•  
Advertise here

Nissan Patrol Y61 Tire Upgrades Help & Recommendations

3 hours ago, munkybizness said:

@Gaurav - I’m on the stock rims.

Are you 100% sure as I haven't seen blacked out rims on Patrol before, or Nissan swapped with something else? Are you the first owner or second?

You’re right about driver error.

I personally don't feel it can be driver error in your case as you've completed 44 drives. Such issue can be possible when driver recently move from Newbie to Fewbie level, but you are at IM now.

So far, all 5 pop outs I’ve had over 35 drives have happened on the front right wheel.

This make suspicion on one wheel whether stock or not. Maybe when you slap new tire, move this wheel back with cross rotation and see if still front right pops out or not. If still front right pops - may be driver or judgement or speed. If same wheel pops at back, surely its a faulty rim.

Cross rotation means: both rear tires come in front (on same side) and both front tires goes to back in opposite sides. This will help the evenly wear on tires too. Technically every car should have cross rotation at 10,000 kms for even wear, but we all are lazy.

Beyond that, I can’t think of other ways to address this. I never go below 11.5 - 12 psi on my stock rims, so low pressure isn’t really a concern right now.

As a general rule of thumb, at every pop out you need to increase 1 PSI to find the sweet spot for tire+rims+vehicle weight. But I never seen geolandars failing at 8-10 psi, whereas you are having pop out at 12. Very strange. Hope your gauge is correct and you've double check with other gauges too, to be 100% sure that its on 12 and not lower.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 hour ago, Srikumar said:

If the rims are an issue, try going with slightly narrow rims. The tyre sits a lot more tightly resulting in lesser chances of a popout

or slightly wider tire... 

I went for 275 instead of stock 265.  zero Popout till date. 

Always drive at 9-10 PSI

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Are you 100% sure as I haven't seen blacked out rims on Patrol before

They were introduced for the 2020 MY onwards. I'm the first owner.

image.png.ec6f9500a99e82265e1f6a0598a03c9c.png

@Gaurav - thanks for the logical step by step way to isolate and troubleshoot this. I'll get cracking with that for now. And see if the issue replicates itself on the rim (or with my driving ;))

8 minutes ago, Rizwanm2 said:

or slightly wider tire... 

@Rizwanm2 - I'm running the exact same size as my HTs ~ 275/65/r17. I will think about trying a 285/65 if the steps that Gaurav has listed doesn't work out. At which point, it's either changing to a wider tyre or a narrower rim (thanks @Srikumar

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, munkybizness said:

Just resurrecting this thread, because knowing how much the Geolandars GO15s are loved around here, I've had a pretty bad run with them so far. I've now had two tyres fail on me due to structural issues in their construction. And when you put that out of 5 tires - that's a 40% rate of failure already.

My Yoko Geolandar GO15s had barely 10k kms on them, when I developed the first issue. After suffering three pop-outs on the same tyre, I took it in for inspection to discover cuts in the bead lining. If the pressure was too low or the impact too hard, this would unseat itself.

1571239583_Geo-1-BeadliningIssue.png.fe7cd8a7cd7d0295c7adf93f09f7dece.png

And then, this weekend, my spare GO15, also suffered a pop-out. Of course, the majority of these pop-outs are my faults. Too hard of an impact or too violent with my cornering are all going to lead to unseating the bead, so I chalked it up to driver error (mine). On the way home, the tire that was refixed began to wobble which usually happens after popouts for me due to additional sand making it into the tire when inflating. I made it home, and then decided I would visit a tire shop on Sunday morning.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get to it before this evening, when driving it on the highway, the tire suddenly gave away. I somehow brought the car under control, and moved to the shoulder from where I headed to a tire shop - which was fortunately, just 200m out at a gas station. Here, we discovered the following issue in the internal wall of the tyre.

2032788700_Geo-2-SidewallIssue.png.203c3377d7f404d7c06d2a6bc1b2fcec.png

This is the second GO15 I have had an issue with in less than 4 months, with less than 15k kms of driving. At this point, I feel like I got extremely unlucky, and just got a bad batch. But, with two issues now, I'm also beginning to think if I need to get another brand of tires.

I’ve had the same issue for nov 2020 batch….but no pop out yet

D354C061-DC36-4216-9E71-34758F95CF0B.jpeg

453BDF6A-3370-4CD3-91BC-C3FB8FB62152.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, munkybizness said:

@Rizwanm2 - I'm running the exact same size as my HTs ~ 275/65/r17. I will think about trying a 285/65 if the steps that Gaurav has listed doesn't work out. At which point, it's either changing to a wider tyre or a narrower rim (thanks @Srikumar

Before you go wide please double check how much clearance you have to your fenders.  Much wider tire will have rubbing issue. 

for Xterra  275 fit perfectly without any rubbing, anything more will have to trim the fenders. 

• Like (+1) 1

@munkybizness - just a couple of comments from what I've read in this post and my own experience with the Y61 SWB: check the manual as there are 6 types of wheels and tires recommended for the Y61, if you decide to go for 285 tires, then double check the offset of the wheels so that they don't rub and damage the fenders.  Your current wheels are 17 x 8 JJ, offset +ve 10mm.

Also, consider the following: bigger tires mean added weight and a bigger diameter.  The diameter will affect the gear ratio of your car (Y61 Automatic Transmission has an end GR of 3.55, Manual Transmission models have a GR of 4.53) and, coupled to the added weight of the tires, you will feel some under performance when climbing.  The site tiresize.com has some tools to compare tire sizes, estimate the effective gear ratio and wheel offset, these will help simulate scenarios.

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

17 hours ago, munkybizness said:

But I’m also now thinking that when it comes to replacing this set with tires  that have stronger sidewalls, should I instead just get Cooper AT3s, or the Kumho MTs. Or as I build my rig into an overland, I take the dreaded step of getting the KO2.

Forgot to add: I heard that Coopers AT3s don't have stronger sidewalls.  Other brands to check are the new BFG's Trail Terrain, I've seen them for sale in tire shops, and the Michelins LTX Force.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@Mario Cornejo thank you so much for the focused information. Helps having another Y61 owner with as much experience as you do here to guide me on this 🙏🏽

I’m almost giving up on climbing and riding bowls in general, because the core reason why I got into off-roading - beginning with desert driving due to accessibility of terrain - was to learn the skills & technique in traversing through it. I will now be moving onto rocks and wadis because I want to start rounding my skills as an overlander more than a dune rider. For which, I will have to make other weight additions to the car that will regardless have an even more detrimental impact on the performance. These include a drawer system, an overhead rack, side awnings, etc. So I have to start forgetting about climbs & bowl riding anyway :)

Over the past eight months riding up to the IM level, I’ve realized that if I truly want to break through with a LWB Y61, I will need to significantly reduce its weight and improve powertrain response. Both of which are counter to why I got into this. So I will instead - when I have the capital in the future, and I’m craving the high speed pump - get a SWB Wrangler, Jeep 392, or Bronco Raptor and strip it down to the bare minimum for the adrenaline pushing dune driving :)

As far as Cooper AT3s go, I’m more keen on the XLT variant rather than the 4S. Have you heard similar reviews about it too? I saw that you were running Coopers in Liwa so you have the first hand experience here.

Edited by munkybizness
  • Like (+1) 1

Hi @munkybizness, i drive a prado and have had the exact same issue on my front right wheel. After 2 pop outs, went and got new Methods with beadgrip. The first two rides after that were ok and on third i again had a leaking front right tyre, it probably didnt come off due the beadgrip grooves (i guess that worked out well) bt the point is its the same front right one. The next drive leaked again, that was probably my mistake as i hadnt removed the tyre and cleaned the grooves of any sand after the earlier drive when this issue happened, partly because when i filled the tyre, pressure was holding pretty good so i thought the issue is resolved. 
anyhow will see what happens in the next drive but ive also reached a conclusion that its not the tyre or the rim but my driving style thats causing this though i cant really point out what exactly it is that im doing wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1