•  
Advertise here

Nissan Xterra maximum temperature when driving in the sand

I drive without A/c, additional radiator installed in front to assist cooling and also have a hood louver vents installed still struggle with the summer heating, moved from day drives to night drives yet last week after the drive had the transmission locked (car ends up revving 3500rmp at speed of 80km). Had to stop at petrol station with bonnets one for an hr to cool down and then head back home.  Suggestions welcomed as the only way out i see is to avoid driving during peak summer months (never had these issues during winter months).

Oh I drive a 2006 automatic Jeep TJ

• Like (+1) 4

I don’t have experience how the extra stuff for the cooling system work for X terra .. I see for some it works somehow while for others it adds  little or nothing!! 

Maybe for some vehicles are prone or tend to overheat in summer time more than others and eventually all will boil approaching July and august . Therefore I believe the choice of timing of the particular event would help a lot and carnity staff are well aware and already we see lots of night drives posted nowadays . Last year due to the strict restriction / lockdown night drives were not possible .

Edited by M.Seidam
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Thomas Varghese said:

I think  we have to call it quits during day time and do drives when the temperatures drop down like stop the drives before 8.30 am or start one after 5pm. 

Most of the drives (80%-90%) are already running under same schedule to escape the heat.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

What I tend to do is, on every moment the convoy stops, open the hood.  So far I've not experienced overheating in my Patrol Y61, but have felt tempted to investigate any of the following:  extra fans and a racing thermostat (https://www.amazon.ae/Nippon-Racing-Thermostat-Nissan-TB48/dp/B07YNVLCRT

The Patrol Y61 doesn't have a digital gauge, so I just keep an eye on the needle, if it gets closer to the middle then I don't push it too much.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Lawrence_Chehimi said:

Adding electric fans in front of your radiator will definitely help. Usually what they tend to do here is adding two high flow/speed fans in which you can operate them using a switch. they make a huge difference especially to your AC cooling. They might be a bit noisy when turned on but you don't have to worry about the engine overheating. I've read that SPAL fans are one of the best.

Hi @Lawrence_Chehimi have you installed the additional electric fans on your Y62? if yes, please share the details and where i can get this done, thank you

• Like (+1) 2

For cars who doesn't have digital gauge, you can use AC cold air turning to stuffy air as a first sign.

Stock heat gauge needle has a huge blind spot and before moving a little to avoid panicking the driver, car ECU cuts off AC compressor automatically until engine temps drop.

If you car AC has a ECO mode, use that while off-roading it will create a very good balance on keeping AC cool air and plus off-road stress on the vehicle.

Lastly, try night drives, you will love it as desert temperature in night is much cooler than city temp and less or not humid.

Again, there is no end to modifications for summer from racing coolant, racing thermostat, thicker engine oil, cooler heat range spark plug, aux fans, aluminum radiator but avoiding extreme heat of 10 AM - 3 PM goes long way to keep everyone happy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 5

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

12 minutes ago, Tareck said:

Hi @Lawrence_Chehimi have you installed the additional electric fans on your Y62? if yes, please share the details and where i can get this done, thank you

Tareck, I have the 2019, it came already with an electric fan and an extra oil cooler from the agency. I guess 2018 onwards got the extra fan and cooler.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Most of the drives (80%-90%) are already running under same schedule to escape the heat.

I'm aware of this @Gaurav and appreciate Carnity management for the steps taken. Gone nuts trying to solve the issue. As I painfully found out you can try mods and run on a lean wallet but nothing helps in this overpowering heat. Desert driving is a passion but the temperature has put a damper on it. I couldn't stay back to help out on @Lorenzo Candelpergher's friday drive with @Abu Muhammad's pop out and had to leave as I knew I will collapse with exhaustion if I didn't get back to my home at the earliest. I felt guilty but I had no choice. It was only almost 9am and the heat was unbearable. No way you can endure a day drive without AC. The AC shuts down once the engine temp rises. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thomas Varghese said:

I'm aware of this @Gaurav and appreciate Carnity management for the steps taken. Gone nuts trying to solve the issue. As I painfully found out you can try mods and run on a lean wallet but nothing helps in this overpowering heat. Desert driving is a passion but the temperature has put a damper on it. I couldn't stay back to help out on @Lorenzo Candelpergher's friday drive with @Abu Muhammad's pop out and had to leave as I knew I will collapse with exhaustion if I didn't get back to my home at the earliest. I felt guilty but I had no choice. It was only almost 9am and the heat was unbearable. No way you can endure a day drive without AC. The AC shuts down once the engine temp rises. 

Unfortunately there is only so much Carnity can do with respect to the UAE heat, thus why summer driving is not for everyone. Thankfully, we have plenty of night drives but even then the heat can be too much for some cars and drivers

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

• Gaurav changed the title to Nissan Xterra maximum temperature when driving in the sand