•  

COVID19 Compliant - Afternoon Intermediate Desert Drive - Short & Sharp Lisaili - Dubai - 24 Apr 2021

Wrangeld

It was long and action packed drive for sure. But I believe that we all learned a lot more again, especially related to special situations & recoveries.

Thank you for the professional & safely managed convoy, @Wrangeld and @Islam Soliman ! Good work !

See you soon on sand again !

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

15 hours ago, Thomas Varghese said:

IMG_3176.jpg

Its not everyday I get to take pictures like this. The car even though touching the ground only on 2 wheels while 2 wheels are in the air was stable through out the recovery process. The driver and passenger was safe. It was breath stopping watching attaching the tow rope to the underside of the car while the car was suspended in this position. Thanks to God all turned out well. Great lesson in recovery. What mattered most was keeping a level head and not panicking. With Richard @Wrangeld directing the recovery I knew it will be uneventful and will succeed. I witnessed the finest minutes of recovery in this incident. What Richard mentioned as the reason is true. The car lost its momentum and the driver tried to fight gravity. Even though at a precarious angle the Y62 didn't roll over but stood tall with his head high. 

What started off as an uneventful IM drive with 3 pop out within half an hour of start of the drive turned out very eventful towards the middle and end. This reminds us of our instructions given to us right from our Absolute Newbie days. 

NEVER FIGHT GRAVITY.

IF YOU LOST YOUR MOMENTUM COME DOWN IMMEDIATELY.

DON"T GET DISTRACTED WHATEVER HAPPENS INSIDE THE CAR. 

I'm glad that no body got hurt and the car came out with no damage. You guys already answered the questions running in my head.

Since I still haven't joined any intermediate drive, I would like to ask, is it much different than the fewbie plus drives? Is the side sloping done in intermediate (especially this one) much different than the ones we used to do in other drives?

After seeing this, I got a bit hesitant joining intermediate drives😂.

• Like (+1) 2

@Thomas Varghese I am sure Nissan will be very happy with a copy of your picture for their 'go anywhere' marketing campaign. 

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Lawrence_Chehimi said:

I'm glad that no body got hurt and the car came out with no damage. You guys already answered the questions running in my head.

Since I still haven't joined any intermediate drive, I would like to ask, is it much different than the fewbie plus drives? Is the side sloping done in intermediate (especially this one) much different than the ones we used to do in other drives?

After seeing this, I got a bit hesitant joining intermediate drives😂.

Hi Lawrence, 

Here's one immediate difference - we side sloped here on the slip face, not the wind side of the dune. I would guess that all the side sloping you did to date was on the hard side of the dune. 

Other differences:

• Speed. IM you simply need to keep up. No one is waiting round to make sure you are keeping up.
  • Warnings: The drive lead is not going to be telling you where every bump or sharp dune is on an IM drive. If you have any bumper angst at all, it's not a great place to be. 
  • Criss-crossing: You'll be expected to be able to do this from both sides of a dune

Being hesitant to sign up for an IM - in my view that's a pretty smart tactic. Build up the skills by doing more and more FB+, where there will always be elements of IM. 

The best drivers around are those that patiently (and sometimes impatiently) waited to get their promotion. Thrown straight into an IM after the 'required' number of Fewbie drives means you can do the drive. There is a lot I can do, but not all of it is fun. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Wrangeld said:

@Thomas Varghese I am sure Nissan will be very happy with a copy of your picture for their 'go anywhere' marketing campaign. 

Especially with only 2 wheels on the ground and the car remains in equilibrium with driver and passenger inside. Never seen a sight like this in my life. Its either 4 wheels on the ground or 4 wheels pointing sideways or the sky. I have only seen in movies cars being driven on 2 wheels. 

Important Information

Terms of use