•  

Twilight Newbie Desert Drive - Murquab to Last Exit - Dubai - 26 Aug 2021

Wrangeld

Thank you so much @Wrangeld for this nice drive, it was good learning and relaxing weekend drive in such a pleasant weather.

@Sunil Mathew@MUHAMMAD Kashif RAZZAQ  @Mario Cornejo appreciate your support, help & guidance.

Thanks to everyone in this convoy  for your patience.

Stay safe... See you in next drive. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Post Drive Report

Driving in the desert at night is not for everyone. For the majority of those that joined the drive last night there was a chance to enjoy the experience - because being experienced drivers, driving at Newbie level is a chance to enjoy the drive stress free. 

I am always delighted when we get a mix of experienced and newer drives. Beginners learn a massive amount from watching, following, emulating the experienced members. We were blessed with two late entry intermediates @Pacific and @Mario Cornejowhich meant I could pack the convoy with the additional experience of @Danish Mohammad knowing that our newly promoted Support Team member @MUHAMMAD Kashif RAZZAQ could handle enything that was placed in his way. 

In the end, the Newbies on the drive were @TheoB, @Santoso Marjuki and @Bernard Kalaani. It's never easy being on a drive with a lot of seniors ( @Sunil Mathew the only other driver on our list [great 2nd lead by the way] because there is a feeling that you are the only one getting refusals. So let's put this out there now: we expect that you will have refusals. In fact if you don't, we start to ask why, because that's how you learn. 

Notwithstanding, we had a great incident free evening yesterday. Convoy discipline was impeccable. There were no real challenging stucks and we covered all the ground that was planned so we finished the drive exaclty on time and where we planned to finish. 

Was this the most challenging drive ever? Of course not, it was not supposed to be. It delivered on the promise of getting from Murquab to Last Exit during which time we were able to make some nice small climbs, cross dunes straight on and even do a little side sloping (a really important skill). The drive did miss my signature of small technicals dunes - but that can come on another day. 

In the end, covering 50km at night, on difficult terrain for newbies was a really impressive achievement for the whole convoy. The newbies for completing the drive, the more experienced drivers for holding the discipline and reigning in your enthusiasm. 

From my side, it was well worth the late night (before an early morning) because the drive was great and I got the chance to practice self recovery a few times.

See you soon in the sand.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Well Done (+2) 2

It was mostly a smooth flowing drive , given  the route chosen by @Wrangeld, and thanks for trusting me with the 2nd lead role.

But for the "double stuck" at the same crest by me, it would have been almost recovery free. Continuously getting crested on the same dune twice and just scraping through on the 3rd attempt, is not really something to be proud of :-) . Thanks to  @MUHAMMAD Kashif RAZZAQ and @Abdul Rafay-S for the double tug, it must have been annoying to tug me out the second time 🙏 at the same place.

Still scratching my head, as to what was influencing my judgement , preventing me from getting that right level of gas, having done plenty of straight up/straight down on dunes. Probably the darkness, as this was my first proper night drive ? 

So , a lesson learnt - do more night drives and get it right!!!

Good to drive again with @Danish Mohammad @Pacific @Mario Cornejo, meeting some new faces @TheoB, @Santoso Marjuki and @Bernard Kalaani.

Looking forward and coming back for more !!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

5 hours ago, Sunil Mathew said:

It was mostly a smooth flowing drive , given  the route chosen by @Wrangeld, and thanks for trusting me with the 2nd lead role.

But for the "double stuck" at the same crest by me, it would have been almost recovery free. Continuously getting crested on the same dune twice and just scraping through on the 3rd attempt, is not really something to be proud of :-) . Thanks to  @MUHAMMAD Kashif RAZZAQ and @Abdul Rafay-S for the double tug, it must have been annoying to tug me out the second time 🙏 at the same place.

Still scratching my head, as to what was influencing my judgement , preventing me from getting that right level of gas, having done plenty of straight up/straight down on dunes. Probably the darkness, as this was my first proper night drive ? 

Good to drive again with @Danish Mohammad @Pacific @Mario Cornejo, meeting some new faces @TheoB, @Santoso Marjuki and @Bernard Kalaani.

It happens. All this moment did is show that taking the lead is a challenge. Normally you're following so see the way over. This one I asked you to reroute. You had the lead. That's a different experience.  Don't worry about it, don't put yourself under more pressure. Just enjoy. 

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

6 hours ago, Sunil Mathew said:

@Sunil Mathew no worries buddy. All was part of game. This is how we all learn. Rest is very well explained by @Wrangeld.

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Thank you Richard @Wrangeld for the lead/reroute perspective..didnt think of it that way ...no pressure, just enjoyment all the way as you said 👍👍😁

Off course @MUHAMMAD Kashif RAZZAQ, its a learning experience and you being part of support team, i foresee that this will be the norm for you for the coming days ..hehe..🙂

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use