COVID 19 Compliant - Afternoon Newbie Desert Drive - Bab al Shams - Dubai - 11 Dec 2020

Gaurav

56 minutes ago, Rahimdad said:

@Shehab Alawadhi great question. When I learn I will let you know. Seriously, getting a refusal or getting stuck is part of your learning process. I've been out in the dunes for over 12 years and I'm still learning. Main thing in a stuck or refusal is to stay calm, you think better when your mind is at peace. The key to not getting stuck is momentum, the right speed at the right time. You have to perfect the knowledge of when to accelerate and when to let the throttle go. You will only learn this with time as your vehicle and you become one. Remember when Ironman first wore his suit, he destroyed everything in his lab. With time he learned how to control his suit, with nobody to guide him. You're lucky you have excellent people around you to teach and guide you so you don't have to destroy your lab. Enjoy, look closely how the vehicle in front of you is managing the situation and learn and replicate their actions. Happy learning bro. Looking forward to catching up with you on one of the drives.

imp totally prepared to get stuck because most of my off roading experience (before carnity) is helping other people get out of stucks or refusals just by watching and helping not necessarily driving. 

Excellent example of Iron Man, im kind of a HUGE marvel fan 🤣

Im glad everyone around me is helpful and awesome really amps up the drives fun level.

Inshallah see you soon! would love to drive with everyone in this club hopefully!

15 minutes ago, Thomas Varghese said:

@Shehab Alawadhi I was watching you climb up the dune and slowing down near the top. I think you lost the momentum because you were unsure of the incline on the other side. Seeing you getting stuck made me increase the speed and I was prepared for the dive down in case it was really steep. I was sure it was safe to increase the momentum as the Marshall @Gaurav & @Jeepie will not let us do an unsafe drive and cause a casualty and I saw others safely negotiating the dune and you getting stuck as you lost the momentum. Taught me a valuable lesson - TRUST THE MARSHAL and just drive as he instructs.  

Absolutely agree I miscalculated and let go of the throttle too early because I thought I had enough momentum, thankfully I had enough traction in the back wheels to just get me over the crest so gravity can do the rest. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

3 minutes ago, Shehab Alawadhi said:

imp totally prepared to get stuck because most of my off roading experience (before carnity) is helping other people get out of stucks or refusals just by watching and helping not necessarily driving. 

Excellent example of Iron Man, im kind of a HUGE marvel fan 🤣

Im glad everyone around me is helpful and awesome really amps up the drives fun level.

Inshallah see you soon! would love to drive with everyone in this club hopefully!

Absolutely agree I miscalculated and let go of the throttle too early because I thought I had enough momentum, thankfully I had enough traction in the back wheels to just get me over the crest so gravity can do the rest. 

The same thing happened to me in my Absolute Newbie drive with @Frederic & @sertac. My car was in the same situation as yours. It was perched on top of the dune. I was afraid I may damage the underside of my car and slowed down when I neared the top. Unfortunately mine was the last car to negotiate the dune and the sand was already churned up. Once I got unstuck with the help of @sertac I understood these types of maneuvers has to be done with absolute confidence on the Marshalls and let go off your fear and don't let go off the momentum.

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

46 minutes ago, Thomas Varghese said:

The same thing happened to me in my Absolute Newbie drive with @Frederic & @sertac. My car was in the same situation as yours. It was perched on top of the dune. I was afraid I may damage the underside of my car and slowed down when I neared the top. Unfortunately mine was the last car to negotiate the dune and the sand was already churned up. Once I got unstuck with the help of @sertac I understood these types of maneuvers has to be done with absolute confidence on the Marshalls and let go off your fear and don't let go off the momentum.

Sweet, ill make sure to go over a dune smoothly next time and hopefully see you on another drive!

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Thomas Varghese said:

let go off your fear and don't let go off the momentum.

Very well said and it’s true 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Shehab Alawadhi said:

thats such a good picture! 

@Shehab Alawadhi I like to click pictures and always carry my camera kit wherever I go. This was my only hobby before, after the hectic pressures of running a business but now with the new toy the XTERRA I have added another hobby to clicking pictures. Traverse the desert and try to absorb its beauty through my camera. 

3 minutes ago, Thomas Varghese said:

@Shehab Alawadhi I like to click pictures and always carry my camera kit wherever I go. This was my only hobby before, after the hectic pressures of running a business but now with the new toy the XTERRA I have added another hobby to clicking pictures. Traverse the desert and try to absorb its beauty through my camera. 

IMG_2628-2.jpg

• WOW (+2) 2

@Thomas Varghese I disagree for you to accelerate to a point where you feel you're going to fly over the dune.  Although there is sand on the other side but as a Newbie you don't know how your vehicle will react to landing hard on the other side. I would much rather have you try it out a few times before getting it right.

@Shehab Alawadhi please follow our video instructions for newbies and start with lower RPM, if you get stuck reverse and try again at slightly higher RPM. I would rather have you learn to perfect your throttle than putting you in any kind of danger.

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Rahimdad said:

@Thomas Varghese I disagree for you to accelerate to a point where you feel you're going to fly over the dune.  Although there is sand on the other side but as a Newbie you don't know how your vehicle will react to landing hard on the other side. I would much rather have you try it out a few times before getting it right.

@Shehab Alawadhi please follow our video instructions for newbies and start with lower RPM, if you get stuck reverse and try again at slightly higher RPM. I would rather have you learn to perfect your throttle than putting you in any kind of danger.

alright will do, no problem. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Thomas Varghese said:

IMG_2628-2.jpg

Ill try to stay near you when we Inshallah when we meet again 🤣

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

Thanks for the advice @Rahimdad. Will follow your advice for the next drive. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shehab Alawadhi said:

alright will do, no problem. Thank you!

Ill try to stay near you when we Inshallah when we meet again 🤣

For sure

• Like (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use