•  

Morning Fewbie Plus Desert Drive - Al Faya to Sweihan - Abu Dhabi - 16 Sep 2023

Looper

3 hours ago, Looper said:

@Jona & @Bjoern - this will be the second drive of the week for you. Please let me know your availability in case someone drops out and we are able to extend. 

Thanks @Looper I've removed myself from the WL 

• Like (+1) 1

Hope you are all ready for the drive. It will be about 28 degrees C when we start and about 35 degrees when we finish the drive. There is however a good chance (up to 80%) that there will be fog. 

IMPORTANT: IF you get an SMS to reduce the speed limit do reduce the speed limit. In Abu Dhabi they will levy a fine on you.

The following are the nearest Fuel Stations Coming from Dubai Side. 

1. On Al Faya Road (E75) about 18 km to the destination. https://maps.app.goo.gl/XpCRDACquc4m5ZDs8
  2. On Sweihan Road (E20) 27.5 km to the destination. https://maps.app.goo.gl/sEhkqjzQ7dmuRfNb7
  3. On Al Faya Road (E75) 6 km past the meeting point. https://maps.app.goo.gl/JBcdbNsyJzKU6zyr8

Check what is convenient to you. 

The following is the convoy order. We will be on Channel 2. 

image.png.f370500e12724163d52bd91a5731dd21.png

• Like (+1) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

Come down straight ahead if you can’t find anyone at the cellular tower. M

don't drive like its your last one.

21 hours ago, Looper said:

654451131_Screenshot2023-09-16125626.png.491308b1a7aaa351d7ab94e98b692d58.png

Drive Report:

There were a couple of missed time calculations for reaching the meeting point. I was early by 45 min and @Rajiv Sam that he arrived about time thanks to @Joji varghese@Andrei S arrived on time but unfortunately his air conditioner was not working so he had to leave.

After the briefing we started our drive at about 6:28 am. The temperature was about 27-28 degrees Celsius but due to humidity which was at 93%  it felt like 35 degrees, and it was super sweaty. I have a small gripe. I could see rest of the convoy with their AC on and closed widow glass up but due to poor visibility as it was not only foggy but also slightly overcast which was making it difficult for me to view and differentiate the sand and sky, I had to keep the window down.

I was here a couple of times in this area. Once with my wife in a newbie drive last year and again further south with @JeromeFJ on an intermediate drive. But it was the first time I had driven in this area. We spent a lot of time in the first 10 km section at the start because it was so fun. We drove this 10km stretch which is about 1/3rd of the total planned track as crow flies for about 2 hours and then rushed towards the exit in last one hour and ended the drive at 9:35 which included 20 min break for a pop out as well. I found it interesting that the dunes would push me into the narrow technical area repeatedly and I had to keep getting out only to find myself back in the narrow technical area.

For me it was an enjoyable drive with the entire convoy driving seamlessly and keeping up with the flow. It was in my opinion an elegant drive where we kept pace and drove as a unit. 

Thank you very much @Mehmet Volga for your presence and being the 2nd lead. it gave me a lot of confidence to drive the way I did today.

Also big thanks to @Rajiv Sam, @Joji varghese and @Pacific for playing the crucial role of supporting the drive.

@FERNANDO SYRIO, @Bashar Beasha and @Rk ram you guys were excellent and had a flawless drive. I am very impressed with your driving today.

The FJ gang of @Hugo and @Mohit Gurnani did well as usual.

All very experienced Jeep gang with @Naveen Raj, @Bjoern and 392 @Gok Krish were excellent as usual at the back. 

I will be looking forward to your comments on today's drive.

Till we loop again in the dunes, have a great week ahead.

Hey @Looper..thanks for the wonderful drive man...great fluency and speed in sequencing the challenges . Worth the waking up early in the morning! Parts of the drive touched Intermediate level and great everyone matched upto it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 9/16/2023 at 1:22 PM, Looper said:

654451131_Screenshot2023-09-16125626.png.491308b1a7aaa351d7ab94e98b692d58.png

Drive Report:

There were a couple of missed time calculations for reaching the meeting point. I was early by 45 min and @Rajiv Sam that he arrived about time thanks to @Joji varghese@Andrei S arrived on time but unfortunately his air conditioner was not working so he had to leave.

After the briefing we started our drive at about 6:28 am. The temperature was about 27-28 degrees Celsius but due to humidity which was at 93%  it felt like 35 degrees, and it was super sweaty. I have a small gripe. I could see rest of the convoy with their AC on and closed widow glass up but due to poor visibility as it was not only foggy but also slightly overcast which was making it difficult for me to view and differentiate the sand and sky, I had to keep the window down.

I was here a couple of times in this area. Once with my wife in a newbie drive last year and again further south with @JeromeFJ on an intermediate drive. But it was the first time I had driven in this area. We spent a lot of time in the first 10 km section at the start because it was so fun. We drove this 10km stretch which is about 1/3rd of the total planned track as crow flies for about 2 hours and then rushed towards the exit in last one hour and ended the drive at 9:35 which included 20 min break for a pop out as well. I found it interesting that the dunes would push me into the narrow technical area repeatedly and I had to keep getting out only to find myself back in the narrow technical area.

For me it was an enjoyable drive with the entire convoy driving seamlessly and keeping up with the flow. It was in my opinion an elegant drive where we kept pace and drove as a unit. 

Thank you very much @Mehmet Volga for your presence and being the 2nd lead. it gave me a lot of confidence to drive the way I did today.

Also big thanks to @Rajiv Sam, @Joji varghese and @Pacific for playing the crucial role of supporting the drive.

@FERNANDO SYRIO, @Bashar Beasha and @Rk ram you guys were excellent and had a flawless drive. I am very impressed with your driving today.

The FJ gang of @Hugo and @Mohit Gurnani did well as usual.

All very experienced Jeep gang with @Naveen Raj, @Bjoern and 392 @Gok Krish were excellent as usual at the back. 

I will be looking forward to your comments on today's drive.

Till we loop again in the dunes, have a great week ahead.

"I found it interesting that the dunes would push me into the narrow technical area repeatedly and I had to keep getting out only to find myself back in the narrow technical area"

This area is known for that, if you are not careful it drags you into the technical dunes which can be challenging. Fayah has a special place in my heart as i came here first in July2021 and it quickly became one of my favorite areas. Whenever you have the chance, go and say hello to the fox burrows here:

24.37277, 55.07391

image.png.2fd759dae676bdb1f12257e302c4227d.png

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Important Information

Terms of use