•  
Advertise here

Help chose! Do-it-all vs separate off roader (LR Discovery vs Volvo XC90)

Shadab Khan

On 6/14/2020 at 3:50 PM, sertac said:

Great footage and great climb. Wrangler with a supercharger will be a great off roader. 

I feel it's not just the power, but other factors like gear ratios that also matter. All the power in the world but a messed up gearing doesn't help in long hill climbs.

A straight 6 engine giving only 190 hp but having the right gear ratio can also do the Iftar bowl climb from the center. See the video.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 4

1 hour ago, Srikumar said:

I feel it's not just the power, but other factors like gear ratios that also matter. All the power in the world but a messed up gearing doesn't help in long hill climbs.

A straight 6 engine giving only 190 hp but having the right gear ratio can also do the Iftar bowl climb from the center. See the video.

Totally agree on the gearing issue. 

I had 2006 Nissan Patrol SWB in 2008 and it never climbed up Bidayer, let alone IFB and Faya, because 4.5 liter engine in patrol was not having same gearing as in 4.8 liter engine.

50-60% pink rock - Max Climb.

DSC_1807.JPG

• Like (+1) 3
  • WOW (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I am very glad to have intermediate drive this week at Nawza Shops area if we go to Iftar Bowl i want to try climbing capability of Grand Cherokee. So far i am feeling it is better than my old Auto Cherokee because of different gear. Lets see if it can make it till the top, my old cherokee wasnt. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Totally agree on the gearing issue. 

I had 2006 Nissan Patrol SWB in 2008 and it never climbed up Bidayer, let alone IFB and Faya, because 4.5 liter engine in patrol was not having same gearing as in 4.8 liter engine.

50-60% pink rock - Max Climb.

DSC_1807.JPG

Your Patrol was the first thing that popped into my mind after reading that post. Very short 1st and anemic 2nd. I think it was a direct transfer from the Patrol pickup because you need a short and torquey 1st gear for a fully laden pickup to get moving specially off road. Same case with the Cruiser pickup. Infact when not loaded and on road I never even used 1st always started from 2nd 

• Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

UPDATE: I have now bought the car!!

https://dubai.dubizzle.com/motors/used-cars/jeep/grand-cherokee/2020/6/10/aed1714month-2015-jeep-grand-cherokee-summ-2/

Settled for 80K. Ideally, I would have gotten something without air suspension and with two hooks attached etc, but we'll see how this one turns out!

Acknowledgement: Literally all of you helped me get a car that I feel good about. You helped me calibrate my expectations, gave me a reality check, and offered your generous help and time. For that, a BIG THANK YOU (in no order): @sertac @Frederic @Rahimdad @Chaitanya D @Gaurav @desertdude @Brette

I will update this thread once the car has gone through (in this order):

1) A mechanic for fault finding so I can get it fixed while I still have warranty

2) Off-road upgrades to be able to join newbie drives (still figuring this out)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 3

30 minutes ago, Shadab Khan said:

UPDATE: I have now bought the car!!

https://dubai.dubizzle.com/motors/used-cars/jeep/grand-cherokee/2020/6/10/aed1714month-2015-jeep-grand-cherokee-summ-2/

Settled for 80K. Ideally, I would have gotten something without air suspension and with two hooks attached etc, but we'll see how this one turns out!

Acknowledgement: Literally all of you helped me get a car that I feel good about. You helped me calibrate my expectations, gave me a reality check, and offered your generous help and time. For that, a BIG THANK YOU (in no order): @sertac @Frederic @Rahimdad @Chaitanya D @Gaurav @desertdude @Brette

I will update this thread once the car has gone through (in this order):

1) A mechanic for fault finding so I can get it fixed while I still have warranty

2) Off-road upgrades to be able to join newbie drives (still figuring this out)

Congrats!!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Well Done (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Well done, congrats @Shadab Khan.

Hope you and your family have happy and safe drive for years to come.

And btw, I was busy whole day and wanted to reply that please dont be scare and too crazy about used cars in UAE as majority of them are good and in reasonably re-usable condition and not like your salt lake rotten cars.

Take it easy, enjoy and i'm sure after few years you will have different experience of owning cars in UAE.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Important Information

Terms of use