Morning Fewbie Plus Drive - Lisaili - Dubai - 4 Sep 2021

Wrangeld

General Info

This drive is organized in full compliance with the COVID19 guidelines. We expect every member that joins this drive to go through below information and and strictly follow these guidelines in order not to jeopardize someone's health, and to ensure we can keep organizing these drives safely.

MUST READ AND TOTALLY AGREE: 

Drive Details

Level:  Fewbie Plus Above (All Levels)

When:  4 Sep 2021, Saturday.

Meeting time: 06:00 AM (SHARP - Without any exceptions)

Meeting Point: Lisaili Fort -
https://maps.app.goo.gl/iuyS2JQkvEUm21ik7

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

What to bring along: Loads of water, snacks (for yourself), smiles, face mask, rubber gloves, enthusiasm, willingness to learn and your own compressor for tire inflation.

Approximate finish time: 10:00 AM

End Point: Pylon Track, Al Qudra Road

Limited Spots Available:

• Limited to 10 cars only. RSVP will close on Thursday - 9 AM.
    • If the RSVP is full and you wish to join, please mention your name on the drive thread to add on the waiting list. 
  • Latecomers will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

PLEASE RSVP ON THE BELOW CALENDAR EVENT 

• Like (+1) 1

• Gaurav changed the title to Morning Fewbie Plus Drive - Lisaili - Dubai - 4 Sep 2021

Myself @Ale Vallecchi and @Hisham Masaad look forward to seeing you on Saturday morning.

Lisaili is reknowned for two things. Long sweeping dunes with the chance to ridge ride and slide slope and a fantastic flowing ride all the way from there to Last Exit and challenging, technical dunes that require extreme precision and care to navigate your way through. Those of you with heavy, long wheel base vehicles will be put through a challenge that will test all of your driving skill, becuase powering your way through these dunes is not really an option. 

The big fun dunes are essentially the reward for crossing the treacherous patches of tight, small, complex dune formations and it can take 4 minutes to get through, or much much longer. Which will it be this weekend? 

I guess I will tell you in the post drive report. 

We do not have a waitlist for the drive (yet) but if there is a chance you will not be able to go, please remove your name now to save planning as if you are going to be there. 

See you soon in the sand. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

13 hours ago, Looper said:

Please waitlist me for the 2nd drive of the week.

Will do - will all depend on whether anyone drops out from the drive. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, PaoloMaraziti said:

aka the Richard signature :)

I will accept that accolade Paolo. Technical is for sure, one of my areas of focus. :-) 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Of course you and @Looper both are. I had my other weekend drive in mind. Apologies. Currently there is a single place on the drive as only 9 have signed in on 1st drive. 

• Like (+1) 2

Pre Drive Thoughts

Faced with the challenge of the heavyweight (literally) convoy signed up for the drive on Saturday got me looking again at proposed routes for the drive. 

At Fewbie Plus, it's safe for me to assume that all drivers know their way round their vehicles, understand how to get the best from them and have some experience of more advanced techniques such as ridge riding and criss-crossing. Keep in mind that when you are promoted to IM you'll be expected to be able to self recover, and assist in recoveries of your convoy (where requested) and be able to follow the drive without much assistance. 

So what's the point of Fewbie Plus? As the logic implies, it's that place where you are getting more and more drive experience, you've learned the skills and need to practice them and you're ready to push yourself even further outside your comfort level than before so that at IM level you can feel confident and focused. 

Where is all this preamble leading? Most people know that my signature is technical dunes: The small, closely-packed, technically challenging dunes where driving skill is more important than power and finesse the keyword. Bluntly, this is not the ideal territory for the large number of leviathans joining the drive. Winter time, this would be less of a worry, but at the end of this hot, dry summer, the sanity of driving a convoy with at least 4 big V8s into this type of terrain can be a questioned - after all, we want to be out of the desert on time, not the following day. 

So, I am giving serious thought to where we go, and as a result where we start our drive with the dilemma of where I think we should all be able and capable to drive against the risks and outcome if things do not go to plan.

Please watch out as a result for the start point of the drive that I will publish tomorrow. I guess you all better hope that I sleep well. 

• Like (+1) 7

Seems my last communication did not scare anyone off the challenge that awaits - great. 

Here are the convoy positions for the drive. Sincere apologies @PaoloMaraziti and @Looper We are a 12 car convoy and to extend the convoy runs the risk of disjointed communication and in this company (leviathans at the back) massively churned sand. Had this been first drive for either of you, I would have accommodated the request, but we always need to keep safety at a higher premium than anything else - on this occasion, I am afraid you did not make the convoy. 

image.png.ecf2a080465e71b8eea8a8c27784ae95.png

@Werno @Sunil Mathew @Zixuan Huang - Charlie @Chinthaka Ruwan @Alain Canivet-Abikhalil @Hisham Masaad @Rawad @Darren Brooke @Humayun Ghias @darren thompson @Ale Vallecchi

You all made it to the drive. Just know that if for any reason you do not turn up on Saturday morning there were two drivers eagerly awaiting your space and it's to them that any apologies need to be addressed. I am sure that both @PaoloMaraziti and @Looper can change their plans with some notice and turn up if you are going to drop out - if you are don't just remove your RSVP and hope that someone finds it while looking through: POST IT HERE ON THE FORUM so that everyone can see and act accordingly. 

As for the people on the drive expect technical, expect soft sand, expect some ridges and expect some crisscross and a relatively fast pace so that we can make it from the Lisaili start point to Last Exit [implies not a lot of time spent on play areas and the need to keep moving]. 

No specific theme for the day - but I do warn you there's plenty more dad jokes out there waiting to be inflicted on what is a very captive audience. 

Enjoy your Friday. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Well Done (+2) 1

13 minutes ago, PaoloMaraziti said:

Of course no problem @Wrangeld, and yes if there’s any drop out , I don’t have any other plan For the Dawn of Saturday  :) so happy to happy to join at short notice ! Enjoy a great drive you all ! 

Thanks for the understanding

• Like (+1) 3

Important Information

Terms of use