Jump to content

Summer Off-road Adventures

COVID19 Compliant - Fewbie Morning Desert Drive - 2500RPM Qudra - Dubai - 25 Jun 2021


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dear DesernautsUAE,  I cannot believe it's Tuesday already. It seems truly, as if the weeks are folding one into the other in a blur.  Before the drive Friday, I wanted to develop the thinki

Post Drive Report As I said at the end of the drive, I enjoyed it - which is usually a good sign. I am not sure how many stuck to the rev limit, but I think that I did except for the moment that

Copyright infringement of Leaders Lead last session - recovery drive module, lololol. Jokes apart very good idea Richard to let everyone know, practise and start believing that skills are FAR abo

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Copyright infringement of Leaders Lead last session - recovery drive module, lololol.

Jokes apart very good idea Richard to let everyone know, practise and start believing that skills are FAR above full gas attitude and power mods.

LL is next level ... We will go from 2500 to 1500 next time round.

38 minutes ago, Rjducos said:

Good morning @Wrangeld, at the end I shifted and booked to @anish Drive, as it was half hour later :) 

Sorry

No problems. Enjoy.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, varunmehndiratta said:

Do i come in or wait till Wednesday for the 2nd drive confirmation? 😃

We open it up for 2nd drive Weds. So far you are the only WL and at the top of that list. 

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Wrangeld sad to say I’ll be dropping out of the drive!  😢 … this was a drive I have been wanting to join more than most and gutted to miss out.  
 

I am likely to be on pause for weekend off-roading for a while however will keep an eye out as you develop these challenging drives ongoing and cannot wait to join a future trip!  Have a fun ride all .. 

  • Sad (0) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Niki said:

@Wrangeld sad to say I’ll be dropping out of the drive!  😢 … this was a drive I have been wanting to join more than most and gutted to miss out.  
 

I am likely to be on pause for weekend off-roading for a while however will keep an eye out as you develop these challenging drives ongoing and cannot wait to join a future trip!  Have a fun ride all .. 

all ok @Niki, it’s a bummer not to drive together … following your (and many more) advice , my FJ is wearing new lighter shoes and this is is going to be the baptisms of fire, inshallah… I’d have love to share my experience with you and again thanks for the help in the sand last weekend

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Wrangeld said:

Dear DesernautsUAE, 

I cannot believe it's Tuesday already. It seems truly, as if the weeks are folding one into the other in a blur. 

Before the drive Friday, I wanted to develop the thinking just a bit more behind the limited RPM. My aim is to find a way to have a truly exciting drive while maintaining a limited rev range. To achieve that we are all going to have to see if we can learn how to climb using different techniques, slide slope and criss-cross using drive skill alone. 

When we started driving in the sand, it's likely that the drive lead told you to put your foot to the floor - that was because most are shy to use the power to start with: and then it becomes a sort of addiction, because we can often power our way out of trouble. The more experience we get, the more we try to finesse our style so that it looks graceful and as if we are simply floating across the sand. 

I watch long distance runners who glide majestically along the tarmac, not seeming to breathe (where I would be gasping for breath after 10 meters), cyclists that power their cycles up mountains with barely a sway in their movement and the fastest laps on an F1 Grand Prix are always the ones that when you watch them the car does not really look like it's going that fast. That's how I want to feel when I am in the sand, so it looks effortless, like the car is gliding across the sand, as if the car simply floats above the ground. 

Will it work? I have no idea. This is a bit of an experiment. I've driven through the desert on very low revs to recover stricken cars where they cannot be pushed, but never lead with the express purpose of leading a convoy to achieve the same. I think it's going to be fun trying. And if it all turns out to be too much ... 

See you soon in the sand.

 

 

hey Richard, indeed really looking forward as that effortless style is one los my learning objectives. 

I think that the vision is inspiring, surely for all who have decided to attend this drive, what I personally would find useful in preparation to the drive is a how-to oriented post. E.g. if you do this to approach a criss-cross, then you will need less power etc. Also, as an idea, we could design part of the drive with A/B approach comparison. E.g. for instance you could show us and why not us practicing then, two approaches to the climb or even the different picking different lines makes on the necessary effort (e.g. reading the dunes better). Just food for thought that I dare to suggest as I see you also nudging the team and invite to the thinking. I imagine not everything is possible or easy with such a long convoy. 

 

An Engineering note (told ya I am one): % of Max Torque and Power at 2,500 rpm is quite different by engine...so that limit will mean different challenges to different drivers... but the spirit of dune gliding is what I guess the most important thing is. 

 

Looking forward !

 

Edited by PaoloMaraziti
  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PaoloMaraziti said:

hey Richard, indeed really looking forward as that effortless style is one los my learning objectives. 

I think that the vision is inspiring, surely for all who have decided to attend this drive, what I personally would find useful in preparation to the drive is a how-to oriented post. E.g. if you do this to approach a criss-cross, then you will need less power etc. Also, as an idea, we could design part of the drive with A/B approach comparison. E.g. for instance you could show us and why not us practicing then, two approaches to the climb or even the different picking different lines makes on the necessary effort (e.g. reading the dunes better). Just food for thought that I dare to suggest as I see you also nudging the team and invite to the thinking. I imagine not everything is possible or easy with such a long convoy. 

 

An Engineering note (told ya I am one): % of Max Torque and Power at 2,500 rpm is quite different by engine...so that limit will mean different challenges to different drivers... but the spirit of dune gliding is what I guess the most important thing is. 

 

Looking forward !

 

I really like this engineering approach @PaoloMaraziti and will try to incorporate a few of these theoretical how to ideas in these posts. The A/B testing idea is also fantastic as long as the convoy is OK with that stopping and starting (maybe better suited for a masterclass where we can take the time to experiment?)

In essence, yes, this is about how to get your car to glide and run smoothly, but also how can you approach an obstacle in a different way (as you mention). Is there a way to build momentum to cross a high dune by circling round and building up momentum instead of powering up the dune? What approach angle do you take to criss-cross that might be different with different power at your disposal?  

Also you are of course correct. 2500RPM in a V8 Hemi is going to look quite different to 2500RPM in a Suzuki Jimny. If the drivers of the larger vehicles see no difference (which maybe they will not) they can always take the challenge and lower their RPM to experience that feeling. 

Once other addition to my earlier post. We will be looking into how to drive through technical dunes as well. If there is an area of expertise where finesse is more important than power, it's in getting through the technical dunes ...

 

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Richard, if you allow me to post here in this drive post 🙏

I read all the above mentioned info , the context and idea is nice 

I have been experimenting different inputs to My Xterra , 2 tons V6 with almost 270 HP . all the time in the different attempts ( usually 2 to 3 ) the outcome was different 

e.g feya ( maybe not ideal spot ) . I tried to be constant after reaching ground momentum just before take off in many attempt I had to navigate slightly the imaginary path trying not to alter but half way I had to shift to gear 1 to keep the RPM same or else just before hitting 1000 RPM immediately I exit down. What I am trying to say is there are many factors is governing to what some one is intended to accomplish. Terrain , softness , slope angle , vehicle type , drivers skills ( drivers factors / vehicle factors / terrain factors ) 

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

For replying to this topic, please

Subscribe and then join Offroad Club

And enjoy multiple level off-road drives - every weekend.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use