car mode :  pajero 3.8 lwb - 2020

kill Switch Button  ( if yes, where to locate) - yes below steering wheel

Airbags turn off  button (if yes where to locate)  : NO

Other comment

the stock kill switch doesn't kill ABS (only disableS ASC) which is super annoying and needs to be reapplied after engine restart.

installed custom switch in a gang panel to disable the ASC - ABS - TRACTION. stays off between engine restarts.

Edited by PETELCZYC PAJERO - luke
Deleted
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Car mode: Jeep wrangler 2018 sport 

kill switch button : no 

airbags turn off button : no 

other comment: in my jeep and like many others the owners manual suggests not to turn off airbags when off-roading because we don’t have side airbags (2023-2024 models might have to turn them off tho) 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Hello @DP1011

Car model: Nissan Patrol Y61 

kill Switch Button  ( if yes, where to locate) - Yes, panel next to gear shift

Airbags turn off  button (if yes where to locate)  : No, I remove the air-bag fuse.

Other comments  : I also disconnect the traction control, which Nissan calls VDC, which you need to repeat if (a) car engine is switched off, or you have shifted from 4L to 4H.  The air-bag fuse is disconnected as the system might be triggered by a sudden fall or bumping into “sand-step” with force.

Edited by Mario Cornejo
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Car model: Nissan Patrol Y61 Safari 2021

Kill Switch Button:  No

Traction Off Button:  Yes, on the center console

VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) Off Button: Can be disabled by pushing the switch nearby the brake pedal.

Airbags turn off button (if yes where to locate)  : No, i remove the fuse on higer level drives.

Other comments : Traction Off and VDC off will need to be repeated when restarting the vehicle or going from 4L back to 4H

• Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

3 minutes ago, DP1011 said:

Thanks @Frederic, I see @Mario Cornejo with same model 2021, but he says Kill switch yes? Is it bcos its SWB? or am reading it incorrectly - Thanks for this.

Hi @DP1011 - my understanding is that a Kill Switch is not stock for most cars, and therefore must be installed. What you need to make sure is that you select a place (garage, shop, etc) with someone with good knowledge, or be present as they do it and ask the right questions.  It is easy to mess this up or have a low quality installation that might pose a hazard, this is valid for all cars.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

13 minutes ago, Mario Cornejo said:

Hi @DP1011 - my understanding is that a Kill Switch is not stock for most cars, and therefore must be installed. What you need to make sure is that you select a place (garage, shop, etc) with someone with good knowledge, or be present as they do it and ask the right questions.  It is easy to mess this up or have a low quality installation that might pose a hazard, this is valid for all cars.

@DP1011@Mario Cornejo

Correct, i installed a kill switch initially under the bonnet itself, but later removed it again and put everything stock. So i just use the regular "Traction Off" button on the center console, and the VDC disable hack next to brake pedal.

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Car mode:  Jeep Wrangler 2019 - 2 Door Sport

kill Switch Button (if yes, where to locate) - Soft Kill Switch with Tazer JL

Airbags turn off button (if yes where to locate): NO

Other comments: This device get plugged into the SGW connectors. It can be used to make some changes to the car such as Tire Size change, changes to system if you have changed headlights or changed the head unit etc. This can also be left in the car connected that lends a lot of "Live Functions". One of them particularly useful is the "TC Kill" – turn off traction control, stability control and ABS.

• Like (+1) 3

don't drive like its your last one.

Car model: Nissan Xterra Offroad

kill Switch Button  ( if yes, where to locate) - Doesn't come as stock. Aftermarket switch added below the dash

Airbags turn off  button (if yes where to locate)  : No, No side airbags.

Other comments  : Some of the newer models (post 2012) came with a traction off button. Long press disables traction. However, i heard that it doesn't turn off traction 100% so we still need a kill switch. One kill switch deactivates both ABS and traction.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use