•  

COVID 19 Compliant - ABSOLUTE NEWBIE Morning Desert Drive - Al Qudra Dubai - 13 Nov 2020

Wrangeld

3 minutes ago, paolo dassi said:

Hi Richard, no problems, I was not aware of this rule (did not read it carefully enough!). I signed to this as others were full and it's been some months I am not driving on sand. Anyway, enjoy the drive tomorrow and see you next time!

As I said, Paulo, thanks for the understanding. Indeed, it's a while since we saw you. Hopefully you can get back on the sand soon. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Hello Team,

I will join the drive tomorrow. I am an absolute newbie and here to learn whilst i enjoy the desert :)

To your question below:

Please share your vehicle details - Make, Model, Year. - JEEP | Wrangler 2 Door White | 2017

Do you have any prior off-road experience? - No prior off-road experience

Confirm your vehicle has front and rear tow hooks / eyelets.- Vehicle has front and rear tow hooks

I also have a flag n pole | deflator | compressor | Walkie talkie, hoping that should suffice for my first drive.
i would appreciate it if i could get a contact number for someone i could reach out to, if possible.

Thank you and see you all tomorrow 13/11/2020
Derek Fernandes

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Derek Fernandes said:

Hello Team,

I will join the drive tomorrow. I am an absolute newbie and here to learn whilst i enjoy the desert :)

To your question below:

Please share your vehicle details - Make, Model, Year. - JEEP | Wrangler 2 Door White | 2017

Do you have any prior off-road experience? - No prior off-road experience

Confirm your vehicle has front and rear tow hooks / eyelets.- Vehicle has front and rear tow hooks

I also have a flag n pole | deflator | compressor | Walkie talkie, hoping that should suffice for my first drive.
i would appreciate it if i could get a contact number for someone i could reach out to, if possible.

Thank you and see you all tomorrow 13/11/2020
Derek Fernandes

Hi Derek.

My number is 0504254574

See you in the morning. 

On 11/9/2020 at 2:37 PM, Hisham Masaad said:

Dear Richard,

Thank you for the message. Yes was actually disappointed at that incident. Since I was looking to join you, after my friend recommendation about Carnity.... but no issues, I am sure for good. I am driving FJ Cruiser, 2010 model. I have attended a course of 1 day with Emirates Institute. After that I used to go off-road with groups, few time a year. My vehicles has tow hooks front and rear. I am glad to join you on a beginner trip, for you to evaluate and asses. I am always keeping the full set of tools including air compressor. 

Look forward to see you.

Take care and Regards,

Hisham

Hi Hisham

Yes I imagine it was disappointing. Great that we will see you Friday. No doubt your experience will shine through. Good for us to know as well it's not your first time out with the car. 

See you Friday. 

Richard

• Like (+1) 1

Dear Al Qudra Absolute Newbies

The convoy positions for tomorrow (as at 8pm) are as follow. 

Wrangeld (Richard) 

ALI ALMOUMAR @ALI ALMOUMAR

Irshad Alam @Irshad Alam

varunmehndiratta @varunmehndiratta

Explored Dubai @Explored Dubai

Arman @Arman

Lorenzo @Lorenzo Candelpergher

Hisham Masaad @Hisham Masaad

HAZEM.Ali @HAZEM.Ali

Ken Hüüdma @Ken Hüüdma

Derek Fernandes @Derek Fernandes

Frederic @Frederic

Before the drive, there will be a briefing where we will check that all the briefing videos are understood. 

Look forward to seeing you in the sand tomorrow morning. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Wow what a drive!

For a group of drivers claming never to have driven in the sand before, this was an amazing drive. The skills learned, the patience shown, the team work and tarrain convered was fantastic. This really was a fantastic drive. And ... I did not make it 'easy' for the Absolute Newbies today and we covered a lot of the basics to prepare you for your next challenge next week ( ... if I heard correctly, you're all already hooked ;-) )

We started at the expected time, after dealing with delfation and organizing flags, radios and kill switches. And from then, we covered a ,ot of ground and crossed a lot of dunes, climbed up and down, and even went a little but sideways!!

Some specific feedback in no particular order (that might help when you venture back into the sand): 

ALI ALMOUMAR @ALI ALMOUMAR You have one of the best off road tools on the market. I think that you will understand that as your driving develops. Great job today with your first drive and I am looking forward to seeing you back next week to continue this story. 

Irshad Alam @Irshad Alam The Pajero is a great machine considering how comfortable it is on the road. You need to use the power more carefully and not be scared once the traction starts to go. You do have the magic button ((rear diff lock) so you can get out of everything. 

varunmehndiratta @varunmehndiratta Varun, your one or two outings with the other clubs helped you get into the swing quickly. It will take a little time until you get to grips with the power delivery and don't worry about braking at the crest. 

Explored Dubai @Explored Dubai for a first outing on your Pajero you had quite some chances to practice self recovery. You will have learned a lot from that that you can use in any drive in the future. 

Arman @Arman Hope that you sort out the cowl for the instruments. Great job today. Learn that the power is there when you need it and don't be scared of it, espeically when you are approaching a crest. If the car before made it, you will - without braking. 

Hisham Masaad @Hisham Masaad As a second lead you did a great job for a first time. You do need to pay a little bit more attention to what is being said from time to time which will come with experience. And Lorenzo's son was very grateful for your crest as he ahd specially requested that. 

HAZEM.Ali @HAZEM.Ali A great first drive. You need to watch your distance from other drivers a little more because of the risks of losing peiople in the desert. 

Ken Hüüdma @Ken Hüüdma You did really well for the first time out in your beast (and it is a beast). You'll need to learn to master the power, instead of it mastering you. 

Derek Fernandes @Derek Fernandes the jeep is an immense machine for these types of drives and the mods on yours will help you to a degree. Because it will make the start easier, don't get complacent and think that it's a simple thing to do. The screaming in your ears (from your amazing passanger - WHO SHOULD BE DRIVING) helps you understand if what you think is easy feels that way for someone else in the car. 

Lorenzo @Lorenzo Candelpergher and Frederic @Frederic what brilliant, amazing support for the drive. 

Key things - thanks to everyone, the drive was well organized and covid safe. Recoveries were all efficiently sorted and everyone learned a lot from either watching or recovering and I am looking forward to driving with you all again in the future. 

Q&A reply - all the Carnity marshals drive at all levels. It's the best way we know to enjoy from watching the incredible progress our club members make as they make it through the ranks. 

See you soon in the sand. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

1 hour ago, Wrangeld said:

Wow what a drive!

For a group of drivers claming never to have driven in the sand before, this was an amazing drive. The skills learned, the patience shown, the team work and tarrain convered was fantastic. This really was a fantastic drive. And ... I did not make it 'easy' for the Absolute Newbies today and we covered a lot of the basics to prepare you for your next challenge next week ( ... if I heard correctly, you're all already hooked ;-) )

We started at the expected time, after dealing with delfation and organizing flags, radios and kill switches. And from then, we covered a ,ot of ground and crossed a lot of dunes, climbed up and down, and even went a little but sideways!!

Some specific feedback in no particular order (that might help when you venture back into the sand): 

ALI ALMOUMAR @ALI ALMOUMAR You have one of the best off road tools on the market. I think that you will understand that as your driving develops. Great job today with your first drive and I am looking forward to seeing you back next week to continue this story. 

Irshad Alam @Irshad Alam The Pajero is a great machine considering how comfortable it is on the road. You need to use the power more carefully and not be scared once the traction starts to go. You do have the magic button ((rear diff lock) so you can get out of everything. 

varunmehndiratta @varunmehndiratta Varun, your one or two outings with the other clubs helped you get into the swing quickly. It will take a little time until you get to grips with the power delivery and don't worry about braking at the crest. 

Explored Dubai @Explored Dubai for a first outing on your Pajero you had quite some chances to practice self recovery. You will have learned a lot from that that you can use in any drive in the future. 

Arman @Arman Hope that you sort out the cowl for the instruments. Great job today. Learn that the power is there when you need it and don't be scared of it, espeically when you are approaching a crest. If the car before made it, you will - without braking. 

Hisham Masaad @Hisham Masaad As a second lead you did a great job for a first time. You do need to pay a little bit more attention to what is being said from time to time which will come with experience. And Lorenzo's son was very grateful for your crest as he ahd specially requested that. 

HAZEM.Ali @HAZEM.Ali A great first drive. You need to watch your distance from other drivers a little more because of the risks of losing peiople in the desert. 

Ken Hüüdma @Ken Hüüdma You did really well for the first time out in your beast (and it is a beast). You'll need to learn to master the power, instead of it mastering you. 

Derek Fernandes @Derek Fernandes the jeep is an immense machine for these types of drives and the mods on yours will help you to a degree. Because it will make the start easier, don't get complacent and think that it's a simple thing to do. The screaming in your ears (from your amazing passanger - WHO SHOULD BE DRIVING) helps you understand if what you think is easy feels that way for someone else in the car. 

Lorenzo @Lorenzo Candelpergher and Frederic @Frederic what brilliant, amazing support for the drive. 

Key things - thanks to everyone, the drive was well organized and covid safe. Recoveries were all efficiently sorted and everyone learned a lot from either watching or recovering and I am looking forward to driving with you all again in the future. 

Q&A reply - all the Carnity marshals drive at all levels. It's the best way we know to enjoy from watching the incredible progress our club members make as they make it through the ranks. 

See you soon in the sand. 

@Wrangeld Thanks a lot for the great drive today, it was really a great one and It was my pleasure meeting you all guys and the rest of the team today.

Myself conference in off-roading has been boosted very high with your, Frederic @Frederic and Lorenzo @Lorenzo Candelpergher guidance.

looking to see you soon in next drives.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Thanks @Wrangeld @Frederic @Lorenzo Candelpergher for great drive today. Your guidance, support and patience made it easy for us to explore ourselves and learn in the process of this drive. @Wrangeld really appreciate the feedback above. 

One small query from my side - I wanted to check after the trip somehow missed. Was it just my equipment or did all experienced a bit of noise on the walki/talkie frequency today? Perhaps too many groups today in Qudra using similar frequency. Kindly let me know your input as if it's my equipment issue will get it fixed/replaced. 

Thanks for the whole team for making it a fun day. 

• Like (+1) 3

Dear @Wrangeld,

What a beautiful drive today! 

It all started with me flashing @Frederic, who was quietly deflating in the dark, with my headlights when I parked my car behind his. I had the impression he would have probably enjoyed a more discreet "good morning" 😂.. 

As drivers arrived, everyone quickly deflated (@Derek Fernandes quickly learned how to use his E-Z deflator), and, for those who had it, mounted their flag.

With radios configured and tow points diligently checked, we were good to go. 

It was a pleasure, after several months of aseptic radio briefings, to have a real in person briefing standing in a circle, even if socially distanced. 

By 7am we were ready to hit the sand and the convoy started moving. 

Driving in the sand for the 1st time is never an easy experience. The car feels unstable, floats and wobbles, doesn't steer as expected, doesn't accelerate as expected.. wheels keep on spinning with little or no traction. It rolls, pitches and yaws fishtailing in new and unexpected ways. You can't recognise your own car! 

But, hey! The dunes are beautiful! What a landscape, what a mighty emptiness and how fresh is the air through the open windows... 

All is going great, then all of a sudden the first refusal happens. A wrong line, too little momentum, too much gas, a moment of hesitation and all the rolling and pitching disappears with your car stuck in the sand, heavy as a rock, inclined in ways you've never seen. The radio squeaks instructions from the Seniors: steer left, steer right, engage 4LO, little gas, more gas, again left and right, reverse, forward... Aaah. Too much all at once, along with the uncomfortable feeling that the rest of the convoy is watching and waiting for you.. 

Next comes the first tug after a real stuck. Seat belts on, 4LO engaged.. 1, 2.. 3!! And you are out! Damn, it was so easy.. 

The more you drive the more you feel this off-roading thing has the potential to become addictive, as you crave for the next dune to cross. I guess most of you felt this way today. 

Everyone did amazingly well today. @Wrangeld's lines weren't always the easiest ones and everyone had a chance to put their car (and themselves) to the test.

I had direct eyes on @Arman in front of me: very well driven, with a little more momentum you'll avoid finding yourself high and dry on your way to the top of the next dune.

I also frequently looked at my rear mirror to check for @Ken Hüüdma behind me. Our Y62s are huge beasts, with a lot of power to keep under control and a heavy back that fishtails without mercy, but you handled all situations very well. Again, a bit more momentum (which doesn't necessarily mean more power) will get you through the next crest. As I always say, don't be afraid, there is usually sand on the other side of the dune 😂😂...

@ALI ALMOUMAR, @Irshad Alam, @varunmehndiratta, @Explored Dubai@Hisham Masaad, @Hazem Ali, @Derek Fernandes@Arman, @Ken Hüüdma, you all must be congratulated on your first drive in the sand as you did incredibly well!

The best reward for @Wrangeld, @Frederic and myself will be to see you next werk in the sand. Looking forward to it! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 3

2 hours ago, varunmehndiratta said:

Thanks @Wrangeld @Frederic @Lorenzo Candelpergher for great drive today. Your guidance, support and patience made it easy for us to explore ourselves and learn in the process of this drive. @Wrangeld really appreciate the feedback above. 

One small query from my side - I wanted to check after the trip somehow missed. Was it just my equipment or did all experienced a bit of noise on the walki/talkie frequency today? Perhaps too many groups today in Qudra using similar frequency. Kindly let me know your input as if it's my equipment issue will get it fixed/replaced. 

Thanks for the whole team for making it a fun day. 

There was a lot of interference today. The frequencies we use are not exclusive, and the radios are not professional. 

If you heard the instructions it looks like what you have is good enough. 

1 hour ago, Lorenzo Candelpergher said:

Dear @Wrangeld,

What a beautiful drive today! 

It all started with me flashing @Frederic, who was quietly deflating in the dark, with my headlights when I parked my car behind his. I had the impression he would have probably enjoyed a more discreet "good morning" 😂.. 

As drivers arrived, everyone quickly deflated (@Derek Fernandes quickly learned how to use his E-Z deflator), and, for those who had it, mounted their flag.

With radios configured and tow points diligently checked, we were good to go. 

It was a pleasure, after several months of aseptic radio briefings, to have a real in person briefing standing in a circle, even if socially distanced. 

By 7am we were ready to hit the sand and the convoy started moving. 

Driving in the sand for the 1st time is never an easy experience. The car feels unstable, floats and wobbles, doesn't steer as expected, doesn't accelerate as expected.. wheels keep on spinning with little or no traction. It rolls, pitches and yaws fishtailing in new and unexpected ways. You can't recognise your own car! 

But, hey! The dunes are beautiful! What a landscape, what a mighty emptiness and how fresh is the air through the open windows... 

All is going great, then all of a sudden the first refusal happens. A wrong line, too little momentum, too much gas, a moment of hesitation and all the rolling and pitching disappears with your car stuck in the sand, heavy as a rock, inclined in ways you've never seen. The radio squeaks instructions from the Seniors: steer left, steer right, engage 4LO, little gas, more gas, again left and right, reverse, forward... Aaah. Too much all at once, along with the uncomfortable feeling that the rest of the convoy is watching and waiting for you.. 

Next comes the first tug after a real stuck. Seat belts on, 4LO engaged.. 1, 2.. 3!! And you are out! Damn, it was so easy.. 

The more you drive the more you feel this off-roading thing has the potential to become addictive, as you crave for the next dune to cross. I guess most of you felt this way today. 

Everyone did amazingly well today. @Wrangeld's lines weren't always the easiest ones and everyone had a chance to put their car (and themselves) to the test.

I had direct eyes on @Arman in front of me: very well driven, with a little more momentum you'll avoid finding yourself high and dry on your way to the top of the next dune.

I also frequently looked at my rear mirror to check for @Ken Hüüdma behind me. Our Y62s are huge beasts, with a lot of power to keep under control and a heavy back that fishtails without mercy, but you handled all situations very well. Again, a bit more momentum (which doesn't necessarily mean more power) will get you through the next crest. As I always say, don't be afraid, there is usually sand on the other side of the dune 😂😂...

@ALI ALMOUMAR, @Irshad Alam, @varunmehndiratta, @Explored Dubai@Hisham Masaad, @Hazem Ali, @Derek Fernandes@Arman, @Ken Hüüdma, you all must be congratulated on your first drive in the sand as you did incredibly well!

The best reward for @Wrangeld, @Frederic and myself will be to see you next werk in the sand. Looking forward to it! 

What an incredible report. Yes, we all felt exactly like that. Beautifully written. 

But what do you mean ... I did not always choose the easiest line 🤣🤣🤣

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Thanks a bunch @Wrangeld @Lorenzo Candelpergher @Frederic

Felt great to be able to just drive and not have to worry about negotiating a price with a towing service in the middle of a sand dune.

I like how Richard turns back when there's a longer wait and chats people up, makes it a really friendly experience and thanks Lorenzo for keeping an eye out for me! :D

Already looking up replacement bits for the instrument cluster cowl but for now duck tape will have to do.

On a side note, I've got a friend asking if he could sign up for a morning absolute newbie drive and then an afternoon newbie drive on the same day at once, assuming that completing the former qualifies him for the latter.

• Haha (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use