•  

When every second matters: 4in1 inflation/deflation kit and Apex-like precision deflating valves

Dear Desert Wanderers, 

One of the things that becomes a bit annoying as we approach the hot season is deflation / inflation: the first for afternoon drives, the latter for morning ones, as outside temperatures are getting way above 45°C and even if these activities take just a few minutes, they last long enough for anyone to be soaked in sweat.

For this reason, the quest to find the most time efficient and comfortable deflating / inflating strategies becomes a very popular one at this time of the year. 

When deflation is concerned, as almost every offroader, I have gone all the way from conventional deflator to E-Z deflator to valve stem remover, having eventually found that removing the valve stem is by far the faster and most effective solution. In recent times, however some high precision fast deflating valves (Apex, to name one brand) have been brought to my attention by the never-sleeping snoops at Google / Facebook / Amazon who kept on suggesting them so frequently that I decided to have a look. These valves incorporate a fast deflation mechanism which allows, once the cap is removed, to deflate as quickly as with a conventional valve stem remover but with the advantage of allowing easy toggling for precision adjustments and for an overall faster deflation as the time lost for removing and putting back the valve stem is eliminated, while retaining the TPMS functionality of the original stock valves, when equipped. I'd like to know more about actual user experience, beyond the enthousiastic one by @Ahab Shamaa, who, I'm sure will share his feedback in this thread. 

STD-4_1296x.jpg.d37e7209a1a0e043e40a0680343dde7c.jpg

When inflation is concerned, on the opposite, I've looked at the combined option of a) having a compressor permanently mounted in the car so I don't have to spend time and energy taking it out, opening the bonnet, connecting the wires and undoing the whole thing after use

ARBJT_2_00496615-5866-4200-b2d8-ce032bec6677@2x.jpg.2dd3557da60408ca73df466dfd7b4232.jpg

and b) using a 4in1 simultaneous inflation / pressure equalisation system with the aim, once again, of minimizing effort and time (while all 4 wheels are inflating, which in any case takes slightly less than doing so one tire at a time, one has plenty of time to do other stuff: removing the flag, chatting around, resting inside the air-conditioned car, rehydrating a bit, checking navigation stats, etc.).

41aBGIJ3L0L._AC_SY1000_.jpg.87098f2a7a5fe1a93d7d94d111b1f860.jpg

I've seen many Carnity members adopting either or both options more and I'd like to hear their opinion, starting with @Luca Palanca Falsini, a known time-optimising freak 😂😂, who recently shifted to a 4in1 inflation kit and from @Hisham Masaad who, I believe, has an on-board mounted compressor. 

Looking forward to hearing about your feedback, experiences, mistakes, dos and don't, suggestions and warnings, Desert Wanderers! 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 1

• Lorenzo Candelpergher changed the title to When every second matters: 4in1 inflation/deflation kit and Apex-like precision deflating valves

Dear @Lorenzo Candelpergher, I have here to blame and thank @Ahab Shamaafor things I made in my car. It started by recommending the Apex valves to me, which I fixed and it is really far away easier, faster and convenient than any deflating process ....Many thanks for you @Ahab Shamaa😄. Re the compressor, I fixed one in the back, and made air connections to each tire, which I connect to the tires with small hoses. As soon as I connect the hoses, I run the compressor through phone application, deciding the pressure I require. As soon as pressure required reach, alarm on the phone start. This is again has saved so much time and effort, allowing me to remove the flag and do other things, visiting other participants on the drive 😂.

Now @Ahab Shamaathe blaming part, making me paying so much, specially doing other things, which you have nothing to do, but you are the one pushed me there 🤣. But at the end, i am enjoying. Should you require @Lorenzo Candelpergher, will wait for you tomorrow morning to show you the whole process, starting deflating. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1

Have been using Apex valves since Mar. They work like a dream as @Hisham Masaad mentioned. Besides fast and easier deflation, have noticed that they help in faster inflation too. Earlier my 33" used to take about 3.5 minutes each to reach 34psi, with Apex am able to do this in about 2.20.

• Like (+1) 5

42 minutes ago, Hisham Masaad said:

Dear @Lorenzo Candelpergher, I have here to blame and thank @Ahab Shamaafor things I made in my car. It started by recommending the Apex valves to me, which I fixed and it is really far away easier, faster and convenient than any deflating process ....Many thanks for you @Ahab Shamaa😄. Re the compressor, I fixed one in the back, and made air connections to each tire, which I connect to the tires with small hoses. As soon as I connect the hoses, I run the compressor through phone application, deciding the pressure I require. As soon as pressure required reach, alarm on the phone start. This is again has saved so much time and effort, allowing me to remove the flag and do other things, visiting other participants on the drive 😂.

Now @Ahab Shamaathe blaming part, making me paying so much, specially doing other things, which you have nothing to do, but you are the one pushed me there 🤣. But at the end, i am enjoying. Should you require @Lorenzo Candelpergher, will wait for you tomorrow morning to show you the whole process, starting deflating. 

Whats the brand of this system, is it the ARB pressure control switch?

• Like (+1) 3

Welcome to my world, I lay awake at night optimising airflows and trying to work out a way to stay in the cab whilst this is all going on, whilst worrying about how to fold the hose and stop it taking over the truck, with such a long beast as the raptor, it needs a 5 metre run from the tailgate to the front, what about the tire chucks how do they stay on, what is the length of the valve and the flow difference between 3/8 pipe and 1/4, the list is endless and mind boggling. For some reason my tires have always been at 40 psi for the road. But now I think I have the solution. I haven't completed it yet, but I'm splitting the truck into left and right. There is a dual ARB on either side of the truck bed with a 1 gallon air tank and a pipe to an air manifold. That manifold has a pressure gauge if needed and a US standard (ARB) air socket, and a 1/2 inch solenoid valve (closed when no current). The valve is connected to a switch in the cab one for each side, along with a switch for each compressor. I arrive I connect one hose to each side and a push on "closed" (no air when off) chuck on each valve I return the the cab and I switch on each solenoid and monitor the air pressure via TPMS. because it is connected to two tires I can effectively balance the front an back pressures if one deflates quicker than the other. Once finished I remove the hose from each side and place each hose in a mesh bag. When I want to inflate, I attached the hose and chucks and turn on the compressors, using the TPMS to reach the desired pressure. By having two ARB dual compressors it will reduce the time by half to inflate, currently 20 mins will now be around 12 mins. Raptor tires are huge. Might be overkill for some people, but I have really enjoyed making this system and learning about airflow in parallel and in series and manifolds etc. I have seen some trucks in the USA that have four individual pressure switches and dump valves and a plumbed network of pipes with small whips to the valves, this allows them to set pressures manually for each tire for inflation and deflation, a central pressure switch that effectively is controlling four tires I have tested and found it not to work effectively. TPMS in my experience will have one tire every 15 inflations that fails to register but by holding a magnet close to the tire valve you can force a reading to update, the TPMS (as I understand) works by sending a signal every few times it rotates and meets a magnetic field somewhere in the wheel well. Now if only I can find a hydraulic arm to put my flag on and off................

IMG_6933.jpeg

image.png

IMG_6934.jpeg

• Like (+1) 4
  • WOW (+2) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 1

I should add as well, that by having the air tank I can run air tools as well, the idea being that I can run a high lift air jack to assist in pop outs on one compressor whilst having the other one with a single hose and chuck to inflate the offending tire, also there is another pipe hidden away that joins the two air tanks with a valve so if one compressor fails I can open the valve and still use the system on a single compressor. 

• Like (+1) 7

1 hour ago, Watteau said:

Now if only I can find a hydraulic arm to put my flag on and off................

We really need to make u stuck super bad in 45 degrees soon.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 8

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Important Information

Terms of use