•  

Snorkel or no snorkel.. ? for Driving in Desert.

Rizwan Waheed

Totally agree with @Alexander Alcala for bigger tire and lifted suspension is must for improving wading height, but don't get confused that same will result wonder in the desert. In sand off-roading power-to-weight is king and bigger tires (usually heavier) tires will make you struggle a lot while hill climb and cross tracks where you need an instant power to spin tires against huge resistance.

I have struggled a lot with my Patrol SWB with BF Goodrich tires and when changed to lighter tires it made a HUGE improvement.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Hello guys 

regarding snorkel or no snorkel issue , please the following link may highlight few things about that especially this wading capacity term that today I came to learn about for first time . Thanks for the discussion 😎

https://www.topgear.com.ph/features/tip-sheet/10-practical-tips-for-those-considering-installing-a-snorkel-on-their-vehicle-a36-20160628-lfrm?ref=site_search

Edited by Mohamed Seidam
  • Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Gaurav said:

In sand off-roading power-to-weight is king

Agree totally with @Gaurav and there is no match as maintaining the momentum entails spinning wheels 

Edited by Mohamed Seidam
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

4 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Totally agree with @Alexander Alcala for bigger tire and lifted suspension is must for improving wading height, but don't get confused that same will result wonder in the desert. In sand off-roading power-to-weight is king and bigger tires (usually heavier) tires will make you struggle a lot while hill climb and cross tracks where you need an instant power to spin tires against huge resistance.

I have struggled a lot with my Patrol SWB with BF Goodrich tires and when changed to lighter tires it made a HUGE improvement.

Power to weight is the mantra when sand bashing is the issue. I solved that by changing the tuning and regearing my jeep. But then again it depends on your goal. For the occasional desert ride it might not be justified.  

My suggestion is to do a lot offroading before. Get to know what your car is capable off, and later if you feel that you need some upgrades, then go for it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

53 minutes ago, Chaitanya D said:

remember what you need is good power to weight ratio, right momentum & approach , and of course keep gravity as your friend who never betrays you.

Absolutely right and awareness of this as fact is core basic in sand off-roading 👍🚙

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

• 4 months later...

If external snorkel is of concern can consider something as in the link. But as advised by all earlier check your top priority needs and nice to have. To my limited knowledge this seems to be good. Even though I will not go for this another 2-3 years, I would like to understand the rational behind such innovative thought.

https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/the-alternative-to-a-snorkel.132032/

On 11/9/2020 at 5:53 PM, sertac said:

For Xterra specially air box is taking the air from the tire side. If you are doing some extreme dune bashing and if your air filter is not good quality engine is sucking sand. That's why many Xterra owners putting Snorkel to their cars. For FJ also it is the same if i am not mistaken. My Jeep was taking the air form the front it wasn't having this issue. I a not aware for Pajero. 

Personally i dont have one i am having good quality AEM air filter and i am cleaning it after every desert drive. 

Absolutely correct @sertac. After every drive in the desert when I open my air filter box of my XTERRA I find substantial amount of sand which has entered the box through the air intake hose fixed at the driver side wheel well especially if you had got stuck and tried to self recover. The major issue with XTERRA air filter box is you cannot close it properly once its opened and has to be done by a mechanic who knows this issue with XTERRA air filter boxes. 

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use