•  
Advertise here

FJ Cruiser vs Pajero vs Wrangler vs Xterra - which one is better for my use?

samamara

11 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Ultimate choice is yours, but if I'm in a similar situation, I will live with a squeak.

Btw, squeak can be handled to certain extent by regular steam washing @M.Seidam, adding rubber @Foxtrot Oscar, or spacer etc.

Ok, I'll officially add it to the list since the FJ Cruiser is officially off 😊 thanks!

• Sad (0) 1

29 minutes ago, samamara said:

Thanks @Hisham Masaad 😂🙏🏼. Unfortunately the fact that the back windows don't go down is going to be a deal-breaker for me 💔

It is opening upwards, much better than going down 👏👏👏..... 

• Haha (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

So if FJ is out.

Let's kick more cars out to make your choice easy:

• Pajero - you already have one.
  • Xterra - squeaking.
  • Wrangler - expensive and some models aren't reliable (Keeping my Jeep friends happy by adding "some").

So fast @Gaurav you drop fj out, let's talk.... @samamara didn't know the window is opening🤣🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Hisham Masaad said:

So fast @Gaurav you drop fj out, let's talk.... @samamara didn't know the window is opening🤣🤣

Now I'm confused @Hisham Masaad - are you saying the back seat windows in the FJ cruiser do open? @Nikimentioned the rear windows do not open and what I've read online is the same 🤔.

Just now, samamara said:

Now I'm confused @Hisham Masaad - are you saying the back seat windows in the FJ cruiser do open? @Nikimentioned the rear windows do not open and what I've read online is the same 🤔.

Apologies, I am talking about the back one, not the small back seat ones.

2 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

Let me join the party. Forget the FJs, Xterras, JK, JL, JLU...

get a XJ, the ultimate offroader...

Thank you @Srikumar 😏

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, samamara said:

Thanks for that @Ilya - the cabin noise is one of the biggest worries I have! Speaking of the wheels, do you feel the stock wheels are good enough for desert driving, or is an upgrade necessary do you think?

As a JL driver and someone who liked Pajero but didn't buy one due to cabin noise some years back...i would say JL is not the quietest one in market however far ahead of Pajero in terms of overall cabin experience. So if budget allows i won't even compare Pajero or Xterra with JL. Haven't tried FJ ever so can't comment. Prado and Patrol are surely more comfi but limited flexibility on mods and somehow the overall feel/look don't fit into my liking

JK and earlier versions perhaps are a diff topic as they lacked the latest features. Though even JK i would rate better than Pajero or Xterra.

It's not fast but onroad if i have to drive at 100_120kmph i prefer my JL over my sedan a Volvo S90. The whole feel is just awesome. And offroading capability wise it's undoubtedly far ahead of most you mentioned.

I drive a stock Sahara, would have loved a Rubicon however most.ppl advised against it - suggesting that it's not as comfi as Sahara onroad. If i have to buy today would any day go for Rubicon - as once you drive a wrangler - road comfort and drive fun relation have diff definitions. I have no plans for mods, i love the clean stock look. However good part is if one day i will change my mind options are extensive - unlike in any other vehicle. 

Reg rear cabin - my dad as well as my 9yo both at any given day prefers wrangler over my sedan on a long drive (again not for fast drives but at relaxed one). Not my mom so much due to ht of entry point due to her knee issues. 😃

Reg AC - mine is new and till this time I haven't felt any issue even when in middle.of desert in middle of the day. Sure it's not as good as my Sedan or other high end SUVs - Toureg, XC90, X5 etc. Surely better than Pajero..

Last but a very important one the fact you can literally rip it apart - take the doors off, roof off, fold the front wind screen is something truly exciting. Already waiting for winters to come as now have all i need to take the roof off 😃

And forgot to mention - i am every weekend in desert with Carnity with stock wheels on Sahara. They are high profile AT, while i know @Ilya believes differently, we have had multiple discussion on topic 🙂 but I don't see the need to change and have no plans. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Let me add some woods to the fire😈

1: Nissan Pathfinder R51,

• a slightly different version of Xterra, same power full engine transmission and platform,
  • this VQ40DE engine is really powerful, and in my opinion the strongest among the V6 rivals (Toyota, Jeep, Pajero, I have driven all of the mentioned brands' NA V6), once you push beyond 3k RPM, the kick is unbeatable.
  • 3 row 7 seaters that can be folded down completely
  • full independent suspension, which allows you drive comfortably onroad, and the handlng is lots better than the ones with either 1 solid axle or both solid axles (All the Toyota options, Xterra, Wrangler), I drive often 130-140kmr on highway.
  • However its around 200 kg heavier 2.1-2.2 tons, which I dont think is much a big issue as you are looking for comfortable and roomy option

2: Toyota Fortuner,

• the SUV form of the mightly Hillux pickup
  • Extremely durable 4.0 V6 which is also used on pre 2010  LC200, LC120 and FJ.
  • Weight about 1.8-1.9 tons, makes it the lightest body on frame v6 7 seater offroader in my knowledge
  • Optional rear diff locker
Edited by Zixuan Huang - Charlie
  • Like (+1) 2