•  

Morning Newbie Desert Drive - Lisalli - Dubai - 16 Dec 2023

Davie Chase

Thankyou @Davie Chase and everyone else for an amazing drive. There is a lot to learn from today's drive and I believe there is still a long way to go. As a newbie and getting into a first ever drive with a convoy and carnity there was a lot of fear in the start but the welcoming and supportive structure of the whole convoy made it pretty comfortable. 

I want to specially thanks @Rafey Hashmi for giving me enough confidence off the sand and helping me join carnity and prepare for the first drive.

Some of the things I want to share about today's drive:

1. Fear of having a popout has gone down. Never thought that we can actually manage popouts in the middle of the desert. 

2. I believe replacing the front stock bumper with an off-road one and a skid plate is essential for nissan patrol. So that we have less broken parts in future to collect on our way 😅

3. Managing a perfect momentum can be tricky when you have a lot of torque. At this stage too much gas is difficult to manage and too less is not enough to be in a perfect momentum. I believe this will get better with time.

Looking forward to having a lot more fun and learning with carnity drives.

Cheers

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 3

Hi @Dylan7 I just got some time today to share my views on Cayenne as a long-time offroader plus a Cayenne SS Turbo owner who has tested it in the sand, a long time back.

Fredy has covered a lot of fair points for you to consider and remember too.

Porsche's solid strength is its 4-wheel drive system which has made win a lot of races on track and in the desert. They designed and developed 4x4 system to propel all wheels with variable forces so that none of the wheels spin, but push the car fwd all the time. In short, Porsche believes that if you are spinning or doing donuts you are wasting energy.

Due to the above reason, when I tested my Cayenne in sand it was not a very pleasant experience. I wanted to feel the 450 hp magic on sand and it always slowed down on the side slope to an extent making me stuck, that I needed to reverse down. The main reason is Cayenne we get here is great for road, and extracting 450 hp for road use is very effective. On the sand, I experienced big interference from electronics (ofc after disabling TC) and felt something was still holding the car all the time. The second letdown was (maybe due to turbo lag), it delivers power 1 or 2 seconds late and in offroading when you are negotiating a big climb, you need instant power without any delay. After every major climb reaching to 70% high it dropped revs and then 1 second later roared back, but it was too late that I again needed to reverse, as when you start off-roading, you will understand this part more clearly.

If you really wanna try out your Cayenne and are open to exploring, I would suggest researching Transsyberia trim and finding out what ECU tune-up or electronic control disabling they have done to tune Cayenne fit for sand. Once you nail that part down, then surely do whatever Fred said, you can pursue and spend money further for AT high profile tires, front and rear skid plate, and also a secure lot of plastic underbody trim properly, so your car doesn't shed pieces on every drive, like the one on the video you shared.

Also, do check if your Cayenne model has TSB (kind of recall) for replacing the plastic coolant pipe running through the engine exterior that started leaking in GCC heat. Even if it's an old TSB, the dealership should fix that FOC.

image.png 

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

23 hours ago, Davie Chase said:

Dear desert wanderers @Frederic @Abdullah Nasim1 @W a q a r @Rafey Hashmi @Faraz94 @karim hamandi @Mahesh_ @Bhaskar @Julien Recan @Gagandeep @Haneef Thayyil @Imran Asghar and @Aser 

Thank you all for sharing in my inaugural newbie drive, it was a pleasure to lead you all through the beautiful sand of Lisalli. Great driving by one and all, great camaraderie, and we were treated to a rather large Camel caravan as it passed in front of us.

Each and every one of you drove sensationally well making our jobs so much easier, we had a couple of refusals but no real stucks that I can remember. we did encounter a couple of pop outs, and strangely enough both at the same time, who would have thought.

A special shout out to @Abdullah Nasim1 and @Gagandeep on your absolute newbie drive. I really do hope you gained some confidence from this drive and that we did not scare you too much, moreover, we really do hope to see you again in the sand very soon.

A big thank you to our sweep @W a q a r you did an amazing job my friend keeping me well informed every step of the way, so thanks it was a comforting knowing you were back there keeping the tail end of the convoy safe.

A big thank you to our center forward @Imran Asghar, you did an amazing job as always, your calm demeaner and professionalism as you swoop into action is second to none. Loved the electric jack and glad you got to play with your new toy not once but twice :)

And last but not least a huge thankyou to @Frederic for being my second lead. Always a pleasure to have you sign off on my milestones, as it all started with the first one of a master class way back in 2021 when I first met you. It has been a journey my friend and a very pleasant one learning my craft from your good self and all the other Marshals and support team members @Carnity thank you one and all.

I hope each and everyone of you have a fantastic rest of your weekend and that we get to see you al again very soon out in the sand pits of the UAE :)

Thank you so much for leading us @Davie Chase and @Frederic and helping me with the necessary equipment (off-road flag, tyre inflator, radio). I was a bit nervous in the beginning since I have never ventured into the desert while being on the driver seat (being the first one after the leads also added some pressure :P ). But it was so much of fun and learning to be honest. 

I got to learn so much in this drive. I never knew what a pop-out was and definitely didn't know how to fix it. Having observed such challenges made me realised that experiences and learning are as much a part of the drive as the thrill of driving itself.

Being an absolute newbie, I was expecting myself to make some mistakes to be honest, and I lived up to my expectations, lol. But I feel good about the learnings more than feeling bad about the damage that I may have done to my car. And I believe it was necessary to learn this in the beginning of my journey, as making these mistakes would have costed me much more if I made them in more intense drives.

Thank you @Imran Asghar and @W a q a r for managing the convoy from behind. The drive would not have been this smooth without your support. And thanks to the @Carnity community for organizing this!

Looking forward to more such drives! We should take more photos with the group next time :) 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Don't forget to upload any photos you took in the following gallery:

Newbie - Lisalli - Dubai - 16 Dec 2023 - Carnity.com

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

On 12/16/2023 at 11:47 PM, Gaurav said:

Hi @Dylan7 I just got some time today to share my views on Cayenne as a long-time offroader plus a Cayenne SS Turbo owner who has tested it in the sand, a long time back.

Fredy has covered a lot of fair points for you to consider and remember too.

Porsche's solid strength is its 4-wheel drive system which has made win a lot of races on track and in the desert. They designed and developed 4x4 system to propel all wheels with variable forces so that none of the wheels spin, but push the car fwd all the time. In short, Porsche believes that if you are spinning or doing donuts you are wasting energy.

Due to the above reason, when I tested my Cayenne in sand it was not a very pleasant experience. I wanted to feel the 450 hp magic on sand and it always slowed down on the side slope to an extent making me stuck, that I needed to reverse down. The main reason is Cayenne we get here is great for road, and extracting 450 hp for road use is very effective. On the sand, I experienced big interference from electronics (ofc after disabling TC) and felt something was still holding the car all the time. The second letdown was (maybe due to turbo lag), it delivers power 1 or 2 seconds late and in offroading when you are negotiating a big climb, you need instant power without any delay. After every major climb reaching to 70% high it dropped revs and then 1 second later roared back, but it was too late that I again needed to reverse, as when you start off-roading, you will understand this part more clearly.

If you really wanna try out your Cayenne and are open to exploring, I would suggest researching Transsyberia trim and finding out what ECU tune-up or electronic control disabling they have done to tune Cayenne fit for sand. Once you nail that part down, then surely do whatever Fred said, you can pursue and spend money further for AT high profile tires, front and rear skid plate, and also a secure lot of plastic underbody trim properly, so your car doesn't shed pieces on every drive, like the one on the video you shared.

Also, do check if your Cayenne model has TSB (kind of recall) for replacing the plastic coolant pipe running through the engine exterior that started leaking in GCC heat. Even if it's an old TSB, the dealership should fix that FOC.

image.png 

Hi @Gaurav  Thanks for your reply.  Very professional. Thanks for help me to understand my car’s ability. 

Important Information

Terms of use