Advertise here

Pajero vs Pathfinder

Hi guys,

I bought my 06 SWB Pajero, 6 months ago and its a great little car which handles well and performs well on the dunes too. However whenever I have to take 4 people in the car its always a struggle due to it having 2 doors only. 

A family friend of mine is selling his 04 Pathfinder 3.5 , I'm considering selling mine and buying his if its worth it, so I just wanted pro's and con's of either car. The only reason I'm planning for this switch is for more practicality, and nothing else.

I drive the Pajero as a daily driver as well so reliability is an important aspect, the Paj has done 130K and the Pathfinder has done over 200K, I'm yet to drive the Pathfinder as my friend isnt back in Dubai yet, so Im yet to see how the car drives.

Edited by Jasim Khumi
  • Like (+1) 2

The 3.5 Pathfinder is a great off-roader, @Rahimdad will be able to tell you all the nifty details about it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

My Pathy is 2001 model which is a 3.3 liter engine. The 3.5 is really amazing and reliable vehicle, but 2002 - 2004 model came with the plastic MAF sensor which breaks every now and then. However this was resolved from 2005 where they have a metal piece in the MAF sensor which takes care of that.

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

6 minutes ago, Rahimdad said:

My Pathy is 2001 model which is a 3.3 liter engine. The 3.5 is really amazing and reliable vehicle, but 2002 - 2004 model came with the plastic MAF sensor which breaks every now and then. However this was resolved from 2005 where they have a metal piece in the MAF sensor which takes care of that.

is the MAF sensor an expensive part to fix? (Im guessing not)

apart from that, is it a decent daily driver car?

Since the milage is at 200K and I'm comparing it with  my Pajero at 130K, is there anything I should be concerned about for such a high milage?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

@Jasim Khumi my Pathy has already done 265k and nothing major. My model has started to have some gear issue, but still drivable. I had to change the complete AC assembly which costed me 2k about 3 years back. AC is still running good. Steering pump is an issue, makes steering hard when stand still and sounds like something grinding inside. Using it off-road I lost my front lower and upper arm, plus had to change the springs and suspension when I bought it 5 years back. Stereo was horrible, changed it with speakers from Alpine. Seats started sagging up. Plugs if not changed on time become a pain to change. But this is my 3.3 liter issues. Not sure if these were still an issue with the 3.5 liter version.

The plastic MAF sensor is not so expensive, but a real annoyance.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

cool got it, @Rahimdad, so the car Im talking about, the seller is the first owner of the car and started servicing it from an outside garage a few years ago, before that it was all agency maintained, so I'm hoping it is in good condition. He's going to be back on Thursday so I'll let you know how the drive goes.

Any idea what price I should be expecting for the car?

• Well Done (+2) 2

I also got mine from a friend who had it from day one of the showroom floor. But mine is 20 years old now and needs some work. But not bad for a 20 year old car to run like a dream. The only older models are @Gaurav bhai and @Frederic Pajeros and @Srikumar XJ.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2