COVID19 Compliant - Night Newbie Desert Drive - Murquab - Dubai - 29 Apr 2021

Wrangeld

1 hour ago, Thomas Varghese said:

Hi Richard @Wrangeld if you can include me in this drive I will excuse myself from another drive I have waitlisted on Friday morning. 

You're in Thomas

• Thanks (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Nithin Vaidir said:

This is the biggest risk we had in some time. I think we all miss a bit of rain - but I saw an updated forecast that made it look a lot less likely that it will rain. 

17 hours ago, MUHAMMAD Kashif RAZZAQ said:

Being frankly honest, I wouldn't mind some rain 😂. Been too long since it last poured.  

We will not drive if there is torrential rain, like last time. It's too dangerous, because the sand will soak up the water very quickly and become muddy. HT tires lose traction quickly in that situation. This will only be relevant when we have big heavy rain. 

A few days after rain is perfect, because the sand will be hard packed, but straight after the rain ...

• Like (+1) 3

Desertnighters, 

@Nithin Vaidir @Ehab @MUHAMMAD Kashif RAZZAQ @Thomas Varghese @Fabiano Morais @bony raphi[ @Shaaz Sha - late addition ]

@Islam Soliman @M.Seidam 

As we are early off the block (Thursday night - not Friday) I am posting here to give a bit more idea of what to expect on Thursday night. 

Firstly, this is a newbie drive, and as such it's not going to be too fast paced or challenging but we will be able to have a fantastic convoy of inexperienced and experienced drivers. This is something I love, because it allows the newer drivers to be behind more experienced drivers, allowing them to follow very closely the tracks and hopefully give them the confidence to possibly take some challenges where they might be a bit more reluctant if they were following another less experienced driver. 

We have a lot more experienced drivers signed up than inexperienced, which is why I think this is exciting. It really means we can have a one on one session throughout the drive. 

As the more experienced may (and I repeat may, because this is not compulsory) have off road night lights it will mean that anyone worried about having only street lights can relax: For the record, I did almost all my night drives till now with street lights. 

Secondly, I think we can plan to have a long, but leisurely drive - by this I mean that even tough it will be late in the evening, if all goes well (and why should it not?) because we do not have to worry about it getting too hot, or have to worry about it getting dark we can take the time to follow the whole of the planned route to take us from Murqquab all the way into Last Exit. It's definitely possible if we keep things simple (which I intend to) and we all keep focused throughout the drive. 

Please bring coffee and snacks with you. Driving in the night is tiring and I don't want additional fatigue to impact on the drive. 

Post any questions you have here. 

See you soon in the sand.

• Like (+1) 9

Desertnighters, 

It's tonight - wow, hasn't that caught up with us quickly? 

Below is the proposed convoy numbering (if everyone turns up).  @bony raphi @MUHAMMAD Kashif RAZZAQ @Fabiano Morais @M.Seidam @Ehab @Shaaz Sha @Nithin Vaidir @Thomas Varghese @Islam Soliman

On arrival, please deflate, flag up and we will do our briefing in the vehicles so as not to disturb the residents too much or any prayers still going on at the mosque. 

image.png.a484e8c2ce84bf2ead78e9a3ebbe4b55.png

As you see, we have the wonderful privilege of there being truly experienced drivers ahead of the less experienced. Tonight, Mohamed Seidam will officially be taking on Centre Forward responsibilities under supervision of myself and Islam. 

We will give everyone time to recover from refusals if their car stops moving where it should not, and guidance will be offered to help drivers to 'unstuck' their car themselves. If a driver is actually stuck - we will not have 8 captains on the drive. Please, it's over to Mohamed, Islam and myself to deal with the stucks. 

Night driving requires precision. It also requires the convoy to keep in close contact with each other so no-one gets lost, so the intermediates here, please treat the Newbies and Fewbies like your students. Help them by lighting the way, or showing them the route and supporting them through the night.  

COVID does not stop at night, so normal COVID rules will apply. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone later and a fun drive tonight. 

• Like (+1) 4

22 minutes ago, Wrangeld said:

Desertnighters, 

It's tonight - wow, hasn't that caught up with us quickly? 

Below is the proposed convoy numbering (if everyone turns up).  @bony raphi @MUHAMMAD Kashif RAZZAQ @Fabiano Morais @M.Seidam @Ehab @Shaaz Sha @Nithin Vaidir @Thomas Varghese @Islam Soliman

On arrival, please deflate, flag up and we will do our briefing in the vehicles so as not to disturb the residents too much or any prayers still going on at the mosque. 

image.png.a484e8c2ce84bf2ead78e9a3ebbe4b55.png

As you see, we have the wonderful privilege of there being truly experienced drivers ahead of the less experienced. Tonight, Mohamed Seidam will officially be taking on Centre Forward responsibilities under supervision of myself and Islam. 

We will give everyone time to recover from refusals if their car stops moving where it should not, and guidance will be offered to help drivers to 'unstuck' their car themselves. If a driver is actually stuck - we will not have 8 captains on the drive. Please, it's over to Mohamed, Islam and myself to deal with the stucks. 

Night driving requires precision. It also requires the convoy to keep in close contact with each other so no-one gets lost, so the intermediates here, please treat the Newbies and Fewbies like your students. Help them by lighting the way, or showing them the route and supporting them through the night.  

COVID does not stop at night, so normal COVID rules will apply. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone later and a fun drive tonight. 

Hi Richard, i am Fewbie :) 

looking forward seeing you

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Ehab said:

Hi Richard, i am Fewbie :) 

looking forward seeing you

Even better. Apologies for not seeing this. We do not work off a central database, so sometimes these errors slip in. 

• Like (+1) 4

54 minutes ago, GauravSoni said:

@Wrangeld hi Richard! Would it be possible for me to join this drive today? 

Just wanted to confirm before I rsvp as I see the slot is still open!

Yes Gaurav, despite the late RSVP you are welcome to join. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Wrangeld said:

Yes Gaurav, despite the late RSVP you are welcome to join. 

1 more friend to play with in the sands

• Like (+1) 3

Important Information

Terms of use