•  
Advertise here

Pajero Drive Modes

The mode selector for Pajero is very well documented by @Frederic which also explain the technicalities. Personally, it does not bother me anymore of not being able to climb Faya (though i still try 😉) and not do things that other cars are doing. I completely understand you @Mehmet Volga, but I feel the Pajero is a very capable car but it has its limits due to the weight, engine and gearing. 

I do-not think, the Pajero will climb better on 4HLc because i did try it few times. Actually, 4H is better to gain momentum to climb.

By default, I always offroad on 4H and I use HLc only when i see a very soft or churned up area where the chance of stuck is high. I personally think that since the 4H distributes more power to the rear wheels than the front wheels, the car's rear wheels tend to dig in easily on soft patches and the front wheel does not have enough power to pull the car out. 

However on HLc, since the power is distributed equally to both rear and front wheels, the traction is well balanced and the car floats better in super soft sand with lesser chance of sinking.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

I totally agree with what the others here have mentioned above. The LWB Pajero is a very capable off-roader despite its inherent limits. If you rate an off-road vehicle purely on the capability of climbing Faya then the Pajero is not the right car. If you want a capable and reliable allround off-roader which is comfortable as well and suitable as family vehicle than the Pajero is the right fit. 

If you prefer to stick with Pajero then consider a SWB 3.8 Pajero like @Wrangeld is driving. You’ll have the best of both worlds. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

44 minutes ago, Frederic said:

I totally agree with what the others here have mentioned above. The LWB Pajero is a very capable off-roader despite its inherent limits. If you rate an off-road vehicle purely on the capability of climbing Faya then the Pajero is not the right car. If you want a capable and reliable allround off-roader which is comfortable as well and suitable as family vehicle than the Pajero is the right fit. 

If you prefer to stick with Pajero then consider a SWB 3.8 Pajero like @Wrangeld is driving. You’ll have the best of both worlds. 

It's true. I do. 

• Like (+1) 5

@Mehmet Volga I am with the ithrrr guys.  Getting up Faya is not all its cracked up to be. Right day, right sand, right line you'll make it. 30 minutes later, forget it. 

If climbing big bowls is your thing think about your angle of attack and your momentum. 'Underpowered' cars in the right hands can surprise by having more than enough. 

My swb 3.8 is wonderful for most climbs ... but i will happily give up getting to the top of a hill if it does not feel right. The sand is fickle. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

@Srikumar @Gaurav @Anish S @Frederic @Wrangeld Thank you all for these feedbacks. The issue is well lighted up. I am globally happy with my Pajero since it is definitely good in technical areas. As @Srikumar mentioned, we are rarely doing long hill climbs but need technical recovery capabilities in almost every single drive. So, I agree now that long hill climbing should not be the sole criteria to judge an off-road car.  

@Anish S @Gaurav @Wrangeld yes, maybe it is better to re-motivate myself not to look up of the hills only. I will try some attempts with 4HLc but your technical comments are very logical, so I do not think this would make a difference better than 4H... 

@Anish S thank you! You and me are trying to exploit full capacity of our cars so this helps development of our skills I think...

@Frederic, I am also using my car for family purposes as well and Pajero is quite sufficient especially in my situation with two small monsters on the back seats and with many stuff on the luggage. So yes, this satisfies the both on and off road. That's why we will continue with this for a while I think. Maybe later I can convince my wife to sell her convertible audi and replace it with a SWB Wrangler, which still she can open its top and I can borrow some days when long-hill climbing is required.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 3

On 10/15/2020 at 4:39 PM, Rizwan Waheed said:

@Frederic Thank you for sharing the useful info. Need some refusals to learn about the techniques of self recoveries.. ;) 

@Frederic excellent, very useful.

• Like (+1) 3

@Mehmet Volga don't give up. I have the shorter end of the stick with a 3.3 liter 164 hp Pathy. I can never reach Faya or Iftar Bowl top from the front side. But it doesn't mean I can't reach the top, that is why I have my cheat routes. Next time we drive in these areas together I will introduce you to my cheat routes so you can enjoy the sand blowing on your face on top.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1