•  
Advertise here

Nissan Patrol Y61 Tire Upgrades Help & Recommendations

On 9/15/2021 at 9:42 AM, munkybizness said:

Final thought - currently running 275/65/R17 so would you folks recommend an upgrade to 285/65/R17 or 275/70/R17?

Did a side-by-side comparison and while the 275/70 offers a minutely better ~0.29" increase in clearance due to sidewall height increase, the 285/65 offers a ~0.39" increase in width.

image.png.1ecb72473ea81e83b1460a10ef7b2430.png

These numbers seem so small that I've been breaking my head over this for the past week, and don't know which to prioritize. Any guidance here would be amazing!

There are already very good advices here and I think @munkybiznesshas made his choice, but I want to give an opinion on this “height” vs “width” since you were banging your head over this weeks ago 😁:

1. Generally like guru Sri has mentioned, higher is better. For the simple reason: your rear diff (aka the pumpkin) can only be moved up (higher ground clearance) by taller tires (thicker sidewalls).

2. But if you have a lift, whether suspension (move frame up) or body (move body up from frame), you just made the Center of Gravity even higher than factory design. In this case you may want to consider the wider tires, for the simple reason: a tall car with skinny/narrow feet (tyres) vs a tall car with fat feet/wide tires, which one is easier to roll over during side-sloping? I know which one cos I have rolled over 😂. Additional aesthetic reason: once you lift your car, you create that extra space that can only be fulfilled by larger tires, since some will see that space as “unbalanced”, “not in harmony” or “ugly” 😅

In short: tires are not forever, after few years they’ll wear out so good time to experiment a bit. If it doesn’t work out, you can always sell the tires after experimenting and fall back to the previous proven ones ☺️

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Humayun Ghias said:

Thank you very much @Lorenzo Candelpergherso that means I need to change the rims. I will start looking for those. Any leads where I should look? @Srikumarrecomended hitting the scrap yards for original ones. 

Check out this website to know exactly the tire/wheel combo that best fits your Y62

https://tiresize.com/chart/

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Basically you want to stay around 33 inches. If you go higher than that (up to 34.3 inches), your fuel consumption will take a hit, and the tyres will rub. For anything higher than 34.3, you will need to lift

You also need to think about the offset. Y62s come with 35+ offset wheels. You can go down to 12+ with wider tyres so you can avoid rubbing against the control arms 

Your aim is to increase the sidewall while keeping the tyre diameter around 33 inches, thats why its hard to do it with 20 inches wheels. If you go with 18 wheels, I recommend 275/70R18 or up to 295/70R18. The latter will rub with the mudguards but you can remove them or cable tie them to the back

18 inches OEM wheels can be found in Sajaa industrial area 

Edited by Rawad
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Whatever you do, stay away from replica wheels, as they will pop out and difficult to fix those pop outs that will frustrate you more to use spare tire on most pop outs.

Stay with OEM (new or used) or branded good quality wheels for better peace of mind.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

Whatever you do, stay away from replica wheels, as they will pop out and difficult to fix those pop outs that will frustrate you more to use spare tire on most pop outs.

Stay with OEM (new or used) or branded good quality wheels for better peace of mind.

Thank you @Gauravwill make sure to do that 

• Like (+1) 1

• 5 months later...

Just resurrecting this thread, because knowing how much the Geolandars GO15s are loved around here, I've had a pretty bad run with them so far. I've now had two tyres fail on me due to structural issues in their construction. And when you put that out of 5 tires - that's a 40% rate of failure already.

My Yoko Geolandar GO15s had barely 10k kms on them, when I developed the first issue. After suffering three pop-outs on the same tyre, I took it in for inspection to discover cuts in the bead lining. If the pressure was too low or the impact too hard, this would unseat itself.

1571239583_Geo-1-BeadliningIssue.png.fe7cd8a7cd7d0295c7adf93f09f7dece.png

And then, this weekend, my spare GO15, also suffered a pop-out. Of course, the majority of these pop-outs are my faults. Too hard of an impact or too violent with my cornering are all going to lead to unseating the bead, so I chalked it up to driver error (mine). On the way home, the tire that was refixed began to wobble which usually happens after popouts for me due to additional sand making it into the tire when inflating. I made it home, and then decided I would visit a tire shop on Sunday morning.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get to it before this evening, when driving it on the highway, the tire suddenly gave away. I somehow brought the car under control, and moved to the shoulder from where I headed to a tire shop - which was fortunately, just 200m out at a gas station. Here, we discovered the following issue in the internal wall of the tyre.

2032788700_Geo-2-SidewallIssue.png.203c3377d7f404d7c06d2a6bc1b2fcec.png

This is the second GO15 I have had an issue with in less than 4 months, with less than 15k kms of driving. At this point, I feel like I got extremely unlucky, and just got a bad batch. But, with two issues now, I'm also beginning to think if I need to get another brand of tires.

• Sad (0) 1

31 minutes ago, munkybizness said:

Just resurrecting this thread, because knowing how much the Geolandars GO15s are loved around here, I've had a pretty bad run with them so far. I've now had two tyres fail on me due to structural issues in their construction. And when you put that out of 5 tires - that's a 40% rate of failure already.

My Yoko Geolandar GO15s had barely 10k kms on them, when I developed the first issue. After suffering three pop-outs on the same tyre, I took it in for inspection to discover cuts in the bead lining. If the pressure was too low or the impact too hard, this would unseat itself.

1571239583_Geo-1-BeadliningIssue.png.fe7cd8a7cd7d0295c7adf93f09f7dece.png

And then, this weekend, my spare GO15, also suffered a pop-out. Of course, the majority of these pop-outs are my faults. Too hard of an impact or too violent with my cornering are all going to lead to unseating the bead, so I chalked it up to driver error (mine). On the way home, the tire that was refixed began to wobble which usually happens after popouts for me due to additional sand making it into the tire when inflating. I made it home, and then decided I would visit a tire shop on Sunday morning.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get to it before this evening, when driving it on the highway, the tire suddenly gave away. I somehow brought the car under control, and moved to the shoulder from where I headed to a tire shop - which was fortunately, just 200m out at a gas station. Here, we discovered the following issue in the internal wall of the tyre.

2032788700_Geo-2-SidewallIssue.png.203c3377d7f404d7c06d2a6bc1b2fcec.png

This is the second GO15 I have had an issue with in less than 4 months, with less than 15k kms of driving. At this point, I feel like I got extremely unlucky, and just got a bad batch. But, with two issues now, I'm also beginning to think if I need to get another brand of tires.

new tires are with 1 year warranty, check with your supplier.

Mine is around 10k km too, daily + weekend offroad. no visible dmg nor pop out so far ( I run on 10 psi with stock rim). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Which rims are you using @munkybizness?

Frequent pop outs does damage the integrity and strength of any tire. So before doubting geo, I would check the root cause of frequent pop outs, apart from driver error (if any).

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

2 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Which rims are you using @munkybizness?

Frequent pop outs does damage the integrity and strength of any tire. So before doubting geo, I would check the root cause of frequent pop outs, apart from driver error (if any).

@Gaurav - I’m on the stock rims. I’m having the bead groove of each rim checked too so I can raise this issue with Nissan if the issue can be isolated there.

You’re right about driver error. And I admit it’s easy to blame the tire even though pop outs are primarily the result of me not driving with more care. And I’m going to work on improving my driving style.

The challenge is that I don’t have a good enough way of isolating how to improve my driving style. So far, all 5 pop outs I’ve had over 35 drives have happened on the front right wheel. This tells me that when I’m coming off of slopes, or using a left handed exit out of a bowl to climb up, I need to find a much smoother angle. And also reduce my momentum exiting so that I don’t also swerve violently to avoid bumps or steps. Beyond that, I can’t think of other ways to address this. I never go below 11.5 - 12 psi on my stock rims, so low pressure isn’t really a concern right now.

But I’m also now thinking that when it comes to replacing this set with tires  that have stronger sidewalls, should I instead just get Cooper AT3s, or the Kumho MTs. Or as I build my rig into an overland, I take the dreaded step of getting the KO2.

Edited by munkybizness
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, munkybizness said:

@Gaurav - I’m on the stock rims. I’m having the bead groove of each rim checked too so I can raise this issue with Nissan if the issue can be isolated there.

You’re right about driver error. And I admit it’s easy to blame the tire even though pop outs are primarily the result of me not driving with more care. And I’m going to work on improving my driving style.

The challenge is that I don’t have a good enough way of isolating how to improve my driving style. So far, all 5 pop outs I’ve had over 35 drives have happened on the front right wheel. This tells me that when I’m coming off of slopes, or using a left handed exit out of a bowl to climb up, I need to find a much smoother angle. And also reduce my momentum exiting so that I don’t also swerve violently to avoid bumps or steps. Beyond that, I can’t think of other ways to address this. I never go below 11.5 - 12 psi on my stock rims, so low pressure isn’t really a concern right now.

But I’m also now thinking that when it comes to replacing this set with tires  that have stronger sidewalls, should I instead just get Cooper AT3s, or the Kumho MTs. Or as I build my rig into an overland, I take the dreaded step of getting the KO2.

I suspect the issue could be with the rim more than the driver error, I usually drive with 8psi on my geolandar in stock rims  and so far no pop outs even while doing harsh cornering and long sideys. 

• Like (+1) 4