•  
Advertise here

Pajero - Getting Unstuck with Traction Control

Just now, Mohamed Seidam said:

I am not an electrician . I think it’s a set and reset mechanism and the kill switch is a bypass mechanism . In order not to disturb other functions like 4H function it’s advisable not to turn on or off the kill switch while the ignition on . Safer when the keys out completely. 
maybe some one can explain it technically better than I did 😅

As far as I know and what the mechanic informed me when I installed the kill switch we have to  off the ignition key because the ABS kill switch we install is not capable of tolerating the high amperage electric current flowing through it when the kill switch is switched to on position. To switch off the kill switch its not needed to switch off the ignition as electric flow is very less but we do it as practice and to be on the safe side. If we install a very good switch to kill the ABS its not needed to switch off the ignition as most OEM switches do. 

• Like (+1) 2

I have a connected (but slightly different!) issue with my X.  The kill switch worked like a charm, but over the last 2 or 3 drives, while the lights are on to say ABS and traction control has been disabled, it is clear that both are still very active - and resulted in my having zero power / no down-gearing in tricky situations (on an extreme drive!!).  Does anybody have any clue what can be wrong? I need to replace my clock spring as well - and was wondering whether this is confusing the TC?

@Emmanuel @Foxtrot Oscar @Chaitanya D @Mohamed Seidam @Frederic

Edited by Kalahari
  • Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Rizwanm2 said:

Thank you @Frederic @Mohamed Seidam

I agree and thank you for the clarification.

my point is who ever wants to use this trick should not engage rear diff lock (if its equipped in their vehicles).  

i am big fan of rear diff lock, its been piece of cake for all self recoveries. but will give a try next time to use this trick 😃

My bad @Frederic  You already explain this in your previous post. Just now only i saw this. 🤭

Hi yes this will also work, but not in combination with your rear difflock activated. So you could do like this:

1) First attempt with traction control OFF and rear difflock OFF

2) Second attempt with traction control OFF and rear difflock ON

3) Third attempt with traction control ON and rear difflock OFF

The problem is that Mitsubishi disables your traction control automatically when you go in 4Lo with Rear difflock ON.

Because of this, some guys in Australia designed a double-functionality killswitch that would enable you to engage your rear-difflock AND traction control at the same time. That would be in theory the most interesting feature for self-recovery.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Rizwanm2 said:

As per my knowledge and experience with xterra as soon as rear diff lock is engaged tranction control will be switched off automatically. Because technical its not possible to lock free spinning 1 wheel when its mechanically locked to spine simultaneously to the other side wheel. Hence my guess is you got out because of rear diff lock. 

But i might be wrong coz i dont have any experience in Pajeros. Please correct me if im wrong. @Frederic@Frederic @Gaurav Soni

@Rizwanm2 I tried to get out with Rd locked for a couple of minutes. The wheel spun with no movement. With traction ON with rd locked, the wheel found a little bit to nudge the car downwards and eventually get out. 

this trick imitates front differential lock with no effect on the Rear differential. 

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, GauravSoni said:

@Rizwanm2 I tried to get out with Rd locked for a couple of minutes. The wheel spun with no movement. With traction ON with rd locked, the wheel found a little bit to nudge the car downwards and eventually get out. 

this trick imitates front differential lock with no effect on the Rear differential. 

That is interesting to know.  thank you for the update. 

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Kalahari said:

I have a connected (but slightly different!) issue with my X.  The kill switch worked like a charm, but over the last 2 or 3 drives, while the lights are on to say ABS and traction control has been disabled, it is clear that both are still very active - and resulted in my having zero power / no down-gearing in tricky situations (on an extreme drive!!).  Does anybody have any clue what can be wrong? I need to replace my clock spring as well - and was wondering whether this is confusing the TC?

Yes, ABS does affect the transmission. Namely, the vehicle speed sensor is part of the ABS system.

2 hours ago, Kalahari said:

Sorry @Kalahari I have no idea what could be causing that

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kalahari said:

Dear @Kalahari,

Sorry for interfering into your thread. 1 doubt - How do you know if the clock spring is broken? Did you check the clock spring? Sometimes the speed sensor inside the transmission can go bad and create this confusion for the TC. I had a similar problem with the Altima. My cruise control stopped working after a transmission overhaul and all the mechanics was advising me to change the clock spring. The transmission also started to behave weird when this happened as it decides to shift gears unnecessarily giving a feeling the car is underpowered. Even when you switch to triptronic driving the gear seemed to have a mind of its own and started to shift as it wished after a few minutes. I was never convinced by the mechanics explanation and finally changed the transmission altogether as opening it and replacing the solenoid was as expensive as fixing a good second hand one. Viola the cruise control started to function seamlessly and guess what - the gear shifting is as per the vehicle's needs. Never replaced the clock spring even though many times I wanted to listening to the mechanics. The bonus point is the gas mileage has retuned back as the car chooses its gears as it wants. 

@Thomas Varghese the first indication was steering wheel controls for radio stopped working, then the horn. I tried replacing with used one, but it was not 100% same spec (so ABS kicked in every time I made a turn :-)). So put old one back and ordered new part from Nissan. Need to replace new one now. 
TC (traction control) is issue related to kill switch only. Worked 100% (with far more manual power when tackling steep dunes), but suddenly stopped working recently (despite kill switch seemingly doing its job).

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Kalahari said:

Does anybody have any clue what can be wrong?

@Kalahari probably some loose connection with the ABS kill switch wiring / Some sensor malfunction.

OBD check should hopefully give you a diagnosis.

• Like (+1) 4