Morning Fewbie Plus Desert Drive - Faqa - Dubai - 10 Dec 2021

Gaurav

Thanks @Gaurav@Lawrence_Chehimifor the wonderful drive. Also appreciate everyone's helping and patient on my first pop out experience. Really sorry to kept you all stuck in the desert for almost 2 hour.

I learned every method to dealing with my method wheel including @JamesThorn@Wernodancing on the tire together

😛

I think those inside ridges are the problems. Anyway I will get a full size spare tire to avoid the same situation in the future and never drive below 10psi again.

下载 (4).jpeg

下载 (3).jpeg

Edited by Daniel Yang
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Daniel Yang said:

Anyway I will get a full size spare tire to avoid the same situation in the future and never drive below 10psi again.

I drive geo at 9 - 10 psi regularly and only popped once in last 5+ year due to unavoidable high speed bump at slip face.

You can try again at 10 and avoid fighting gravity aggressively, as reported by Lawrence, by choosing higher lines. If you lose the line then little course correction is acceptable than sliding all the way through slip face, its lucky you had a pop out than a roll over.

For pop out, as I mentioned to double check your rim offset compare to stock rims as that's where aftermarket rims pop out become difficult. If it's original, then Method should share the technique to use (if any) to fix these in desert. I was thinking of buying tire mounting lube after yesterday's incident, to see if tire seating for such difficult rims can be handled easily.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

3 hours ago, Gaurav said:

I drive geo at 9 - 10 psi regularly and only popped once in last 5+ year due to unavoidable high speed bump at slip face.

You can try again at 10 and avoid fighting gravity aggressively, as reported by Lawrence, by choosing higher lines. If you lose the line then little course correction is acceptable than sliding all the way through slip face, its lucky you had a pop out than a roll over.

For pop out, as I mentioned to double check your rim offset compare to stock rims as that's where aftermarket rims pop out become difficult. If it's original, then Method should share the technique to use (if any) to fix these in desert. I was thinking of buying tire mounting lube after yesterday's incident, to see if tire seating for such difficult rims can be handled easily.

@Gaurav someone who is running the same wheels on y61 told to tie the tire with a strap from center and inflate then the tire will be seat back.....Like below picture showing, also the lube or grease will definitely help,  what you think about this way

maxresdefault.jpg

Sounds interesting, let's do another pop out to test.

Im always open to new ideas and this strap in center (I never heard before) sounds quiet logical to press all beads outward evenly, than just pulling from 4 sides.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

6 hours ago, Daniel Yang said:

I think those inside ridges are the problems. Anyway I will get a full size spare tire to avoid the same situation in the future and never drive below 10psi again.

@Daniel Yang I thought you said you were driving 12psi? 😅  I don't know if you noticed, but we've got the exact configuration: Yoko Geolandar P285/70/R17 (Passenger-rated not Light-Truck) and Method 703 Bead Grip. And I've driving on 9-10psi on these since May 2021. So it kinda worried me you got a pop-out @ 12psi... now you're a bad example for Method 😂😂😂

The grooves on the 7xx rims are good when viewed upside-down like so 👇 
The Grooves/Inner Ridges + Taller Bead Wall will give good traction when pushed down (hence can stand lower psi), but a pain in the $$$ to seat properly (when viewed up like your pic), cos the grooves will "leak air" unless the bead is pushed using the ratchet method (below video) or a proper tire machine or a powerful air compressor.
BeadGrip1.png.50ecb39d55a57c076733521852f37005.png

@Gaurav i think @Lawrence_Chehimi was almost on the right approach with the ratchet, as shown in this video tip. This is the method that a friend from another club used and spoken also in the Polaris forums (where these Bead Grip rims are famous initially):  Learning something new due to this unexpected pop-out 😁
https://youtu.be/MK0P5MF7ioI?t=145

Edited by Zed
typo

19 minutes ago, Zed said:

@Daniel Yang I thought you said you were driving 12psi? 😅  I don't know if you noticed, but we've got the exact configuration: Yoko Geolandar P285/70/R17 (Passenger-rated not Light-Truck) and Method 703 Bead Grip. And I've driving on 9-10psi on these since May 2021. So it kinda worried me you got a pop-out @ 12psi... now you're a bad example for Method 😂😂😂

The grooves on the 7xx rims are good when viewed upside-down like so 👇 
The Grooves/Inner Ridges + Taller Bead Wall will give good traction when pushed down (hence can stand lower psi), but a pain in the $$$ to seat properly (when viewed up like your pic), cos the grooves will "leak air" unless the bead is pushed using the ratchet method (below video) or a proper tire machine or a powerful air compressor.
BeadGrip1.png.50ecb39d55a57c076733521852f37005.png

@Gaurav i think @Lawrence_Chehimi was almost on the right approach with the ratchet, as shown in this video tip. This is the method that a friend from another club used and spoken also in the Polaris forums (where these Bead Grip rims are famous initially):  Learning something new due to this unexpected pop-out 😁
https://youtu.be/MK0P5MF7ioI?t=145

Interesting @Zed and @Lawrence_Chehimi and definitely something worth testing when the opportunity rises.

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

8 minutes ago, Lawrence_Chehimi said:

Glad we didn't do that in the strap I had, it would have exploded in someones face😂.

yes i think safer to deflate again after bead is seated to prevent the pressure from flying to someone's face 😂 the ratchet method is just to seat the bead, may need to remind this before experimenting 😁

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

this strap in center (I never heard before) sounds quiet logical to press all beads outward evenly, than just pulling from 4 sides.

I remember in one of the drives F+ I guess we had I situation of difficult pop out fixing and instead of rope we used a ratchet ( same idea ) and worked like magic . If I remember it was @Jeandre Bezuidenhout idea . 

• Well Done (+2) 2

Important Information

Terms of use